Center Differential Lock Button Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to swap the push-button out for a rotary knob of some sort? Strange question perhaps, but there is a valid reason.

This morning the wife managed to hit the button and called me a couple miles from the house saying the tires were squealing when she went around corners and turned in parking lots. After some questioning she tells me she hit that button and the lights on the dash came on, so I try explaining how to disengage the diff lock to no avail and had to drive down to take care of it.

This led me to wondering if I could just swap it out with a rotary knob, if I am remembering correctly the 4Runner had a knob at one point. Then there is no stinking way she could accidentally hit the button.

Is it possible to swap the push-button out for a rotary knob of some sort? Strange question perhaps, but there is a valid reason.

This morning the wife managed to hit the button and called me a couple miles from the house saying the tires were squealing when she went around corners and turned in parking lots. After some questioning she tells me she hit that button and the lights on the dash came on, so I try explaining how to disengage the diff lock to no avail and had to drive down to take care of it.

This led me to wondering if I could just swap it out with a rotary knob, if I am remembering correctly the 4Runner had a knob at one point. Then there is no stinking way she could accidentally hit the button.

From Dan over at GXOR:
Spent a few days reworking all my interior wiring and building/installing my waterproof relay harness for current and future electrical goodies. I learned some things that other may find helpful on their rigs. Warning im ocd about my wiring.
1f609.png
;)

1) the DAC button latches in the on position and is a simple switch which shows 12v to the car to engage DAC. It is easily replaced by a switch pod with a 12v output (which prewired but need 2nd switch pod next week)

2) the center diff lock switch is a momentary 12v positive again easily replaced by a switch pod with a 12v output. This switch is also easy to relocate to the left side of the dash to replace the 115v inverter switch by cutting the 4 wires and extending (which I did since I wanted to use that factory relay for other things and have a 2000watt inverter already).

3) the 115v inverter uses a factory fused 15amp relay that's hooked to always on battery positive under the hood and is triggered by a simple 12v positive trigger input (usually ignition dependent, but easy to modify, as I hooked this wire up to my switch pod when I deleted the inverter switch, note, switch for sale). I'm now using the inverter wiring in the rear to power my internally mounted left and right led flood lights.

4) Deutsch connectors are awesome for under hood wiring and easy to make yourself. Molex connection inside the cab makes for easy swaps, troubleshooting.

5) the McGard Jeep door safety locks work awesome on ditch lights and clear the fender with a little finesse.

6) if anyone else uses a feniex switch pod, using tiny pieces of tint inside dims the very bright LEDs perfectly for day and night use.

There are dual seat heater switches that fit one switch blank and can replace both Toyota switches and when it arrives shall replace my DACbutton on the console.

Cheers.

Thanks! Got busy in the afternoon and wasnt able to check back sooner. Since its just four wires I guess I will just move it somewhere else. She said she was trying to turn on the seat heater when she locked the diff. Interesting to see there is an option to put both seat heaters on a single switch.

The locations of both the CDL and DAC are in horrible places. Those should be in locations where only the driver could access.
My truck had a service report from Lexus where the previous owner had to bring it in for the CDL being locked. It's just too easy on that flat surface to put a bag or phone down and activate it.

My wife (luckily) only locked my rear ARB with her purse and drove it around all day. Thank goodness the front didn't go on.

My solution is to never let anyone else drive my GX :p

Not entirely related, but your wife driving with the rear locked reminded me of a snow storm several years ago. I was driving home from work and I spot a Quigley Econoline sitting in the median. There was no one else around so I decided to stop and see if they needed help. It was a woman and her mom driving the husband's van. They explained that they were stuck and were waiting on a tow. There was no evidence of them trying to get out of the median except around the back tires. I asked if the 4-wheel drive was broken. They gave me a blank stare and I pointed to the selector. She drove out after locking it in and never even bothered to slow down, wave, or anything. Guess they were embarrassed that the solution was right there all along. My Motorola brick phone at the time lacked a camera otherwise I would definitely had some photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom