Bolt on 80 Series Tire Carrier Compatible with Factory Bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know I said I wouldn't do it, but what if I made an opposing swing out side to mount Jerry cans, hilifts and other accessories? Anyone interested in that?
How would it all latch together? Would the opposing side be shorter?

I'm interested in a dual swing out! Definitely!

I know I said I wouldn't do it, but what if I made an opposing swing out side to mount Jerry cans, hilifts and other accessories? Anyone interested in that?
I would be interested, but there's got to be an catch for the swingout(s) in the form of a hood strut, latch, tension rod or the like in the future to keep the gate under safe control. I was perusing this solution on my own, but the mystery lies in the length, coupling type, extension open/close length in foot pounds, etc. If I've got to worry and a second swingout slamming into the side of my rig, coming back onto people in the read area, or banging into adjacent vehicles, it's only exasperating an existing issue.

Reactions: GGM
For me personally the idea of a 2nd swingout starts to bring us away from having the most simple, yet sturdy tire carrier with major bang for your buck on the market.
To each their own though, and I love all these accessories coming out and even bought a table so I am being a little bit of a hypocrite here. Just think adding a 2nd swingout is a bit extra for something I feel was intended to be so simple.
Thanks again GGM for the amazing product and new accessories coming out. You do you! Just throwing an opinion out there.

I would be interested, but there's got to be an catch for the swingout(s) in the form of a hood strut, latch, tension rod or the like in the future to keep the gate under safe control. I was perusing this solution on my own, but the mystery lies in the length, coupling type, extension open/close length in foot pounds, etc. If I've got to worry and a second swingout slamming into the side of my rig, coming back onto people in the read area, or banging into adjacent vehicles, it's only exasperating an existing issue.
I was going to say the same thing. id enjoy seeing a gas strut figured out for the tire carrier first to ensure you don’t lose hold while opening.

I probably wouldn’t opt for a second carrier since I like the single/contained system of the single swing with the mounts

edit: Spelling is hard

Last edited:
I was going to say the same thing. id enjoy seeing a gas strut figured out for the tire carrier first to ensure you don’t lose hold while opening.

I probably wouldn’t opt for a second carrier since I like the single/contained system of the singer swing with the mounts
Gas strut is #1 on my list of needs as well

I've been busy on the computer. Here's the initial idea, very subject to change... Holds 2 jerry cans and a hilift, many holes/slots for mounting other things too. Might put a bigger table on the back as well. Let me know your request of things I can try to work into the design. The top part is removable so you can have just the arm to build your own thing, or I may offer other attachment options. 🍻
swing out 1.JPG

swing out 2.JPG

swing out 3.JPG

swing out 4.JPG

One more thing, I'm throwing around the idea of bumper ends. Basically corner armor that would replace the plastics on the side of the bumper. The goal would be modular, pretty strong, not crazy heavy and work with the tire carrier. The middle crossmember would be left alone. In the end you could have dual swing outs with corner protection for significantly less than what the big boys charge for a full bumper setup (much less shipping cost too). And you could do it in stages as your rig progresses.

Last weekend we took the 80 out and dropped into a hole that smacked the plastic corner pretty good. That made we wonder that as things progress the next step would be some corner protection. Just an idea

That’s an excellent idea. Would there be 2 versions, one for the people doing both Swing Outs, and those doing only one?

or does this idea exist completely independent from the swing outs?

That’s an excellent idea. Would there be 2 versions, one for the people doing both Swing Outs, and those doing only one?

or does this idea exist completely independent from the swing outs?
Not entirely sure, I think it would incorporate the swingout's frame mount as a mounting feature. So it may require both. Or a mount will have to be provided thats similar to the swingout's frame mount. I'll have to crawl under there and stare at it for a while to come up with a plan..

For anyone on the fence about these products; know this.

Matt from GGM is always open to constructive criticism, and he acts on it. If there’s a way to make something better and he hasn’t figured it out yet, he will take that advice and do something with it. His products are made with passion and dedication. Exactly the kind of guy you’d want building stuff for the 80 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom