Builds CA18Sean's HJ75 Troopy - Build & Restore Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The shop is actually going to use my rear tire support to fabricate a template to mount larger tires that doesn't require flipping or elongated studs. A "simpler" solution so to speak.

Had to "trim and flatten" one corner to clear the wiper.

jI7SGFS3iq8n8j73Mj0ipifxra42SdJ_OUPam4v7k_EZPOC1xdEhlFb_ZXNIBJtGonuSII6No68e3IP74VeTJhsl8S7QdI8ioZVzYFbJN8sEkv_5JpMiMBGLcSx6BG0SO2GWX417-OtAKqNodU7EGVI4eC1dJx06f8QovIL6QEUtzDKSWE3tO3gkhHjwDeE4U_yLcQ0yDNCNrZtQExtjzqqRGjzn4RxY5fPlKcGc9ZOCL_D_VWKyzW7R4WAhU6ixFIiP61jfEkTc1gUEduJAcgMyxb7Vn4xtA7ez14MFKac_HQOaMz1iZSZtDWLe-WCw2LBb9jdb-nm6J5sahYZirpuRo3BxHJ4usrCMAkxsIoDS9Nn6bcrUISbCo7vBiKu9pqRbg6eDvRBpbwRb7WJswCXLAzsq3miZLqgxf9gq_scAtkBV05xCJMPF4Nwg5BaEkLthVNBuklaJtaWM9Q-kW77JRTgZ8KFyFOLL7iQkE2o0MliDfowogtlzbe4eFRz24Vy02l6ztAsvzIOfHBngT2nSjqXJFJSXGFgdhkMOfxatfT1LiKvUUzVjBvdn_SX_E5o8=w965-h643-no

And to think, people say 70 series are "utilitarian" or "work horses". Rear wipers and headlight squirting do-dads... We might as well be driving Mercedes!
I didn't even mention the bouncy seats. :)
The Naugahyde seats in my HJ75 even have automatic environmental controls .... They automatically get hot in the Summer and cold in the Winter.

Last edited:
I didn't even mention the bouncy seats. :)
The Naugahyde seats in my HJ75 even have automatic environmental controls .... They get hot in the Summer and cold in the Winter.

The jealousy I'm experiencing right now can hardly be contained! How do Australians get through the day with cruisers with cloth seats and zero creature comforts or do-dads knowing that the Japanese cruisers come so fully equipped??? Lol. I do wish I had bouncy seats though to be honest. I had a set in my Montero and they were awesome.

I do wish I had bouncy seats though to be honest. I had a set in my Montero and they were awesome.
ca18sean, A moment agoReport
#129Like+ QuoteReply
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do like the fact that you can eat a whole bag of donuts and the little pistons (tech content) self adjust. A similar concept to having an elastic waistband.

Front bumper, rear bumper, side steps, and roof rack will all be tentatively done in matching black bedliner. I'm on the fence about possibly doing everything in a dark gray bedliner that matches my wheels. Black is definitely a more "classic" look I think. Gray could end up looking really cool or it could end up looking too "matchey" for my taste... for lack of a better word.

@61Mk+ did a nice job of color matching all his bumpers and wheels and sliders. I really like the way his truck turned out, but I'm still on the fence about it. I need to finish some things on my roof rack still, so I have some time to decide.

My front and rear bumpers are black as well as the side steps, rear ladder and roof rack. In my opinion, it's hard to beat black.

Front bumper, rear bumper, side steps, and roof rack will all be tentatively done in matching black bedliner. I'm on the fence about possibly doing everything in a dark gray bedliner that matches my wheels. Black is definitely a more "classic" look I think. Gray could end up looking really cool or it could end up looking too "matchey" for my taste... for lack of a better word.

@61Mk+ did a nice job of color matching all his bumpers and wheels and sliders. I really like the way his truck turned out, but I'm still on the fence about it. I need to finish some things on my roof rack still, so I have some time to decide.
I have all black, its a safe and easy option, but when i paint mine dark brown, I'm thinking of doing all barwork the same colour. I have seen white troopies with white barwork/wheels and it looks smart. If i don't paint it brown i will be going all white. In Australia there seems to be a trend of matching barwork to body colour as well, for example i think ARB has off the shelf colour options on barwork to match common modern vehicle colours. Food for thought.

I am in the process of making this decision too. My car will be white.
I am thinking either graphite p2 (sorta metalic gun metal grey) or black for the front bar, back bar, sliders, rollbar.
As Damien said black is a safe easy option that is tried and tested, but I wonder if I'm just being lazy and taking the easy option?

No real updates. I have all the side windows pulled, doing rust repair. Had a bunch of pinhole sized rust holes. Still need to pull the windscreen, but I know there's rust under there, I can see rust stains leaking down the firewall.

I bought an old E21 BMW 320i about a month ago to drive around on the weekends since the troopy will be down for awhile still... just did suspension, wheels, tires, tons of bushings and a handful of other little things, but it's a blast :) got it for a steal, the guy poured a ton of money into paint and engine work then just got tired of it.

3d146b40f8907cafaa65761a3f864e26.jpg

As far as colors go I'm leaning towards a dark graphite gray for the bumpers and rack to match my wheels... black is cool and I may default back to black, but I'm gonna play around with gray and see how it looks!

Oh, I forgot! I did add a winch tray to my TJM bumper. It's just 7 inch C-channel welded between the steel bumper mounts. The bumper itself is aluminum but the mounts are still steel. I test fit a Warn VR10000 I had at work, but I will be running an M8000. The VR's work well on our F550 drill rigs at work, but they're not doing extended pulls. Typically just a couple feet out of a mudhole. They get hot quick, but they've been a great budget winch for infrequent use applications.

IMG_0109 by CA18 Sean, on Flickr

IMG_0113 by CA18 Sean, on Flickr

IMG_0112 by CA18 Sean, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom