Brake Upgrade - The Tundra Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They did not appear to me machined. I don’t know which exact cutting process they may have used but it was not a CNC mill. No end mill marks.

I’m guessing it’s probably water jet or HD plasma. I was just curious since I’m CNC milling mine and wondering if I should be just water jetting them to save money.

I have a question, how much of a spacer does the rotor itself provide between the hub face and WMS?

Not home but I can check tonight if you're in need of some calcs.

Thanks for the notes and pics. I am compiling parts for this.

What length SS brake lines are the go-to for this? 24"?

Thanks.

Reading through this again because I've been prioritizing projects to do on my 62. From the looks of the pictures it does, but can anyone verify if this upgrade shifts the wheel mounting flange outwards? Looks like it moves a good 2" out. On my stock front hubs I'm using 2" adapters to run my Tacoma wheels. If the mounting flange is moved out from the stock location, it'd be nice to eliminate the adapters, especially since then it'd be uniform to the 80 series rear I'm planning on getting in the spring.

The IFS hubs are add 1.6” to the WMS on each side, that plus the thickness of the rotor between the wheel and hub should be just about 2”.

Reading through this again because I've been prioritizing projects to do on my 62. From the looks of the pictures it does, but can anyone verify if this upgrade shifts the wheel mounting flange outwards? Looks like it moves a good 2" out. On my stock front hubs I'm using 2" adapters to run my Tacoma wheels. If the mounting flange is moved out from the stock location, it'd be nice to eliminate the adapters, especially since then it'd be uniform to the 80 series rear I'm planning on getting in the spring.

They balance the 80 axle out nicely. I can try and get some photos of the front to back if you want some to relate what it’s going to look like.

I’m pretty local to Torfab when you come in town if you want to grab a beer. They have 2 breweries near them.

They balance the 80 axle out nicely. I can try and get some photos of the front to back if you want some to relate what it’s going to look like.

I’m pretty local to Torfab when you come in town if you want to grab a beer. They have 2 breweries near them.
Hell yeah I'm definitely down. At the very least I'm planning on hitting up Scuttlebutt while I'm there. It's been at least 15 years since I've been to the waterfront in Everett.

They are still around and doing well.

These guys are right across the street from Tor’s shop.

They are still around and doing well.

These guys are right across the street from Tor’s shop.

Oh nice. I don't think they were there last time I was in Everett. I'll have to give them a try too. I'll probably be there with my brother in law so he can drive me back to Spokane so I can keep working while Tor has my 62.

You can kinda see what the stance will be like with these. The front becomes more obvious when you look at the relation of how far the hub sticks out.

For reference: 285/75R17 on FJC steelies 17X8 4.5BS
1569986350484.jpeg

1569986371823.jpeg

That looks good. I'd love to find a set of hub centric alloy 17x8 wheels with 4.5" BS. I'd have to double check but IIRC my Tacoma wheels are 5.5" BS and even now with 2" wheel adapters the wheelbase looks narrow.

Huh, I stand corrected. Apparently they're 4.25". Sure looks narrow on my 62 though, even with the adapters.

I stand double corrected. They're a 30mm offset, which on a 7.5" wheel comes out to just a hair shy of 5.5". I'm planning in the spring to go ahead and get a set of 17x9" wheels with a 4.5" BS when I get 33" tires to coincide with the H55F conversion I'm working with @torfab to iron out and schedule.

Also concerning the Tundra mod, apparently it goes very well with the FZJ80 rear Toyota discs, so they'll be doing that along with an 80 rear on my 62 as well as the H55F conversion.

Last edited:
The IFS hubs are add 1.6” to the WMS on each side, that plus the thickness of the rotor between the wheel and hub should be just about 2”.
Does the extra 2" affect steering handling at all? This would be an increased radius that the wheel pivots in the knuckle relative to an 80 series axle swap, correct?

Does the extra 2" affect steering handling at all? This would be an increased radius that the wheel pivots in the knuckle relative to an 80 series axle swap, correct?

The width doesn’t change the handling at all.

the hub bearings are in the same place just the WMS is different between the two.

The width doesn’t change the handling at all.

the hub bearings are in the same place just the WMS is different between the two.

This is entirely dependent on the backspace and width of your wheels and tire diameter. @MarkBC is referring to scrub radius.
I would say that if you’re doing this modification it’s implied that it’s to go along with an increase in tire diameter, which along with correct wheel backspace/offset should yield correct scrub

But if you're doing it to match the 80 rear axle then by definition the scrub will be larger than previously.

I can't address scrub or other technical questions but I can say that the Tundra brake mod with rear 80 series axle handles well. There is still a vagueness in the steering but I think that is inherent in the overall design of the steering components, etc. My 60 tracks fine down the road the upgraded brake and axle modifications. It's a Land Cruiser so it'll never have the precise steering of a Miata but overall I do not detect any negative steering attributes.

But if you're doing it to match the 80 rear axle then by definition the scrub will be larger than previously.

The rear axle has no effect on scrub. Yes, increasing front WMS width without changing kingpin inclination angle or pivot width will increase scrub in the positive direction. Larger tires or larger wheel backspacing will reduce it back to proper spec. When changing geometry it is important to look at every component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom