Bumbles Bounce Don'tcha know.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Out killing dinosaurs today.

0906191353.jpg

He'll cruise at 70 all day, well as long as I keep the tank full

I bet that ford Dana 60 you have stashed is looking really good right now.

BC1939C8-F6F1-4D78-BF1E-6D74CFA10CA2.jpeg

I bet that ford Dana 60 you have stashed is looking really good right now.

View attachment 2077622

That is exactly why I have that 60 stashed.

As long as the 50 holds I'll let'er eat, first sign of trouble, (or when I get it rebuilt and squirrel away all the necessary bits) the 60 will be rehomed under the Bumble.

Last edited:
Don’t blame you. Hopefully I won’t have touch this one again for another 25 years.

Don’t blame you. Hopefully I won’t have touch this one again for another 25 years.

Just general service or something giving you troubles?

Figured it was time to do the pivot bushings and go over everything else. Glad I did, the bracket that hold the driver side I beam had 2i of the 4 mount bolts broken. Probably been like that since the P.O. wrecked it in 2010.

B5BE486F-6ED3-4509-B28B-FF8CB9D2A613.jpeg

Holy crap! Well, going all the way thru it, you shouldnt have to get back into it for another 25 at least.

Last edited:
Break time. This is the only way I could get other people to come over and drink while I tinker.

image.jpg

@htburnett is your truck and auto or manual?

If its an autobox check your column shifter connection bolts up under the dash. I was talking to a fleet manager I know who is abig ford guy and mentioned to him id been having trouble with the column shift and he says "real sloppy" I said yeah, he said "pretty soon you wont be able to get it into park, tighten up them brass bolts"

So they arent brass, but they are zinc plated so they have a brassy color to them. So I get under the dash today and find one backed way out and the other loose. I tighten them both up and shifter is crisp and tight. And as a super added bonus it fixed my ignition issue. Turns out the problem wasn't in the ignition, it was that because the shifter was so loose, it wasnt hitting the park indicator, so the ignition didnt know the truck was in park, so it wouldnt start. Fixing the shfter has also solved my ignition problem. Fires right up now. Probably has been the issue all along. Leasson learned.

Getting the front fuel pump replaced on Thursday and they are also gonna check out the AC situation. Once I get that sorted, I'm gonna start working on tidying up the interior and probably kill a few more dinosaurs.

@htburnett is your truck and auto or manual?

If its an autobox check your column shifter connection bolts up under the dash. I was talking to a fleet manager I know who is abig ford guy and mentioned to him id been having trouble with the column shift and he says "real sloppy" I said yeah, he said "pretty soon you wont be able to get it into park, tighten up them brass bolts"

So they arent brass, but they are zinc plated so they have a brassy color to them. So I get under the dash today and find one backed way out and the other loose. I tighten them both up and shifter is crisp and tight. And as a super added bonus it fixed my ignition issue. Turns out the problem wasn't in the ignition, it was that because the shifter was so loose, it wasnt hitting the park indicator, so the ignition didnt know the truck was in park, so it wouldnt start. Fixing the shfter has also solved my ignition problem. Fires right up now. Probably has been the issue all along. Leasson learned.

Getting the front fuel pump replaced on Thursday and they are also gonna check out the AC situation. Once I get that sorted, I'm gonna start working on tidying up the interior and probably kill a few more dinosaurs.
Are you going to tow something to Crawl this year?

Are you going to tow something to Crawl this year?

Not sure he's ready for a 6 hour loaded run, gotta work up to that. Maybe next year.

you just need two things.... a large gas tank and a nice big thick radiator....you're golden after that. :)

A/C is a bonus

you just need two things.... a large gas tank and a nice big thick radiator....you're golden after that. :)

A/C is a bonus

Well, I don't have either of those currently, so I got some work to do. The 33 gallon bronco tank is on the "down the road" list. And I'll have to see what I can do on the radiator. Just has a stock replacement in it currently.

@jynx I'm sure you have already done this a few times but just in case. Hitch that trailer up and load it with the heaviest vehicle you have. Then haul it around locally to see how the truck is going to react. I believe you're not going to have any major issues with the truck, it's just that thought of "what if". Besides if it breaks down going to or coming from just add it to the "Oh well stuff happens" column. Cause even a brand new truck can break down and leave you on the side of the road.

@FJCRAWLER I agree. The 80 is probably the heaviest and i need to drag it around the block a few times. I did pull a 40 to north of Gallatin with him a few weeks back and he did fine. Cruised at 60-65 with no issues as far as I could tell. I am going to start working in hauls here and there to get him broke in.

And you are 100% right, $h!t happens and I gotta just get on the road and go otherwise we'll never get anywhere. Hey at least my battery is tied down and I do have anti-freeze in it, so I am ahead of a few folks ;)

@FJCRAWLER I agree. The 80 is probably the heaviest and i need to drag it around the block a few times. I did pull a 40 to north of Gallatin with him a few weeks back and he did fine. Cruised at 60-65 with no issues as far as I could tell. I am going to start working in hauls here and there to get him broke in.

And you are 100% right, $h!t happens and I gotta just get on the road and go otherwise we'll never get anywhere. Hey at least my battery is tied down and I do have anti-freeze in it, so I am ahead of a few folks ;)
@jynx I'm sure you have already done this a few times but just in case. Hitch that trailer up and load it with the heaviest vehicle you have. Then haul it around locally to see how the truck is going to react. I believe you're not going to have any major issues with the truck, it's just that thought of "what if". Besides if it breaks down going to or coming from just add it to the "Oh well stuff happens" column. Cause even a brand new truck can break down and leave you on the side of the road.

Thats what I did...I wanted to max my legal weight (in test mode)and I also wanted to get a feel on if I had the right tie-down locations and position of the truck on the trailer. And to try and get the electric brakes set where I wanted. Better to find gremlins around home rather than hours away. One thing I learned about my trailer is that the foot on the trailer will auto wind down by itself (from the wind) and so I've rigged up a simple little chain and snap hook to keep that from happening. I also like LED trailer lights and I like to have a marker light on each fender so I can clearly see the trailer position at night. I hit some aggressive hills too and want to see how it does ...going up and coming down. in summary you don't want to find out showstoppers on the day you really want to go somewhere. That happened to me one time and cured me, was with a u-haul trailer and no matter what I did I could not go faster than 55mph or I would get crazy vibration / sway, moved the 60 around on the trailer changed it here and there...no impact. Turned into a very long day departing and the same going home. I also belive in driving it like you are going somewhere and not baby it, because going to slow may not show problems, not that you want to speed, but be realistic. Also give you a chance to get a feel for the handling and how the truck stops and takes curves etc. I did this across one or two Saturdays...I also learned I wanted a new trailer harness (the main harness that plugs into the truck), so I fixed that too. I need to check out my stuff too, since I've been screwing around and not going anywhere for a while ...while I mastered the heater core job over a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom