Bolt on turbo kit (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How much extra work would go into a 93-94? I'm at the rebuild/repower crossroads and am trying (with limited success) to make my mind up!

When Safari offered a turbo for the 93-94 they added a 7th injector to fuel properly which requires a device to control it. All years as I recall used the UniChip which was a piggyback controller. I don't recall if that controlled the 7th injector or not.

As I recall when TRD/Magnuson developed the SC originally they started in approximately in late '96 or early '97 and the CARB certification and first production/sales happened in fall 2000. Obviously not all that time was directly related to certification as there were other models TRD were developing and there were delays getting corporate approvals etc. but it is certainly not a 30 day process. CARB approval is not a cheap process. To be practical and cost effective 100's of units would have to be the target sales.

Safari did it and only shipped about 25 units to the US.

When Safari offered a turbo for the 93-94 they added a 7th injector to fuel properly which requires a device to control it. All years as I recall used the UniChip which was a piggyback controller. I don't recall if that controlled the 7th injector or not.

I'll have to go check my documentation but I don't remember anything about a 7th injector, just the unichip which the cruisers run better without anyway.

Late to the thread but way back in the day I recall guys in the volvo circles (back when 240 turbos were more popular) using megasquirt to manage fuel for the custom turbo setups. Maybe someone has tried it on a cruiser?

I wholeheartedly embrace anything turbo and at one point swore I would never own a non turbo car. The amount of torque they produce with such ease is unreal. A low pressure turbo kit for the cruiser would be a dream come true.

Things I recall from my turbo vehicle days:

1. Intercoolers are important. Even a small one helps but on the old volvos the intercooler was the same size as the radiator. It made a big difference when under boost for longer periods of time.

2. Water cooled turbos add to longevity. Having some kind of water lines to the turbo prevents cooking (and coking) the oil. Once the engine is off the water circulates on its own to continue cooling things down. On my Volvo 850 the original turbo was still working at 308k when i sold it, it was water-cooled. I added a water cooling kit to my 240 turbo which helped as well.

3. Turbos make for hot engine compartments. I fondly recall opening the hood at night after a hard run just to smell the heat and look at the glowing orange exhaust manifold. The paint on the hood and wiring in the engine compartment didn't feel the same special embrace.

4. The temptation to increase boost is always there. Its like a drug, just a little more can't hurt can it? Air/fuel ratio gauges are your friend in a custom setup and will keep you from going too far to the dark side. Find a safe boost level and leave it there, nobody is winning a drag race in a boosted cruiser (unless its against a non boosted one).

5. Automatic transmissions go well with turbos. I'm the first guy to knock on all of the "cons" of an automatic transmission but I do have to admit they work well with a turbo engine. The wave of torque doesn't end and it just keeps on pushing with each gear.

6. Cold dry mornings are a treat. I recall some hard runs on those cold dry fall mornings when the air was thick. The intercooler and intake manifold were still cold to the touch. Memory lane.

Ok enough BSing, I'm just reminiscing about why turbos are so great at this point.

I'll have to go check my documentation but I don't remember anything about a 7th injector, just the unichip which the cruisers run better without anyway.

My guess is the 7th injector was dropped with OBDII. My 97 Safari turbo docs does not have anything on a 7th injector but the CARB cert refers to ODBII not available 93-94.

So what's the estimated HP and TQ rating on 7-8 psi without going to a piggyback fueling ECU I'm debating on doing a LS swap or trying a turbo.

I fully trust whatever Scotty comes out with. I'm not a fan of the CX racing FMIC. What are options for the guys that wanna run +9lbs of boost as far as piggy back ECU options.

I'm debating on time spent on a LS swap or going with a bolt on turbo kit that that would spool up on the low to mid range

Safari did it and only shipped about 25 units to the US.

The reason Safari sold such a small number of units in the US is that it had to be dealer installed. Peter Luxon the owner of Safari offered to install the initial units "at cost" which I recall being around $9,000 which was much higher than the going price in Australia. As I recall the only dealer that ultimately was authorized was Man-A-Fre and only offered 95-97 applications. The 93-94 option in Australia was discontinued early on as the Toyota ECM used a lessor processor and was not fast enough.

What about a roof rack mounted radiator with electric fans and a core support mounted intercooler? That should throw off the emissions inspectors . Lol

Actually you dont need anything to registrar a vehicle in Montana. It been known to be done over the phone just give any address and use your current address for mailing.

As a former Montanan I can almost agree with this. To initially register you need to show proof of residency (a bill, mail, etc.). This isn't all that hard to do but definitely much more enforced recently. I'm willing to bet this is also less enforced out away from the big cities.
That being said I may or may not drive a 3" straight piped JDM suby in Seattle that was just reregistered in MT but the tags got sent to WA...

I thought I'd post my findings so far. Keep in mind that mine is a 93, so standalone is needed. I already have experience with Megasquirt with my VW Scirocco, so I'll be going that route first, get it tuned and working on the stock truck and then make the transition to turbo when I can afford to rebuild my cylinder head and my bottom end if it's needed.

Copy/Edit/Paste from the other turbo thread:

I was going to go with a solid manifold for longevity and reliability. The tubular ones won't last as long and will probably break even sooner from wheeling. Link.

The turbo is the one part you don't want to skimp on. I would look at something made by Garrett, Borg Warner or another quality turbo brand. Something like this, maybe. A Dual-scroll would be awesome, but would need a specific manifold to take advantage of it(not sure if one exists, other than making a J-tube).

You have to figure out your ECU situation. The pre-95 VAF's will handle little to no boost. So you'll have to go to standalone, or piggy back. I wouldn't even bother with piggy backing, personally. I would go straight to standalone, like Megasquirt. They also have kits so you can assemble it yourself and save some money.

They have adapters so you can plug the Megasquirt ecu directly into your existing ecu harness here. This makes swapping in the old ecu possible.

The biggest problem is the Transmission ECU. That is, if you want to use the Electronic "power" button(and overdrive button), as the engine ECU and Transmission ECU talk to each-other. I've got all the wiring diagrams for the transmission and the engine ecu and still am not sure what some of the wires do(the diagrams don't specify)... since the transmission doesn't need a computer to operate on the early FZJ80's (93-94), this isn't 100% necessary from what I understand, but will be better since it revs out higher when the button is pressed(turbos like that).

I'm by no means an expert, but this is what I've found in my search for turbo'ing my 93 FZJ80.

Last edited:
Yeah this is true for residential addresses, what most people do is pay $250 to start a "business" in Montana and register their car under the business. You can also avoid taxes on very expensive vehicles by doing this. Part of the reason you see a lot of exotics with Montana plates. I may or may not have saved $7000 on sales tax. Haha.

Exotic Cars and Montana Plates

As a former Montanan I can almost agree with this. To initially register you need to show proof of residency (a bill, mail, etc.). This isn't all that hard to do but definitely much more enforced recently. I'm willing to bet this is also less enforced out away from the big cities.
That being said I may or may not drive a 3" straight piped JDM suby in Seattle that was just reregistered in MT but the tags got sent to WA...

Yeah this is true for residential addresses, what most people do is pay $250 to start a "business" in Montana and register their car under the business. You can also avoid taxes on very expensive vehicles by doing this. Part of the reason you see a lot of exotics with Montana plates. I may or may not have saved $7000 on sales tax. Haha.

Exotic Cars and Montana Plates

Also super illegal and i know a certain state (CA) is cracking down on it. I would definitely go the exact same route though. Fun fact, supposedly the Bozeman Audi sells more R8's than any other Audi stealership. I'm guessing thats why.

Sorry for the threadjack.

If Trump can be president, I can register a car in Montana!

The Aussie guys do this all the time. Even a FB page for just 1FZ-FE turbos. If anyone has any questions I say go there. They can get them for around that price even. I've been in contact with some companies from there. The kit can come with the ECU as well for us 93-94 guys. I'm considering this as well.

Aussie trucks never came with the A343 transmission and their ECU has none of the emissions stuff the US trucks do. If you do it, I would be impressed if it was plug and play, but there is not currently a Turbo kit even in Australia. I have been part of that FB group since it was started. There are companies making both intake and turbo manifolds and I have recommended them several times, but there is no complete kit anywhere for sale that I know of besides the CXRacing kit.

The Aussie guys do this all the time. Even a FB page for just 1FZ-FE turbos. If anyone has any questions I say go there. They can get them for around that price even. I've been in contact with some companies from there. The kit can come with the ECU as well for us 93-94 guys. I'm considering this as well.

Last edited:
From AXT

Hi
Thanks for your enquiry regarding the 1FZFE

This is our most popular combination;
AXT Turbo Petrol Kit to suit a Toyota Land cruiser 1FZ-fe you’re looking at $5,950 AUD (for both turbo & ECU kits).
We use the Wolf V550 as our Ecu
You can expect possible gains of over +40-50% over standard, running at approx. 5-6PSI boost pressure.
This kit is designed to bolt to a standard OEM engine, without needing major modifications. However this kit and turbo are capable to withstand 20+ PSI

STANDARD BASE KIT
- 2 Piece Cast Custom Flow exhaust manifold
-Mandrel bend exhaust pipe
-Braided stainless steel, Teflon lined water and oil lines
-Stainless steel hardware (clamps, studs etc.)
-Custom built T3/T4 Hybrid water-cooled internally waste-gated turbocharger
-Cast alloy air ducts
–Complete ECU upgrade; new computer (which we provide with a base start and run map) ( Upgraded – no longer a piggyback- this unit does everything ! ).
The ECU Kit includes internal MAP sensor, air temp sensor and narrowband O2 Sensor.
Our ECU system will happily integrate with all models, and is effectively infinitely adjustable to suit all wiring configurations. If you are able to provide a wiring diagram and ECU pinout or your exact vehicle model, we can ship the unit as a direct "plug-in" to your harness, otherwise we can supply a universal wire-in loom.
The ECU system also has a myriad of options, including Flex-Fuel sensor addons, wide-band O2 Self Tune Add-ons, automatic gearbox controllers etc. If you have a specific desire, please let us know.

OTHER BASE KIT OPTIONS
We also have all different levels of kit, depending on your budget, needs and fabrication capacity. The 2 main “starter kits” we have are :

1 – Budget Low boost Entry Level Hot Side Only Kit - $2650.00 This is basically, our custom 2 piece manifold, Custom air-cooled Turbocharger using Garrett centre, Oil feed and Oil return lines.
You’ll still need to make / source / supply your own ducting, exhaust, boost control, intercooler, ECU etc.

2- AXT Base Turbo Hardware Only Kit - $3500.00 This is everything in the Standard Base Kit, without the ECU components.
You’ll still need to source your own ECU, intercooler etc depending on desired boost and power levels. This will get you approx 2-3 psi

With all kits, we are quite open to mix /matching / personalisation etc, to provide you the best solution for your needs.

ECU cost on its on is $2600

OPTIONAL UPGRADES
- For an AXT Custom Liquid/Air Intercooler System base kit $2,350.00
- For an AXT Performance Sports Exhaust Kit to suit from $1,450.00
- For an AXT Performance Fuel Pump Upgrade Kit to suit from $350.00
- For an AXT Performance Injector Upgrade Kit to suit from $855.00

Running at our recommended settings, you should be able to retain the standard injectors, however for further power increases, you will need to go to higher flow capacities. These kits are designed with the professional installer in mind. These kits include all the core products required, however your qualified fitter / tuner may require additional components, accessories, fittings hardware or adapters for their considered safe and acceptable installation.

If you require any further information or assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Scott
AXT Turbo Pty Ltd
3/175 Cheltenham Road
Dandenong, Victoria 3175
Australia

Oh yeah AXT, but go look at the FB page what people in Australia think about them. ;)

Their turbo's are not name brand

They are basically the CXRacing of Australia. Making 50% more power on 5psi boost is impossible. With zero efficiency losses it would take 7.35psi to make 50% more power.

The $2600 kit is just the cheap turbo, the cheap manifold and and two oil lines. I could sell you that for $1300. with a genuine Borg Warner turbo. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom