Broken down in Pocatello: Weber/Stock Throttle linkage issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm 200 miles from home, hauling a trailer and havin a great time when suddenly while pressing the gas the pedal locks out at the floor and won't budge. Strange thing is that instead of going full blast the carb is sitting at about 1400RPM worth of fuel flow. I pull off in a little town called Inkom and pop the hood and cannot move the throttle linkage arm for the life of me. The throttle pull on the carb itself works great and I can rev the engine no problem manually but I cannot get the carb going. I eventually get the gas pedal unstuck... only to realize that all I've done is separated the ball joint from the carb arm.

At this point I'm at a loss. I don't know what's up with the linkage because when I look at the geometry of it all I can see is that it appears out of shape. Currently the arm looks like it would be pressing on my brake lines whenever I put power down, as though it got twisted out of shape or something. I also can't reconnect the gas pedal at this point because geometrically it's too far over for me to connect the ball joint back up.

Here's an album of the linkage:
https://goo.gl/photos/o36YBhTSCGGqa29z6

Any thoughts on what could be the issue? Thanks so much.

There is a lot of linkage in your set up. From the photos, everything near the carb looks okay. It sounds like the linkage is binding somwhere near the pedal and the firewall. Check each joint and hopefully you can find the problem. Which way are you headed?

The main arm, the one running the length from the firewall to the carb, is completely frozen.

The mountings all look fine, the firewall mount plates all look like they're in good shape for the linkages though I haven't looked at the motor frame I would expect to see warping or damage on the firewall mounts if the engine had been pulling on it right?

In your pick on the bottom right it looks like the linkage is bent and jammed against the manifold. Even the arm on the throttle shaft looks bent. No a bad motor mount won't warp the firewall. Take the linkage all apart. Take the arm off the throttle shaft. U will need a hammer, a wrench, a flat blade screwdriver, and your front bumper. Use your front bumper as a bench to hammer the pieces back straight. Do one piece at a time so u don't forget where it goes.

The main rod is flipped over some how
You need to rotate it counter clockwise
Looking at the firewall part that is at 12@6
Should be 9@3 roughly
It cammed over at carb carb side
So undo the linkage there rotate main linkage
Hook it back up

Tin Basher is spot on! And White Stripe has the right sequence for making the repair!! You musta hit the throttle a bit too hard at one point and things got a bit out of alignment... But it ain't all broken, so it can be bent straight and hooked back up right!! Good luck!!!

Think once you get the tension off it it will go back together ok but you are going to have to figure out the geometry a bit better to stop this from happening again I can't get to my stock cruiser it's under three feet of snow wonder if you are missing a throttle stop
Or if it's just a adjustment

Last edited:
Thanks for your help everyone. I'm unable to get at one of the bolts holding the mounting bracket on and the bolt holding the arm in is stripped. It's looking like I'm gonna spend another night here before taking it into a real life mechanic tomorrow.

At least I can tell him that I know what the problem is. Maybe I'll ask them about potential solutions to the over-extension issue, we'll see.

I recall driving a VW bus back home from Yosemite in the mid 80's with electrical wire attached to my carb. One hand pulling the throttle open the other steering and shifting. Not suggesting you do this but sometimes a little McGuiver action is needed. Good luck! Hope it is a simple fix.

Should just be able to pop the rod going from shaft to carb linkage off the ball rotate the shaft and pop it back together the problem is at the carb linkage not the firewall I bet you could manually full throttle the carburator shaft and the main linkage shaft will rotate
Back counter clockwise
I think the push rod to the carb is to short
And that extension on the throttle arm off carb bent just enough to allow it to cam over

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom