This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys! I know there are other post on this topic, however I feel like my situation is a little more specific.

I have a '96 FZJ80 with lockers. I have the 2.5" old man emu lift and BF Goodrich AT K02's.

When I bought the vehicle the ABS light was on and has always been on. The CDL indicator bulb has never come on even when I switch the transfer case to L, but the center diff. would lock/unlock when switching from L to H. So I assume the CDL indicator bulb is burnt out.

About a week ago when I turned into a parking spot it felt like the center diff. was locked (felt like someone put the brakes on / you could hear the tires gripping / chirping the pavement).
It had never done this before and it appears that the center diff is stuck in the locked position.

I've checked the 30a DIFF fuse in the fuse box and it is good.

I'm crossing my fingers it isn't the VC! Any other ideas?

Did the SWITCH fail and stay connected when it SHOULDN'T be?

I would pull the switch and either try a known one or modify and swap in my hazard switch for a test.

Need to definitely check your CDL bulb though.

Are you sure your front or rear DIFF LOCK isn't still engaged? You didn't state if they are FACTORY or AFTERMARKET. Makes a difference how they are wired.

Did the SWITCH fail and stay connected when it SHOULDN'T be?

I would pull the switch and either try a known one or modify and swap in my hazard switch for a test.

Need to definitely check your CDL bulb though.

Are you sure your front or rear DIFF LOCK isn't still engaged? You didn't state if they are FACTORY or AFTERMARKET. Makes a difference how they are wired.

I should have specified in my original post. I do not have the CDL switch or 7 pin MOD. Mine only should engage when I switch the transfer case to L. I have factory lockers. I have not been able to get the front or rear lockers to engage since I originally bought the cruiser.

Your CDL sensor is probably not working, which is why the dash light isn't coming in. Search for CDL sensor cleaning threads.

When troubleshooting mine, I had a hard time determining if the CDL was locked, since my Birfields are in poor condition and seem to bind a bit when turning sharply. So even with the CDL unlocked, I get some jumpiness.

Last edited:
Your CDL sensor is probably not working, which is why the dash light isn't coming in. Search for CDL sensor cleaning threads.

When troubleshooting mine, I had a hard time determining if the CDL was locked, since my Birfields are in poor condition and seem to bind a bit when turning sharply. So even with the CDL unlocked, I get some jumpiness.

I'll look into the CDL sensor.

I just did the whole front axle rebuild which needed to be done. I was hoping it would fix the issue but that's what has lead me here.

Hey guys! I know there are other post on this topic, however I feel like my situation is a little more specific.

I have a '96 FZJ80 with lockers. I have the 2.5" old man emu lift and BF Goodrich AT K02's.

When I bought the vehicle the ABS light was on and has always been on. The CDL indicator bulb has never come on even when I switch the transfer case to L, but the center diff. would lock/unlock when switching from L to H. So I assume the CDL indicator bulb is burnt out.

About a week ago when I turned into a parking spot it felt like the center diff. was locked (felt like someone put the brakes on / you could hear the tires gripping / chirping the pavement).
It had never done this before and it appears that the center diff is stuck in the locked position.

I've checked the 30a DIFF fuse in the fuse box and it is good.

I'm crossing my fingers it isn't the VC! Any other ideas?

@Zac Brooks Did you ever get this issue resolved? I just ran into an issue very similar...

@Zac Brooks Did you ever get this issue resolved? I just ran into an issue very similar...

Here's my update:

I checked a few things:

-CDL Indicator switch (it is either dirty or non operable) bridged the switch and the CDL light came on
-listened for the actuator motor (could not hear the actuator motor working)
listened on my buddies cruiser and you can hear his plain as day

So the only thing I know for sure is the actuator motor is not working still not sure if the VC is seized.

I'm currently getting my motor swapped from my parts cruiser and I'm having them switch the T case as well to fix the issue.

Here's my update:

I checked a few things:

-CDL Indicator switch (it is either dirty or non operable) bridged the switch and the CDL light came on
-listened for the actuator motor (could not hear the actuator motor working)
listened on my buddies cruiser and you can hear his plain as day

So the only thing I know for sure is the actuator motor is not working still not sure if the VC is seized.

I'm currently getting my motor swapped from my parts cruiser and I'm having them switch the T case as well to fix the issue.
Right on! Thanks for the details.. and the write up!

Kinda doubt that the CDL just randomly engaged if you were not trying to activate it. We have seen several VCs freeze up for no particular reason. We just pull them out and toss them in the scrap heap. They are pretty much useless: not one of Toyotas better ideas. I would trade my VC for a manual CDL button any day!! Oh, wait a minute, I already have one of those. :clap:

Check the CDL switch on the transfer case. You can check and see if your CDL dash light works by connecting the two wires that go to the CDL switch together when you have it removed (it will light up).

My guess is that your switch is bad (the one on the T case, not the dash).

Check the CDL switch on the transfer case. You can check and see if your CDL dash light works by connecting the two wires that go to the CDL switch together when you have it removed (it will light up).

My guess is that your switch is bad (the one on the T case, not the dash).
Thanks Zack... I'll do that this week.. process of elimination.. start with the easy stuffs!

UPDATE:

I got my cruiser back yesterday after having the motor and transfer case swapped.
When I went for a test drive I switched the transfer case into 4 lo and the dash CDL indicator came on. Yay!
Bad news, when I switched backed to 4 hi the CDL did not disengage.
I tried driving for a while, and also hit some sharp turns in gravel and it still would not disengage.

I'm going to try replacing all of the sending units on the transfer case to see if that might be a cause.
However, I have a hunch that at this point there's a chance it's something electrical maybe to do with the relay, due to the fact this is a completely separate transfer case and the exact same thing is happening (other than the dash indicator is working).

I'll keep you guys updated. Hopefully putting the new sending units on tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom