Cleaning your sunroof drains FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've done extensive research on fixing a leaking sunroof. I've watched videos, looked at photos, and read many threads but I still need some help.

I'm not having the usual problem if wet floor boards so much as it runs out the rear driver side and passenger side of the sunroof area. I have had some wet floor boards, but not as much as it just pouring out onto us while driving away after a bad rain storm.

I've run 12 gauge wire through the front drain lines and have made it to what I assume is the end of the line, because I simply cannot push the wire any further. I've tried to find the plugs underneath my vehicle that I'm supposed to open up to help water drain through but I'm not sure if they are the correct plugs.

I've taken some photos of a few different plugs underneath the vehicle and need your input as to which plug does what. Also, the roof rack is gone from the vehicle and some of the roof rack screw holes are without screws, leaving them open. I'm wondering if this, rather than a clogged drain line, is what's causing my leaking sunroof.

I've attached photos of everything and would appreciate any feedback.

Below is a series of photos, each with a specific question.

1. As you can see, screws are missing from where the roof rack was removed by the previous owner. Could these holes result in my sunroof area, or any area, leaking after a hard rain? Side note: I caused a lot of sunroof leaking when I performed a test of running water into the sunroof drain reservoir area which means the sunroof area is definitely leaking, but I'm not sure if the tiny screw holes are a problem.
IMG_1004.jpg

2. This is what my leaky sunroof looks likes
IMG_1001.jpg

3. In the center left portion of this photo you can see a hole where I removed a rubber plug. When the plug was removed, I saw what looked to be the shrink wrap that binds a wire harness. Is this the plug that's supposed to be removed to help drain out the sunroof drains?
IMG_0992.jpg

4. A few inches up from the center of the photo shows another drain plug found towards the rear of my vehicle. Is this the rear sunroof drain plug? (I have a 1996 LX450 which I believe I have seen others say has front and rear sunroof drain lines)
IMG_0993.jpg

5. This last photo is supposed to show the underneath of my rocker panel and step-up thing. As you can see, all the water seems to be flowing out of this, and not from the hole where I removed the rubber plug. When I flood the sunroof drain area, the water on the passenger side slowly drips out from the underside of the step-up thing. It drips from about four different locations from the underside of the step-up. No water came out from where I removed the black rubber plug. I think I saw another small plug located between the step-up and the rocker panel. Is that the actual plug I'm supposed to remove?
IMG_0997.jpg

I just purchased my LX450 and I'm starting to slowly do some fixes, starting with this sunroof leaking problem. Even after extensive research, I get under my truck and can't seem to figure out which hold / plug is what.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

1. yes fill those holes with silicone.

2. there are 4 drain lines. the rear two can be seen poking out of the rear most quarter toward where the spare tire would be. The front two dump right behind the kick panal where your feet are in the front seat. They just dump water in the rocker panal, that then allows water out of the small gaps along the rocker.

I just did this clean out for the first time this weekend. Here is how I would approach again.

1. get shop vac and make adapter to use 1" flexible pvc hose on end. Vaccuum out front two drains and then run along outside of track and get the rear drains one at a time. While you have vacuum on those rear lines, run a weedeater line up the rear lines to the top. You likely will not be able to make the last turn; however, you should put enough line in to make it within 5" of the top. Again, do this step with the vacuum in place to grab anything you loosen up. Next get an air line and blow some air through the line. Not much air, just a few blasts.

FYI, we used a flexible camera to snake in there and look at the drain holes. Found a stick and some pine needles. Vacuum/ air was able to get them out.

2. on front lines put the weedeater cable from top down. pull off the kickpanal and make sure line was able to get through. Reach in grab the line and bend it out to confirm line is through. If it will not go through, work backwards.

3. finally check rocker area to make sure the pinch welds are not full of dirt. Worst case drill a hole in there. Who ever sees that area anyway.

3. use a pitcher of water to check all drains work and that water is coming out of rocker.

notes: don't blow air down the hose, might pop off.

2fpower,

How do I access the bottom of the front drain lines? Do I have to take my side-step off? I can't figure out which plug is the front drain plug.

Great question...

So wtf is the water coming in if it's apparently NOT the sunroof drains? I just ran some wire down mine, poured water down both sides, and the water drained down and out all four corners just like it should.
I have had a leak the past couple days on my drivers side (RHD) right in the A pillar where the horizontal stitching of the liner goes across the pillar to the roof (right above the grab handle). My floor is dry but my passenger side floor is soaked.

Thanks for this thread....helped out during this super soaker of a California Winter !!

Picked up an LX450 - went to wash it in a drive thru car wash and man o man -- a waterfall appeared out of no-where in both driver and passenger side. Going to try some of the fixes here. What a mess.

Last edited:
Picked up an LX450 - went to wash it in a drive thru car wash and man o man -- a waterfall appearedout of no-where in both driver and passenger side. Going to try some of the fixes here. What a mess.

Yup!

Mines washes the crotch of the front passenger, the tennis shoes of the rear passenger, and the left ear of the driver.

Now it finally broke the cables, so I taped it shut until I can drop it and replace it.

Mines off at the moment. What did you use to remove all that foam/sponge type dusty stuff stuck on the top. I hate it plus I'm sound proofing it so it has to go
I used a wire wheel then added b-quiet ultimate followed by the reflective bubble wrap looking stuff.

DSCF5772.jpg
DSCF5788.jpg
DSCF5783.jpg
DSCF6166.jpg
DSCF6169.jpg

Thisbis for 100 series, but I really appreciate the detailed procedures and experiences shared on this thread! I have the same problem with my front passenger side which I originally thought was related to a bad windshield install.

So I removed the assist handle and sunvisor to get underneath the headliner covering and discovered my drain tube was pressed together by a couple wires (looks like airbag wire and another black wire) and cinched shut. That's why water was not going through and created a pool for water to accumulate. If the rain was heavy enough it will pass through the A pillar on to the floor.

So I followed the procedure and floss the drain tube, opening it with a pair of pliers before hand. That totally did the trick! To prevent it from happening again I pushed the two wires away from the drain tube.

Thanks so much! The storm last week confirmed that was the culprit.

Word of caution: the two screws holding the handle above the shoulders were really hard to remove. I ended up stripping them.

Good luck!

20181124_142550.jpg

20181124_143339.jpg

Have any of you guys had issues with leaks, but no water or wetness inside the cabs? I've only experienced a wet ps floorboard one time, which led me to believe I was having sunroof drain issues, but I am not totally sure. My problem is after everytime we have a good rain and my truck is outside, I hear what sounds like water sloshing around somewhere on my passenger side, and maybe the roof itself. By water sloshing, I equate the sound to if you had a big flat bucket of water with a bunch of rocks in it and would tilt it from side to side. Kind of like the sound those big rain stick things make when you flip them over... if that makes sense. This only happens on faster accelerations or when breaking. I've spent alot of time trying to listen exactly where, and asking passengers to do so as well, but can't nail down a location. I thought it was coming from the front ps door, but after taking off its paneling and investigating nothing. Same with all 4 doors.

So now I'm thinking maybe my rear drains are the issues? Thus far I've not been able to find any standing water in the truck when I can hear the water sloshing. Though I'm in Texas, so it doesn't rain alot, and I typically keep my truck in the garage. Any one have any ideas I should look at for the source of my water problem? It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so I may leave her out for a good wash, and then to tear into her Wednesday to find this leak. The water scares me... who knows how long its been there and unaddressed by a PO, and the potential rust nightmare gives me the creeps.

Thanks guys!

Have this exact thing going on right now on the passenger side.....what did you end up doing to fix/resolve??

Did you try the drains in the pinch weld shown in post 12 of this thread? That’s an area that could hold water without getting the floor wet.

Have this exact thing going on right now on the passenger side.....what did you end up doing to fix/resolve??

I've noticed a lot of threads recently about finding water on the passenger's side floorboards, and it is usually caused by your sunroof drains being blocked. I'm not sure how it ends up on your floorboards, but in most cases, cleaning these drains will help get rid of your problem. Not only will you have to tear up your carpet to get it cleaned and dried, you will have a hell of a time trying to defrost in the winter when you have a very large amount of moisture in the air because of the nice, warm water inside the cab.

Here are some signs your drains aren't doing their job, below the pictures are links leading to the full sized ones for details.

You may notice discoloration on your fabric, this is a good way to tell if you don't have people sitting in the passenger's seat or don't check to see if the floors wet. It will also feel like you have your own Hawaiian island inside your truck because of the large amount of humidity.

Photo0530a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/andrewdw/sunroof/Photo0530.jpg

Photo0538a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/andrewdw/sunroof/Photo0538.jpg

This area is usually where you feel the water's highest point, and underneath the floor mats will be nice and warm and soggy. And eventually will start to smell if left unattended. Did I also mention this will make your defrosters useless? Of course I did.

Photo0539a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/andrewdw/sunroof/Photo0539.jpg

Here is one way to clean the drainage system:

When water gets through the sunroof's weather stripping, it goes down into these drains, you have one on the front left, and one on the front right. To make sure they are clean of all debris, take a semi-thick gauged, strong, flexible wire, and run it into the drains as far as you can get them. Use something like lead solder or a similar size wire. It needs to be strong enough to push out gunk without crumpling up inside the drains.

Here's a picture of the passenger side drain:

Photo0531a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/andrewdw/sunroof/Photo0531.jpg

You're going to want to have a wire long enough to reach as far down as it wants to travel, it's about the distance from the roof to the floorboards, about 6 feet should do fine.

Once you're done with that, you should find the drain plugs that are underneath the rocker panels below the front doors. They're round and black and about an inch across. They'll look like this:

Photo0532a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/andrewdw/sunroof/Photo0532.jpg

Here's where they are located:

Photo0537a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/andrewdw/sunroof/Photo0537.jpg

And here's the view from underneath:

Photo0535a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/andrewdw/sunroof/Photo0535.jpg

Stick your pinky or any other finger that's small enough into the hole and see if you can feel any sort of gunk. With the drain plugs out, take some water in a bottle, cup, etc, and pour it slowly into the sunroof drain. With the drain plugs out, water should flow freely out the newly opened hole. Whatever gunk or grime had been accumulating up there should empty out with the water, leaving your drains clean. There are also drainage slits along the rocker panels which should be cleaned, because you have to put the drain plugs back on, and water has to get out somehow. I wasn't in the mood to crawl under the truck and see where they are located, so if anyone wants to contribute, feel free.

To double check that everything is clean, put your finger back in the hole and feel around for mud or any sort of junk that the water didn't flush out. Replace the drain plug so no debris can go into the hole. Pour some more water into the drains and look underneath the truck, and if you're clean enough, the water should be draining fine. If you don't have puddles underneath your truck, your drains are still clogged. You can try to remedy that by removing the drain plug once again, using an air compressor on the drain and trying to force whatever's clogged out. Pour water back into the drains to see if you've cleared it.

Remember that mud turns into dirt, which when hard can take a lot of time to make it liquidy enough for it to drain.

Also, if your sunroof's weatherstripping/seal is old, dry, or cracked, it may be letting in too much water to handle causing it to not drain fast enough. Replace it or use moisturizers on it.

If anyone would like to add/change anything, let me know so I can fix it. If anyone has any other methods that they'd like to write about, feel free.

I see this was posted 13 years ago. Photos are no longer available. Anybody have. This was a very helpful write-up. The photos would crucially help me out.

I'd like to see the original pictures as well, if available. Very helpful thread and website, ih8mud :)
For what it's worth, you should try to clear the drains anyway. Once you open the sunroof, there will be a hole on each side (pass side and drive side). Use a trimmer wire, which didn't work for me, or a stiffer electrical wire and that should do the trick.

From my own research, if this doesn't work then it is most likely a windshield problem or the ac condenser box problem in passenger side only. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom