Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How did you go about changing the dash light color to red? Did you change over the back lights in the dash switches too?

How did you go about changing the dash light color to red? Did you change over the back lights in the dash switches too?
Sorry for the late response. Yes I replaced all dash light to red LED. For the switches I replaced all to red LEDs as well but had to replace all the plastic logos also. I used a combination of white packing tape, double sided tape, and @NLXTACY logo sheet printed on clear paper.

Forgot I never posted anything from my Big Bend trip a few weeks ago with the wife. We opted to stay in the Chisos Lodge for two might and then staying the campground the next two nights. It was full of college kids on winter break. This made for great people watching at night. Lots of first time campers attempting to get there charcoal grills going in the cold wind. It brought back fond memories of playing with lighter fluid when I was there age. Anyway truck did great and it was a nice relaxing weekend of off-roading and hiking.
IMG_4478.JPG
IMG_4483.JPG
IMG_4455.JPG

Best vehicle I saw on the trip. We saw several German vehicles and couples living life to the fullest in the US but this one was a monster.
IMG_4453.JPG

And this a crappy photo of my @LandCruiserPhil side panel under the mountain my stepson based his artwork on.
IMG_4487.JPG

Sorry for the late response. Yes I replaced all dash light to red LED. For the switches I replaced all to red LEDs as well but had to replace all the plastic logos also. I used a combination of white packing tape, double sided tape, and @NLXTACY logo sheet printed on clear paper.

Can you still dim the lights? Can they still be turned off with the dimmer switch?

Thanks for the info. Its now on my list :beer:

Haven't done much lately to the 80 since the 40 is getting all the attention. I did add a hand throttle yesterday that I got in trade from @bloc. The main use will be as a high throttle for when idling or sitting in traffic to keep the oil pressure up. Pretty straight forward install. Only hard part is the contorting of your body to work under the dash. This afternoon I will fire it up to see how it works.
I would prefer the throttle to be like the one in my BJ40 that clicks rather than the pull and twist lock. Much easier to know your rpm set points with the click type.
IMG_4704.JPG

I'd love to see how you connected the to the throttle linkage...this would be great for those cold morning warm ups too.
Depending on the year most 80s already have the pedal with bracket. Took all of 5 minutes to install. My 80 and LX both have the them. If I remember I will snap a photo when I get home.

It's been a bad week for my Land Cruisers. Both have fuel leaks at the primer pump while the Cummins leaked at the fuel filter as well. . Today was the day I replace the lift pump/primer pump in the Cummins and in the process I deleted the fuel heater/pre filter. I also found a fuel filter without the stupid WIF drain. I had no problem with it until i found it leaking. I had noticed my mileage had been down along with power.

This is what I took off. Lift pump on the right and fuel heater and pre filter on the left. I never had the heater hooked up. It's a well known leak spot. I had already fixed a leak in the plunger a year or two ago. This time the lift pump was leaking at the rear so time for replacement.
IMG_4815.JPG

New pump with hose and barb to delete the heater. It also came with studs to replace the bolts making install and replacement easier.
IMG_4816.JPG

Studs, heater delete spacer and gasket ready for pump.
IMG_4820.JPG

Lift pump installed. Bad thing is I must have not gotten all the original gasket off and it has a slight oil leak. Enough that tomorrow I will take it back off and scrape off what I missed.
IMG_4821.JPG

Direction stated to pump primer 100 times and then pump another 100 after you take a break. It was nice to not leak diesel in the process and it fired right up. Hopefully mileage comes back up. I had been getting 16mpg instead of 18mpg. Sorry gassers, it is what it is. ;)

Took lift pump back off earlier and it was a small piece of old gasket I missed under the new one that was causing the oil leak. With the studs instead of bolts it literally tool me 10 minutes to remove it. No leaks now, all is good. :smokin:

Love those serviceability modifications.

I wasn't previously aware of the fuel heater/pre-filter. I assume it filters fuel before it runs through the lift pump? Having the heater would be nice in colder climates, but not needed in TX :grinpimp:

I've got a racor fuel filter sitting on the shelf for a rainy day project to put in as a pre-filter for Moonshine. Not sure I'll ever get to that project though.

Love those serviceability modifications.

I wasn't previously aware of the fuel heater/pre-filter. I assume it filters fuel before it runs through the lift pump? Having the heater would be nice in colder climates, but not needed in TX :grinpimp:

I've got a racor fuel filter sitting on the shelf for a rainy day project to put in as a pre-filter for Moonshine. Not sure I'll ever get to that project though.
Yes just a pre filter, nothing fancy. I replaced the screen last year and expected it to be nasty but it looked great. Less plastic to get brittle and fail now.
Next up rebuilding my turbo which seems cheap and easy to do myself. I's making a slight noise under boost and my EGTs are a bit higher than normal. I still have always stay in the green on the gauge but on long highway inclines it is close to getting in the yellow. Have you ever serviced your turbo?

Yes just a pre filter, nothing fancy. I replaced the screen last year and expected it to be nasty but it looked great. Less plastic to get brittle and fail now.
Next up rebuilding my turbo which seems cheap and easy to do myself. I's making a slight noise under boost and my EGTs are a bit higher than normal. I still have always stay in the green on the gauge but on long highway inclines it is close to getting in the yellow. Have you ever serviced your turbo?

I haven't, but I will need to in not too long. I blew a boost tube on the highway a few weeks ago that coated the PS of my engine bay (and hood) with oil and now my turbo makes a whining noise, like a supercharger, at higher boost levels.

I am tearing into the Garret on my Ford to clean the VGT vanes and I've got axial as well as raidal play, so a rebuild is in my near future I fear. In theory it's easy to tear apart, take the compressor wheel off, slide the shaft out, pull off the compressor and turbine housings, then the thrust bearing and you've got access both to the matrix oil seals as well as the bronze bushings that the shaft rides on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom