Bolt length for FZJ80 factory hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up an OEM hitch that I want to install on my LX450. I know the bolts are M12x1.25 pitch, but what is the proper length I should use? I've seen various responses on forums, one saying 35mm and others saying 50mm, 60mm.

What's the consensus please?

35 mm may be a bit short , 50mm seem a little long almost 2" but the extra length would just thread into the frame

I would just pull one of you bumper bolts and figure you need it to be about a 1/4" longer

My guess is 40mm

I just picked up an OEM hitch that I want to install on my LX450. I know the bolts are M12x1.25 pitch, but what is the proper length I should use? I've seen various responses on forums, one saying 35mm and others saying 50mm, 60mm.

My Fastenal Invoice shows I used M12x70 bolts. I have a pintle hitch and it's rather thick, plus don't forget you'll likely need some washers.

Not likely, absolutely. Those pintle hitches are cast; you can't run a bolt head down on them and expect them to stay tight. You'll need washers on both sides, because the holes are oversized. I'd recommend structural washers. They're thicker than machine washers, so you'll need extra long bolts.

You need to clarify if you are talking about the port installed receiver hitch that bolts under the frame or the OEM pintle hitch that bolts to the rear crossmember. I assume the former but comments/advice is mixing the two.

You need to clarify if you are talking about the port installed receiver hitch that bolts under the frame or the OEM pintle hitch that bolts to the rear crossmember. I assume the former but comments/advice is mixing the two.
This ^^^^

Easy enough to figure out, but again 40 mm will work ;)

I assumed it was the port installed hitch as it has captured nut installed in the frame, the pintle hitch is a nut and bolt set up meaning a wide variety of hardware could be used.

Easy enough to figure out, but again 40 mm will work ;)

I assumed it was the port installed hitch as it has captured nut installed in the frame, the pintle hitch is a nut and bolt set up meaning a wide variety of hardware could be used.
Actually, for the pintle hitch, the top two bolt holes are captive nut and the bottom two are just holes. There is enough room behind the top two holes for an additional nut if you use a long enough bolt. I did so out of an abundance of caution when I installed my ball pintle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom