Bolt on turbo kit (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh yeah AXT, but go look at the FB page what people in Australia think about them. ;)

Their turbo's are not name brand

They are basically the CXRacing of Australia. Making 50% more power on 5psi boost is impossible. With zero efficiency losses it would take 7.35psi to make 50% more power.

The $2600 kit is just the cheap turbo, the cheap manifold and and two oil lines. I could sell you that for $1300. with a genuine Borg Warner turbo. lol.
The 2600 is in aussie dollars which is about 1300. I'm just passing along info that I received. I'm not turboing yet. Just gathering info. Even that FB group is kinda working on a kit. But nobody there wants to pay for a quality kit. I'd give my money to those guys to build me one and have them ship it to me if anything.

No $2600AU --> $1940USD + shipping.

For:
a junk turbo
A cast manifold
2 oil lines.

Like I said you can get better quality much much cheaper.

Treadstone cast manifold - $419
Borg Warner S300 - $799
Oil lines - $75

While the Treadstone manifold is not ideal, and I would want to keep it a true twin scroll system, if I help work out a system I can guarantee it will actually be all quality parts.

The 2600 is in aussie dollars which is about 1300. I'm just passing along info that I received. I'm not turboing yet. Just gathering info. Even that FB group is kinda working on a kit. But nobody there wants to pay for a quality kit. I'd give my money to those guys to build me one and have them ship it to me if anything.

Scotty so with your proposed setup what would be estimated safe HP and TQ without going with piggyback ECU?

No that seems like it would be incorrect as well.

Like I said if you just simply look at the engine's BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption) which is the amount of fuel required to produce power, you can see that a turbo vehicle always requires more fuel and is less efficient than an NA car. This lack of efficiency comes from the vehicle needing to run more rich as boost increases, but it also tells us that at standard, temperature and pressure, we have 14.7psi of air going in the engine when NA, this is what the stock power level is measured at in our case that is 212hp at the crank. So with zero efficiency loss going to 5psi would simply be ((14.7psi+5psi)/14.7psi)*212hp = 284hp. There will be more torque increase than that but it would only be maybe an additional 5-10% more so maybe (((14.7psi+5psi)/14.7psi)*275ft/lbs)*1.10 = 405ft/lbs.

But again this is assuming absolutely zero efficiency loss, and that isn't realistic, the turbo will heat up the air more, the timing may have to be adjusted, the extra air flow contributes to more resistance in the intake so that 5psi is not 100% combustion chamber resistance, etc.

According to the info on the Safari Turbo set up the claim is 335hp at 5psi of boost, does that sound accurate?

Last edited:
I am very interested! Consider the first one sold.

I started planning it out a while back and even ordered a manifold only to have it on back order for months and then the order cancelled. I then came to the realization that I simply don't have even close to enough time to do it myself.

I know how much time and $ it takes to get projects off the ground. I don't have much time but I do have manufacturing resources and references (laser cutting, tube bending, machining, fabrication and one of the best TIG welders around) If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

If this does come together and is legitimately a go I would be willing to pre pay as I understand how hard it is to finance the initial run.

P.S.
My appreciation for what can be done with Turbo's and technology has been kicked up quite a few more notches recently. Just did a tuner on our 17 Raptor -- 3.5L V6 putting out 525hp and over 600ft*lb.
!!!!!Turbo!!!

According to the info on the Safari Turbo set up the claim is 335hp at 5psi of boost, does that sound accurate?

Any problems with the Treadstone cast manifold?

Heard someone awhile back had some issues with the manifold. I think a bolt hole not being machined correctly and some other stuff.

There have been issues off and one with all of the cast manifold, Safari, AXT, Treadstone, there was a Chinese one on eBay, all have had slight to pretty extreme quality control issues. From not surfacing the bolt holes so that nuts would not sit flat, to cracks right out of the box. That is part of why I am proposing a kit.

But of course there is not enough demand to have a new casting done, and my "budget" version would be a J/Y-pipe from the factory manifolds. This maintains the stock twin scroll firing order and can be made very high quality without a very high cost.

image-1646748812-jpg.766524

image-3436019504-jpg.766525

Heard someone awhile back had some issues with the manifold. I think a bolt hole not being machined correctly and some other stuff.

There have been issues off and one with all of the cast manifold, Safari, AXT, Treadstone, there was a Chinese one on eBay, all have had slight to pretty extreme quality control issues. From not surfacing the bolt holes so that nuts would not sit flat, to cracks right out of the box. That is part of why I am proposing a kit.

But of course there is not enough demand to have a new casting done, and my "budget" version would be a J/Y-pipe from the factory manifolds. This maintains the stock twin scroll firing order and can be made very high quality without a very high cost.

So should I consider myself lucky my Safari manifold has lasted since 1997?

No I think if it was available today it is probably one of the better cast manifolds.

So should I consider myself lucky my Safari manifold has lasted since 1997?

That's the one I want! That is the old EMS J pipe, correct? I think it is an excellent choice. I tried to source one a while back to buy, or at least borrow to copy but no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom