Birfield damage *Pics* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin said:
on the long side? :eek:

Yup, but as I said I would never run it on my personal rigs. The one I have in mind is a UROC competitor, his front axle was trashed, inside and out...

Solutions that work for this issue

Ok , so I have also been searching the interwebs for a solution to this problem. I actually stumbled upon this dead thread looking for something else. So as a preface I blew my driver side birf at the dunes first time wheeling sand, at full driver wheel lock trying not to roll sideways down a hill.
Solution:
1. use a wire coat hanger to fish this plate into rough position.
2. Use two lengths of stiff wire with a 3/8 gapped hook bent into one end and fish both wires into the holes on either side of the baffle. Making sure the flat side faces your diff.
3. Go to your local parts store and get a loaner rear axle bearing puller set and slide hammer.
4. Insert the appropriate sized puller ( the one that is the width of your inner axle seal race) through the center of the baffle and carefully remove the support hooks you made.
5. Carefully pull the baffle into position using the bearing puller making sure the bearing puller is sitting centered in the ring.
6. Tighten the nut and washer down flush to the seal race , attach slide hammer and give it a few pulls.
DONE
On a side note mine was also distorted and the only way to get a new one is to pull one off the back side of a knuckle. I first discovered the pressed in plates when I cut and turned my knuckles. My baffle didn't stay in when I put the replacement shaft in so I had to repeat and thoroughly clean as I went. Then I tacked mine in place using my mig set for flux and my tip without its cover wrapped in electrical tape so as not to arc off of anything else. Just be very careful if welding into place.:cheers:

holy batman thread revival :eek: - more than 8 years later :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom