Builds CA18Sean's HJ75 Troopy - Build & Restore Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally some updates. Been slacking at posting pics. Not having a mobile app makes it harder to update threads. Oh well, mud is still the best 70 series forum around :)

Pre paint pic. Lots of rust cut out and patches welded in. This thing is a rusty beast, nothing short of sand blasting the entire truck will ever have it rust/bondo free. So I decided to just make it as solid as I could and get back to enjoying it. No show truck here :beer:

Untitled by CA18 Sean, on Flickr

Post paint!

Next moved on to the interior. Painted the floor with monstaliner gray.

Had to make all my interior panels in the rear from scratch, I'm happy how they turned out.

Painted them with a dark brown, almost black stain. Also cut a universal BedRug to fit the back section.

Had to order a new windshield, mine got broken removing it to paint. It was already cracked and the crack spread as I removed it. Ended up getting one from my local Toyota dealer for pretty cheap. Our company buys a lot of Tacoma work trucks so they hooked me up on the price a little :)

Also got new larger mirrors and rear Toyota 4WD license plate cover.

All new door and window seals too.

How she currently sits.

Going to drive it up to my shop this weekend and work on the dual battery tray and finishing wiring. Still need to install a few little parts and modify my stock airbox to connect to the snorkel. I'm also gonna spray the wheel wells black. I'm just glad to be driving it!

this is so fancy pants.... moab 2018? be there....

Dates and details?

Another thing, does anyone have a 70 series RH front door for sale? Any ideas where I would go about acquiring one? Lol. I repaired mine halfway decent, but it's still kind of bent. The door catch broke on it and the door folded forward around the fender at some point in the past. It's not terrible, but it's on my list of things to do.

Are newer 70 series front doors interchangeable? Cruiser parts has new take offs (I assume from Canadian mine trucks) for $800. Or used ones for $600. But based on the emblems on the doors it looks like they're newer doors.

I remember there being an issue with getting the right door for troopys. Something about making sure the upper curves match and are different than the 77 and soft top...

Yeah, I had a problem when ordering a replacement door window. There is a hard corner or a curved corner (troopy is curved). I just didn't know if anything else changed with the newer models. You'd think they would have added more structure over the years to meet crash test standards, the ones in my truck are super thin and light.

Do other 70s series front doors fit the FJ73

Last edited:
This weekend I built a dual battery tray. Used a Ruff Stuff universal tray designed for dual optimas. I am running dual Napa DP's but could switch over to optimas in the future. They are actually slightly smaller than the Napa batteries, so it would be no problem to run them as well. Happy with how it turned out.

Forgot to take a pic of the painted finished product. Added some bracing that went down to the lower fender as well.

Only running a single battery right now, still need to wire up my Blue Sea battery isolator. One battery will be a start battery, one will be the house battery.

Added some shocks to my rear doors yesterday. They actually fixed the gap problems I was having with the right side door sagging. I am still building a rear tire swingout for my back bumper, but it's cool that these helped! I like that they limit travel and that the doors self open and hold themselves open now! Saw this on the Troopcarriers of Australia facebook page, so I can't take credit for the design. But it works well. The smaller door could probably use a softer shock, it's kinda hard to push shut but it's not bad. They're 20" gas shocks with 100 lbs of force.

fantastic work.

what material did you use for the rear panels?

Thank you! All my rear panels are thin hardwood plywood I got from Lowes, I wanna say it was birch but I could be wrong. There's a pic of it before I stained it afew pages ago. Coated in minwax polyshades espresso. I put enough coats on that it basically looks black, but it was a dark brown stain.

Also, if anyone is interested, the Troopcarriers of Australia facebook page has a .dxf CAD file for all the rear panels so anyone can cut them with access to a CNC machine. I didn't use it, but it's cool to know it exists!
..... if i had only known..... @fireball

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom