Cleaning your sunroof drains FAQ (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't post a lot, but when I do...I try to add some value to threads, even if they are a bit old, and lack original pictures...

But to add some key words to the search engine here -- wet seatbelt, 2nd row, C pillar, c-pillar, sunroof tube disconnected.

I have been chasing several leaks down over the last few weeks, and thought I had them all handled (rear quarter trim on sliding windows, and the d-pillar vents, all sealed up with some black urethane, and a couple new parts....

But I found the dreaded damp seat belt today in the 2nd row, and started tracing it up the pillar. Finally got up the nerve to pull at the headliner, and pulled the oh s*** handle off, and the trim around the headliner edge on the door. From there, I only had to pull about 6" of headliner glue back, and then I could get in there. Yep, sunroof drain fell off the rear of the sunroof. In fact it was MIA, and I had to fish it all they way back up the c-pillar from the rear hatch area, it had fallen down a good 8-10". Now it is reconnected and I am letting things dry out a bit, and will glue the headliner section back the body edge tomorrow night when dry.

I love MUD. I do more lurkling, searching, and reading than actual posting, but I have not found anything yet I cannot fix on the two trucks I have had, and thanks to all of you. Stupid leaks. Hopefully done now. I know, I just jinxed it.

oh yeah, and the weed eater line has been my trick as well for when it comes time to just clean them out, as opposed to reattaching them....

Love the MUD site!
My '95 80 just showed me this morning how much it liked sucking rain into the DS floorboard. I was totally freaked until I read this thread!
Project for another day, but looking forward to fixing this one!
THANKS!

Just adding to this but you should not use compressed air to blow through the tubes. It can cause the tubes to come off of the sunroof frame and then you have to take everything apart to get them reconnected. Learned that one the hard way...

OK, I need to put this on my "TO DO" list while I have it in the garage doing the myriad of other things...

Ditto Sam on compressed air. My friend a 45 year autobdy expert gave me the same warning about compressed air. Dont use compressed air. In the worst case he said guys blow out the drain tube in places you cant get to without tearing into sheet metal.

Have any of you guys had issues with leaks, but no water or wetness inside the cabs? I've only experienced a wet ps floorboard one time, which led me to believe I was having sunroof drain issues, but I am not totally sure. My problem is after everytime we have a good rain and my truck is outside, I hear what sounds like water sloshing around somewhere on my passenger side, and maybe the roof itself. By water sloshing, I equate the sound to if you had a big flat bucket of water with a bunch of rocks in it and would tilt it from side to side. Kind of like the sound those big rain stick things make when you flip them over... if that makes sense. This only happens on faster accelerations or when breaking. I've spent alot of time trying to listen exactly where, and asking passengers to do so as well, but can't nail down a location. I thought it was coming from the front ps door, but after taking off its paneling and investigating nothing. Same with all 4 doors.

So now I'm thinking maybe my rear drains are the issues? Thus far I've not been able to find any standing water in the truck when I can hear the water sloshing. Though I'm in Texas, so it doesn't rain alot, and I typically keep my truck in the garage. Any one have any ideas I should look at for the source of my water problem? It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so I may leave her out for a good wash, and then to tear into her Wednesday to find this leak. The water scares me... who knows how long its been there and unaddressed by a PO, and the potential rust nightmare gives me the creeps.

Thanks guys!

Sounds like the little hard to find slits in your rocker panels are clogged. There are some black plugs underneath the rocker panels. Pull those out and let things drain and dry out.

Hate to bump an old thread, but any chance of original pics being re-upped?

How do you clear the drains if the sunroof doesn't open:bang:

Also, if I have to replace the sunroof assembly and wreck the headliner, can I put a later headliner in?

Remove the map light housing and underneath it you should have access to the motor assembly. As I recall you can use a screw driver to manually turn the motor shaft and open and close the moon roof.

Remove the map light housing and underneath it you should have access to the motor assembly. As I recall you can use a screw driver to manually turn the motor shaft and open and close the moon roof.

Thanks!

DSC08416.JPG
Here's a photo showing a front sunroof drain hole, there is one located at each front corner of the drain pan. The rear two drain holes are not visible. I've found in order to get soap and water to flow out the rear drain holes the nose of the truck must be pointed slightly uphill. The photo also shows a fix using 3M strip caulk to build up a wall/seal underneath the cable cover (not shown). Idea is to prevent water from spilling over a (too low) ledge then seeping underneath the cable cover which then can trickle down the hole where the cable is located.

Last edited:
is there any way we could get the photo links working again in this thread?

I'm working on this drain thing too, I purchased my Land Cruiser about 4 months ago and after trouble shooting its definetly my sun roof. I'll try and post pics when I get it all solved

I had leak problems on my 1991 HDJ81. I have cleaned drain hole and nearbies and problem solved. But i can not move the sunroof up and down. How can I fix that? FYI didnt use sunroof about 2 years. I opened the button,actually there was not any problem except a little dust. can you tell me if I should check anything on rails or vicaversa of sunroof? thx in advance.

Once again, any way to get new pics of the drain plug location under the rocker panel?

I've done extensive research on fixing a leaking sunroof. I've watched videos, looked at photos, and read many threads but I still need some help.

I'm not having the usual problem if wet floor boards so much as it runs out the rear driver side and passenger side of the sunroof area. I have had some wet floor boards, but not as much as it just pouring out onto us while driving away after a bad rain storm.

I've run 12 gauge wire through the front drain lines and have made it to what I assume is the end of the line, because I simply cannot push the wire any further. I've tried to find the plugs underneath my vehicle that I'm supposed to open up to help water drain through but I'm not sure if they are the correct plugs.

I've taken some photos of a few different plugs underneath the vehicle and need your input as to which plug does what. Also, the roof rack is gone from the vehicle and some of the roof rack screw holes are without screws, leaving them open. I'm wondering if this, rather than a clogged drain line, is what's causing my leaking sunroof.

I've attached photos of everything and would appreciate any feedback.

Below is a series of photos, each with a specific question.

1. As you can see, screws are missing from where the roof rack was removed by the previous owner. Could these holes result in my sunroof area, or any area, leaking after a hard rain? Side note: I caused a lot of sunroof leaking when I performed a test of running water into the sunroof drain reservoir area which means the sunroof area is definitely leaking, but I'm not sure if the tiny screw holes are a problem.
IMG_1004.jpg

2. This is what my leaky sunroof looks likes
IMG_1001.jpg

3. In the center left portion of this photo you can see a hole where I removed a rubber plug. When the plug was removed, I saw what looked to be the shrink wrap that binds a wire harness. Is this the plug that's supposed to be removed to help drain out the sunroof drains?
IMG_0992.jpg

4. A few inches up from the center of the photo shows another drain plug found towards the rear of my vehicle. Is this the rear sunroof drain plug? (I have a 1996 LX450 which I believe I have seen others say has front and rear sunroof drain lines)
IMG_0993.jpg

5. This last photo is supposed to show the underneath of my rocker panel and step-up thing. As you can see, all the water seems to be flowing out of this, and not from the hole where I removed the rubber plug. When I flood the sunroof drain area, the water on the passenger side slowly drips out from the underside of the step-up thing. It drips from about four different locations from the underside of the step-up. No water came out from where I removed the black rubber plug. I think I saw another small plug located between the step-up and the rocker panel. Is that the actual plug I'm supposed to remove?
IMG_0997.jpg

I just purchased my LX450 and I'm starting to slowly do some fixes, starting with this sunroof leaking problem. Even after extensive research, I get under my truck and can't seem to figure out which hold / plug is what.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom