Cummins r2.8 into 1990 Toyota 4Runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How does it drive?
I absolutely love this chassis, but the 3vz is a real pain in the ass to work on. However I have been lucky, no HG problems. She only burns a bit of oil, just keeps going.

What would be needed to keep the IFS?

Wow!! Looks like an awesome build. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Sub'd.

As an aside, I met up with Fred Williams this past week and got to look over his TubeSock Jeep with the R2.8. He says it really performs well - both on the highway as well as the trail. Looking it over, it would definitely fit well in a Toyota.

Encouraging news on R2.8
I am ready to take the plunge just need to know if there is clearance issues with the 2nd Gen IFS - this will be an overland rig so I really don’t want to swap for solid axle. THANKS! Any input on fittment into 2nd Gen would be much appreciated!

If you're familiar with Fred, you're probably familiar with "Clampy" - his '86 pickup - so he's more than familiar with the 2nd Gen trucks. His comment when I mentioned that the R2.8 would be sweet in my '85 was that the R2.8 is "somewhat tall" - which I took to mean you'd likely have to deal with some clearance issues from hood to axle. The '85 "McFly" Toyota mentioned earlier has some photos underneath the front end. It has a 3" lift and that looks to be about how much clearance is between the oil pan and axle.

Encouraging news on R2.8
I am ready to take the plunge just need to know if there is clearance issues with the 2nd Gen IFS - this will be an overland rig so I really don’t want to swap for solid axle. THANKS! Any input on fittment into 2nd Gen would be much appreciated!
2.8 will not fit with IFS, it is too tall.
Look into the 1.9 vw swaps. They work very well in the 3rd gen trucks.
Or a 3rz or the 3.4 taco drive-line...

The easy solution to a 3.0 is a 3.4.

Unless you live here. Then it's not so easy.

2.8 will not fit with IFS, it is too tall.
Look into the 1.9 vw swaps. They work very well in the 3rd gen trucks.
Or a 3rz or the 3.4 taco drive-line...
Yep about 4” to tall at 28.3 inches 2.8 not happening with IFS unless other major mods like refab hood and possible redesign oil pan... putting project on hold while weighing other options

A friend did the 1.9L swap in an '89, complete with a mech IP conversion. Could NOT keep it cool on the highway. Ended up sticking some pistons and is now working on a late model Toyota 4cyl turbo-diesel swap.

A friend did the 1.9L swap in an '89, complete with a mech IP conversion. Could NOT keep it cool on the highway. Ended up sticking some pistons and is now working on a late model Toyota 4cyl turbo-diesel swap.
I think best option is going to be the Toyota 1KD-FTV. Also found out R2.8 made in China - NO THANKS!

I think best option is going to be the Toyota 1KD-FTV. Also found out R2.8 made in China - NO THANKS!
Lots of stuffs made in China these days. Not so bad if they're given the materials and specs and guidance to work with.

1kd for the win! Can you get one?

Lots of stuffs made in China these days. Not so bad if they're given the materials and specs and guidance to work with.

1kd for the win! Can you get one?
China they definitely know how to copy. Searching for the D4D now will update.

Encouraging news on R2.8

I'm doing an R2.8 swap into my 2nd gen 4runner and keeping IFS. You can check out my build thread here: Builds - Cummins R2.8 in 2nd gen 4Runner

It is a tight squeeze, and required a 1" Diff Drop front and rear, 1" body lift, and a modified aluminum oil pan. So not impossible, but not super straight forward either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom