Bumbles Bounce Don'tcha know.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I moved tool-boxes and other heavy-%#$@ stuff all weekend, I feel that someone has taken a baseball bat to my entire body....something like this...
fog.jpeg

Finally got correct o-rings for oil cooler but could not get OE Ford spring clamps so I picked up some new worm gear clamps. Crazy that Ford didn't have a 2" and a 1.5" clamp in their system that had superceeded the old clamp PN...

Also got oil, filters and coolant, so hopefully this is the weekend this finally goes down.

Well it's a'****IN'live!!

And i will say the :censor: :censor: oil cooler is a mother:censor:.

I like to have never got the hose to the water pump sorted.

First try for reference. Just a little reduction in flow area...
0616181328.jpg

I'm honestly still not happy with it, but I did get the kink out and I think it's as good as it can get for the time being. A remote mount and seperate oil cooler may be in the future if that SOB gives any troubles.

Short list is to drive it around and then change the oil and flush the coolant again before topping it off with all new green.

The header install will be the next major project to undertake. Other than that, I need to get a rack for the back to mount the RTT to. And then if all that goes, I am going to look at an auxiliary trans cooler and a temp gauge for it since towing will be the name of the game.

He gonna get a bath tomorrow and I may work on the window runs in the back so I can get the belt moldings on the back.

Still have a few things to tie up, but feels good to be this far.

@TeddyBoy I verbalized my "burn it down" threats to Erin this afternoon when I was fighting with the bleepin' oil cooler.

You might be able to get the right sized 90° on Amazon if you need one. I got a 90° and a 45° in 5/8th to get my heater hoses properly connected.

I can't tell from the pic if that would help at all.

Thanks Chris, yeah it is actually just slightly less than 90° and they are so close that the hose has to go on with them because you can't get it on after the fact. Annnddd, it is 2 different diameters from end to end. Here is a little better pic to give some idea of how cramped it is and kinda shows how close the two are.
0616181300b.jpg

I have been reading up on it and I am really thinking that I may just pull all that off and install an air-to-oil cooler and a remote filter mount. Long term that may be the best option.

I found a -12 oil filter relocation kit and a Mishimoto -10 oil cooler that I think would minimize pressure loss on the system. So I think I may piece together a setup replace the factory cooler with. Then I can put a different OE lower rad hose on that will just run from the rad to the pump.

If I had a good spot, I would do a trans/oil combo, mounted remotely with a stand alone fan, but not sure where you put something like that so that it would be protected yet out of the way.

He really does clean up good.

0617181649_HDR.jpg

Well I installed the new window runs in the back passenger door and installed the new belt molding too. Didnt have one at all before and I had been waiting to get the runs replaced before I installed them. Small victories I guess, but hot Damn I'm excited about it.

Before
0617181841.jpg

And after, plus the full window done
0617181852.jpg

0617181854_HDR.jpg

And after I wrapped up that I decided to install the headlight harness that I got from @radioridge

I have it zip-tied across the core support for now. There are a series of holes that I'm sure held aomething else previously, but they worked perfect for the harness routing.
0617181958.jpg

The only thing left to wrap it up is to mount the relays, the wire lenght kind of limits where they can go, but I think I can mount them to the fender right beside the battery and be good.

0617181940_HDR.jpg

I did hook them up and make sure it worked, and we have light. Didnt think to do a before, so I dont know how much brighter they are, but at least the switch circuit should be protected.

So now I have to sit down and figure out what the next project in line will be and start planning the oil cooler swap and the header install.

certain waterpumps have a short hose (bypass) that is a pain in the #&$^% to install and has it has to install with the water pump. I use to use some spray silicone on the metal parts where I could get the rubber hose positioned just right. You might try that with your hose above, before it goes through some heat cycles. Dont get it on the outside of the hose....just on the inside of the hose and the metal surfaces. I always install the hose all the way on one side and then using the "slippery stuff" then re-position the hose once the pump is tight to get the right angle and get it orientated right. Appears similar logic would work on the ford...

Realized I had never actually unboxed the headers and checked them out, so I did today.

Oooo Shiny!
0701182104.jpg

Not sure when this project will commence, but everybody likes pictures.

get a friend or two to help with the header install...or its going to be a very long painful process.

Started on the passenger side door today. Similar story to drivers side. Guessing the locks quit working so they disconnected the linkages so they couldn't be locked accidentally (again had no door key when I got it.) However this side is significantly worse. Someone had clearly tried replacing the window motor at some point based on the jacked up holes and wire nuts on the wiring.

0707181604.jpg

Going to pick up a body hammer set from Harbor Freight tomorrow and try to straighten some of this mess up.

This reinforcing panel is supposed to be riveted in, not jankiley bolted in...

0707181604_HDR.jpg

And the new and old motor.
0707181635.jpg

I did a test run to make sure the wiring to the door and switch was good. Motor spun, so she is going back together. Had to cut it off there to clean up cause Erin said we had somewhere else to be, so tomorrow gonna hammer some things straight and get everything moving again.

WOW! Looks like someone took a air chisel to it. Some people’s kids, whatcha going to do.

Yeah, there really was no reason for the mauling.

Anyway, we stopped by HF after church last week and I used my 20% off coupon to grab this box of goodies.

0715181732.jpg

I honestly had no idea what I was doing, but that didnt stop me from whaling away on the inner door skin.

As a reminder here is what I started with.
0708181515.jpg

And after a little primer.
0715181730a.jpg

I think it came out OK, definitely not ready for show and shine, but the holes are at least mostly back to shape and the sharp edges are gone. Also note the giant 1/4" rivets, compliments of another of my HF new adds.

0715181731.jpg

The regulator was in good shape and the switch wiring was still good, I threw the motor on the regulator, greased the tracks and worked everything back in. Then before I buttoned everything back up, I installed the new rear window felt and the belt molding.

And then I put the lever reinforcing panel back in properly with more big a$$ rivets.

0715181730b.jpg

And now all buttoned up I have 4 locking doors and 4 operable power windows, so we are in high cotton now.

Need to flush the cooling system, change the oil and try to get it thru emissions this week so I can get the tags updated so we can drive it around some. AC service is high on the list of to-dos for much extended summer driving.

Gotta get ready for those fall wheeling trips

Random yard picture this afternoon.

0729181734_HDR.jpg

Thanks Rocky. It sure cleans up good. Glad to have it back up and running.

Took 'im out today to get the emissions test, passed with no problems. Confused the girl doing test by having a 1997 still running OBDI, but after the override, it passed the snooper at under 10% of limits. Then went and got the tags. Middle of the month is the way to go. No waiting at either place.

Anyway, then we went to work.

0816181814a-1.jpg

And just because there were rocks close...

0816181818.jpg

Not much flex in those HD springs, but Damn that frame sure has some twist to it...

Farm chores this afternoon.
0825181840_HDR-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom