Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Out of curiosity is it possible that the hose that comes off the bottom (to take in fresh air) is clogged?

Anything is possible, but to my knowledge that hose has not been clogged or been the issue for us. The issue is a clogged canister due to internal check valves or build up.

8K miles later, this pos plastic part is doing its job. Still no psssst sound when fueling up as before. Kept the stock steel canister since NLA. I should replace the hoses, though, as they're tired.

Finally decided to give this a try after years of hearing the hissing noise from the gas tank.

Just ordered
$43.96 with the ALLSTATE code
Free delivery to The house.

Just an update from a few years ago, and many pages ago, I still have no hissing/pressure after changing mine out with a Autozone unit. This fix works.

I replaced mine at razorback Ramble I think. No hiss when opening tank for fuel still. No hi altitude yet driving yet. Will let everyone know when I do go west.

Does anyone know if this will work on a 91? The canister is in a different place, it’s sits in a sort of U shaped frame on the passenger side lower in the engine compartment.

Like all of you guys I’m getting the hiss when I open the gas cap. It’s not as severe as some of you are reporting. I’m also getting a fuel vapor odor particularly after driving. No fuel odor or wetness after it’s been parked a while. I checked the line from the canister to the tank and it sounds clear when blowing air through it. Also, not much or any air flowing through canister when I checked it (if I did it correctly).

Side note: I can’t thank you guys on this forum enough. I’m a new guy to the LC world and this place has been an awesome source of information.

Does anyone know if this will work on a 91? The canister is in a different place, it’s sits in a sort of U shaped frame on the passenger side lower in the engine compartment.

Like all of you guys I’m getting the hiss when I open the gas cap. It’s not as severe as some of you are reporting. I’m also getting a fuel vapor odor particularly after driving. No fuel odor or wetness after it’s been parked a while. I checked the line from the canister to the tank and it sounds clear when blowing air through it. Also, not much or any air flowing through canister when I checked it (if I did it correctly).

Side note: I can’t thank you guys on this forum enough. I’m a new guy to the LC world and this place has been an awesome source of information.

I was able to use it on my 91. Took a little work but I got it in there. Just had to use longer bolts and get creative. Works great.

Awesome, thank you. I already ordered the part from Auto Zone.
I was able to use it on my 91. Took a little work but I got it in there. Just had to use longer bolts and get creative. Works great.

Last edited:
I switched back to one of these after refurbing my old OEM canister. The valves just don't stay unstuck no matter how much you clean them. Hopefully the VC120 lasts longer.

I JB welded the bottom of mine shut and put the hose from the original canister on it. Hopefully this keeps me whoosh free for a long time.

Step by step and serviceable

I was having the same problems so I just did the bypass, which I had to do on my 60 also,and used the canister bracket( with a little modification to it) and made a nice mounting place for my Arb compressor that Had sitting in the garage for a few months cause I didn’t want to buy the Slee bracket. 2 birds with one stone😀 See pic.
078A9C41-0A17-4460-97C1-555DCEBB8F0F.jpeg

Hey guys. I changed my 1997 canister w the autozone one recommended here. I still have excessive pressure blowing out behind my cap and random fuel smell under the hood. I bought a new gas cap today and so far so good. Could the dang gas cap be an issue here? I’ve only driven it 20 miles, but no pressure when I got home and unscrewed the gas cap. Prolly wishful thinking I’m sure.

What elevation are you at, what grade of fuel do you use and once getting the cap how full was the tank starting off and when you tested for pressure?

Solved my tank pressure as well after trying the OEM canister charcoal replacement mod with no change. Mileage seems up as well. Went wheeling at the ATR at Windr
FB_IMG_1568138773643.jpg
ock over Labor Day and not one issue when that's when I used to have the most pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom