Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Literally my only regret going v8 vs diesel is the lack of spooled turbo sounds..

Literally my only regret going v8 vs diesel is the lack of spooled turbo sounds..

You can put a turbo on your LS, piece of cake!! :steer:

You can put a turbo on your LS, piece of cake!! :steer:

Yeah, but I don't want it running 20psi going down the freeway. Not for long anyway.

Putting off turbo rebuild for the weekend so I can bring it inside when the wife is working. My shop is packed full with both cruisers with no room for anything. So today I adding the fuel pressure gauge and changed out the overflow valve.

Before. Took the left banjo fitting out of the mix.
IMG_4841.JPG

Snubber banjo bolt and gauge installed.
IMG_4843.JPG

Old overflow valve.
IMG_4845.JPG

New adjustable valve installed. It came preset at factory setting.
IMG_4848.JPG

To remove the original I had to take out the set screw to have enough room to take out the OFV, which then fell behind the injector pump. I finally got to use the tool that Arnold used to pull the tracking device from his nose in Total Recall. I don't know the technical term for it so that's how I describe it.
IMG_4846.JPG

Turbo rebuild went well. Only issue I had was removing the compressor housing from the exhuast side housing end. I tried beating it with a dead blow hammer, heat, and wood wedges. I ended up using four couplers and bolts to put between them to press them apart. That took about 3-4 hours of thinking and doing while the actual rebuild took all of 20 minutes. You will need the smallest snap ring pliers known to man to do the job right. I had to grind the prongs of the smallest ones I had to make work.
IMG_4852.JPG
IMG_4853.JPG

New parts next to old parts that were replaced.
IMG_4854.JPG

It would be back on the truck except I wanted to replace a few things that didn't come with the rebuild kit like oil feed line washers, and exhuast manifold to turbo gasket. I also had to leave town for work until Sunday so I should have it back together early next week.
I didn't think I had much play in the wheel when removed but it definitely has less now so that is good.

Nice work!! I just went through rebuilding the Garret on my ford last night. Even easier than that holset above. No snap rings to deal with.

Solid work Cim.
I hope so. We will see when I take it for the first test drive. Still need to inspect intercooler piping for boost leaks.

Nice work!! I just went through rebuilding the Garret on my ford last night. Even easier than that holset above. No snap rings to deal with.
I think that will be next as my Ford could use some love. It gets driven like a rental and abused. My step son drove it to school the other day with the parking brake on. He called when he got to school and asked "Does your truck normally smoke from the rear wheels after you drive it?" He then asked "Was I dragging the rear tires as I drove?" Were we all that stupid at 16?

Hahaha!! That's awesome. I don't think I was that stupid but maybe I was!
I am pretty sure I was. I remember driving my dad's 83 Bronco like it was a hotrod. I also remember getting stuck in the mud at night on private property a few times. This was before cell phones so it was a good walk to find a pay phone to call a friend with a 4wd to come pull me out before anyone noticed.

Putting off turbo rebuild for the weekend so I can bring it inside when the wife is working. My shop is packed full with both cruisers with no room for anything. So today I adding the fuel pressure gauge and changed out the overflow valve.

Before. Took the left banjo fitting out of the mix.
View attachment 1439745

Snubber banjo bolt and gauge installed.
View attachment 1439746

Old overflow valve.View attachment 1439747

New adjustable valve installed. It came preset at factory setting.
View attachment 1439749

To remove the original I had to take out the set screw to have enough room to take out the OFV, which then fell behind the injector pump. I finally got to use the tool that Arnold used to pull the tracking device from his nose in Total Recall. I don't know the technical term for it so that's how I describe it.
View attachment 1439748

Mechanical fingers BTW how do you read that fuel pressure Gage

Mechanical fingers BTW how do you read that fuel pressure Gage
Easy as looking at it with the hood up. It's just there to check every now and then. 30psi is stock I believe but haven't started it yet to see where I am at.

Easy as looking at it with the hood up. It's just there to check every now and then. 30psi is stock I believe but haven't started it yet to see where I am at.

I meant, while driving :hillbilly:

When I was 16, I had a 1994 Toyota extended cab, with 31's and I remember driving home real late at night, and I started hearing a helicopter flying right over my head. It started getting louder and louder, I seriously was looking up out the windows trying to find this helicopter!

Turns out I had a flat tire and was just beating the piss out of it continuing to drive while looking for a "helicopter". :confused:

I think that will be next as my Ford could use some love. It gets driven like a rental and abused. My step son drove it to school the other day with the parking brake on. He called when he got to school and asked "Does your truck normally smoke from the rear wheels after you drive it?" He then asked "Was I dragging the rear tires as I drove?" Were we all that stupid at 16?

I got the turbo installed back in last night. I took it for a test run and boost is back and my weird noise is gone so that's good. My EGTs are still higher than normal so now I need to fiddle with the AFC housing. Seemed to smoke a bit more at wot as well. At 20-25psi of boost during 5th gear heavy acceration I am at 750-800 degrees at the downpipe. Not terrible, still in the green on the gauge but over 800 goes into the yellow. Im going to drive it to work today to get normal driving temps and see how EGTs are accerating on hills.

I got the turbo installed back in last night. I took it for a test run and boost is back and my weird noise is gone so that's good. My EGTs are still higher than normal so now I need to fiddle with the AFC housing. Seemed to smoke a bit more at wot as well. At 20-25psi of boost during 5th gear heavy acceration I am at 750-800 degrees at the downpipe. Not terrible, still in the green on the gauge but over 800 goes into the yellow. Im going to drive it to work today to get normal driving temps and see how EGTs are accerating on hills.
What I would give to have 800 EGTs on the highway. Count your blessings and enjoy the truck.

What I would give to have 800 EGTs on the highway. Count your blessings and enjoy the truck.
Your prope is on the manifold, right? Downpipe is +\-200 degrees cooler so it's deceiving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom