Builds Body work - fixing my '79 floors and other stuff (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is an area where you don't have to reinvent the wheel. Amazing how many parts can be made with a hammer and a leather purse lol. Lots of DIY videos and watching others with skill. O

Thanks for the posts. Nice not to be only one fighting the rust demon. At least now you know it's solid won't leak exhaust gases in or water etc. po filled in with bondo tar and glass. It's worth the time to do it right. 1-2 repairs pays for the welder. Or in the case of striking the fender while pounding out bushings. Oops. Was all trash anyway never woulda passed safety. Love your truck

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looking good. Will you fill in between welds? Hafta here. Amazing how much quieter and cleaner your ride will be.

Out of the garage for a couple trips around the block before dropping the gas tank to take out the floor. And some time spent cutting spot welds. About half done, passenger fender is divorced from the floor.

9714AD4F-9C49-4C74-84D5-9BF055CD3A05.jpeg

5354D70F-4104-423C-AFB0-90EFA05797C4.jpeg

A40CA2FA-06EB-487D-BAC2-7A8B80BFA613.jpeg

F1A8D382-212D-4A3F-AF2E-886024A23934.jpeg

Out with the old... And test fitting the new. This is a LCH panel. It looks ok and the dimensions are pretty good but the accuracy of the bends are not right where the floor angles up near the gas tank access cover.

70E50026-44F0-4FE4-9080-975BDC83CB5A.jpeg

91B72234-69DC-471D-95B0-BCA8D4DF9209.jpeg

So I got side tracked with frame work. Seemed like this work would be easier now while the floor is out.

Moved the shock pins to the back side of the cross member.
Moving the bumpstops back 3"
Pulled the rear spring hangers and plates (1/2" of rust had curved the plate - bought new plates)
Removed all the flaking rust I could and treated it with a couple soakings of phosphoric acid (that is what leaves the white powder look in the pics)

F88C4185-C005-4091-ADC2-8EEE3E67CB3D.jpeg

DC545425-BEE7-41B4-B276-9A4514EFB5AC.jpeg

608793B1-79A8-4CC3-99AA-DE4107EB6681.jpeg

D4A9CFBB-9234-45B4-8DE1-F1B47D7FCDC9.jpeg

So I got side tracked with frame work. Seemed like this work would be easier now while the floor is out.

Moved the shock pins to the back side of the cross member.
Moving the bumpstops back 3"
Pulled the rear spring hangers and plates (1/2" of rust had curved the plate - bought new plates)
Removed all the flaking rust I could and treated it with a couple soakings of phosphoric acid (that is what leaves the white powder look in the pics)

View attachment 1789715

View attachment 1789716

View attachment 1789717

View attachment 1789718
Looking good Moto. Its not too hard to pull the rear crossmember and angle pieces, I found tons of rust on mine once I got them off. Electrolysis did a nice job breaking down the majority of the rust. A wire brush took it the rest of the way off.

What does the underside of your new bed look like?

I had to transfer all the old brackets to the new bed.... gas tank brackets and body mounts....

I reused my body bushings.

I am going to have to transfer pretty much everything. I will take a pic. I got new poly body mounts.

Looking good Moto. Its not too hard to pull the rear crossmember and angle pieces, I found tons of rust on mine once I got them off. Electrolysis did a nice job breaking down the majority of the rust. A wire brush took it the rest of the way off.

What did you do for the rivets on the rear cross member? I am replacing the ones on the spring hanger with bolts. My 40 is far from stock and that location isn't super visible but I would rather keep the stock look on the cross member.

What did you do for the rivets on the rear cross member? I am replacing the ones on the spring hanger with bolts. My 40 is far from stock and that location isn't super visible but I would rather keep the stock look on the cross member.
I used bolts. The heads are painted black like the crossmember. I personally don't think its noticeable very much on mine. Their was substantial rust underneath the joining pieces and it was deforming the pieces. I think its page 17 in my build if u want to look.

I used bolts. The heads are painted black like the crossmember. I personally don't think its noticeable very much on mine. Their was substantial rust underneath the joining pieces and it was deforming the pieces. I think its page 17 in my build if u want to look.

I checked out your rear frame work. I decided I will pull the cross member. Did you just bolt the gusset plate and spring hangers on or weld them as well (similar to how they are originally)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom