Bolt on turbo kit (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah this one was welded up by my friend Marc who used to work for EMS, he also made my new manifold. I am trying to get the old jig, but really I think I would change the placement just a little so that the "add on intercooler kit" could be used with both the new turbo setup and the TRD SC kit, so that both groups could benefit from getting a good intercooler.

That's the one I want! That is the old EMS J pipe, correct? I think it is an excellent choice. I tried to source one a while back to buy, or at least borrow to copy but no luck.

Haha, no man the only issue with the Safari kit if I remember right is that the rear housing was also a custom piece and if it gets a crack there aren't any replacements ;) lol.

Help sourcing Safari Turbo Exhaust Housing - .82AR
How's this one?

IMG_1643.PNG

Haha it is a lot of fun, its really hard to tell in the video, it is really soft deep sand, and I was trying to drive with one hand and video with the other so it was kind of slow, but Slee shocks and a turbo makes it pretty fun!

That doesn't look fun at all.:steer:

Last edited:
Haha it is a lot of fun, its really hard to tell in the video, it is really soft deep send, and I was trying to drive with one hand and video with the other so it was kind of slow, but Slee shocks and a turbo makes it pretty fun!

How many PSI are you running? I am sure the Slee shocks are amazing.

It is great! and would be an upgrade in the kit.

Budget - J/Y-pipe

Premium - 6Boost

But most of the other parts would be the same, unless you wanted to go from a nice BW airwerks turbo to a very nice Garrett or BW EFR turbo. But all of those little details would depend on who I can talk into actually picking this up and what retailer options they get. But Tial would certainly be the Blowoff and Wastegate provider assuming I can't do an internal WG.

I vary it depending on my mood but between 14 and 20psi on a stock bottom end with 168,000 miles. But that is not what this kit would run!

We are talking 7-8psi, for a very safe and reliable setup on a stock 80.

How many PSI are you running? I am sure the Slee shocks are amazing.

I vary it depending on my mood but between 14 and 20psi on a stock bottom end with 168,000 miles. But that is not what this kit would run!

Yes. Having seen the crank, rods, and wrist pins in a stock 1FZ I would say it would be yawning at 8psi.

With a rebuild due in the coming couple of years, I would be ecstatic to have a full bolt on turbo option as long it was complete and all quality components. The only other route for more power is an LS swap....but that isn't a weekend proposition.

How are turbo 80s off road?

Pretty much just the same as stock in most situations (i.e. crawling or bumbling along a rocky trail). A lot more fun than stock in a situation where the trail opens up and you can give it some gas (i.e. sand, dirt road between obstacles, etc). No downside at all from a performance standpoint. The only downside I can think of would be hotter underhood temps, but I never had a problem with it off road.

Yeah the under hood temps would be my concern. Most of the wheeling we do up here is pretty slow going through the woods, dry creek beds and rock gardens.

fwiw, I never had any temperature issues once my intercooler was properly vented. When I did have temp problems, it was at highway speed on mountain climbs. Removal of the turbo has verified that the issue was not turbo related and due to a general lack of maintenance :hillbilly:

7-8 is nice enough.

I would like to see a complete list of parts to be purchased to put together the complete kit. That way I can slowly do it over time so the money isn't missed. A $3000 purchase is hard to hide or explain.

Take a look at the link in my signature for a good shopping list :) I'm sure if this kit comes together, it will be superior to my setup (professionally fabricated downpipe, twin-scroll compatible J pipe, for instance) but the major parts sound pretty similar to what Ryan is proposing, and I originally go my parts list from him :)

Thanks @Heckraiser I'm reading through your thread again and taking notes. I'm going to do this... but slowly gathering parts as funds allow.

I'm considering trying this kit:
CXRacing Turbo Manifold + Downpipe For Land Cruiser J80 1FZFE 1FZ-FE 1FZ T4 | eBay

I know the consensus is that CX isn't high quality but I like the idea of the downpipe coming with the manifold instead having to fab it somehow and I would get a quality turbo like the Borg and bracing it to support the manifold.

It is fabbed to accept a 50mm wastegate. In the threads most are using a 38mm. Does that matter that much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom