Best Price on a Steering Rack? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Remember that you will have to ship your core back when you buy online, and there might be requirements for timing of that. I bought a Cardone reman from Partsgeek for a good price. But it cost me $50 to ship the core back (FL to NY), and they gave me a hassle because I had to delay the install and did not send the core back in their 30-day allowed window. AND they lost the core on their loading dock. I did send it tracked, though, so they are giving me the credit. Should be getting my core credit this week, hopefully. If I'd know what a pain it would be, I would have bought local for a few dollars more.

I'm good with the delay. The LC is not my DD

I'm good with the delay. The LC is not my DD
Not what I meant. If you buy online, check the small print. Make sure they don't require you to send your core back in some limited number of days. Partsgeek gives you 30 days to send the core back. I had a delay in getting the work done, went a week over 30 days. They initially did not want to give me an extension, but I got a break because my installer didn't give me the paperwork that came in the carton, so I was able to claim ignorance of the terms. Otherwise, I would have been SOL, no core charge returned.

Sorry. I meant that I'd have the rack out and shipped upon ordering. Or I'd send it, wait for them to rebuild it, and send it back.

My 2005LX cost around $1800? At the local Lexus dealer but mine has VGRS plus the Lexus rack is different then the Toyota. Do a search, for details

Just scoping around since my steering rack is leaky -- ordered one from oemtoyotaparts-i-5toyota on 9/12/2018 for 484.44 + $56.12 shipping = Total $ 540.56. Now to get it in

Keep me posted on the results. Rack is leaking a little and I'm definitely wandering at speed. Guessing the gears definitely have play seeing as the entire front end has been rebuilt, bushings and all. Last thing to do is the rack.

Keep me posted on the results. Rack is leaking a little and I'm definitely wandering at speed. Guessing the gears definitely have play seeing as the entire front end has been rebuilt, bushings and all. Last thing to do is the rack.
Replaced the rack, no more leaks and truck drives wayyyy better than before. Steering wheel is smooth with no vibrations

@bushdoctor did you get a chance to get that steering rack installed? I've procrastinated and finally getting around to ordering it and feel so so about the website.

Luis

Hey Luis,

Got it installed - Post #29. The website is so so, but they came through. I've got several oem items from them with no issues. Give it a shot. What's the current cost?

Dude.... fail on me lol idk how I even missed that. Working around the clock is catching up to me lol Its $486 before shipping. I'll give it a shot, I'm betting it'll be an awesome couple together with the new lower ball joints I have too.

Thanks again,
Luis

Hey Luis,

Got it installed - Post #29. The website is so so, but they came through. I've got several oem items from them with no issues. Give it a shot. What's the current cost?

Hi do you have link to website you ordered from?
Can’t find it for close to that price anywhere.
Does the rack come with the D bushing?

New guy here. 2004 with 145k and just saw the leak. My trusted mechanic says I need a new rack. Sounds like this is pretty common but could it be anything else? If it is the rack what else should I have done while the rack is being replaced?

If it's leaking, that's pretty much it.

You could do the tie rod ends at the same time if the new unit doesn't come with them attached.

New guy here. 2004 with 145k and just saw the leak. My trusted mechanic says I need a new rack. Sounds like this is pretty common but could it be anything else? If it is the rack what else should I have done while the rack is being replaced?

Before you completely give up, try ATP AT-205 Re-Seal. I had a leak from the bellows on the driver side and I poured an ounce or two in and the leak has stopped, at least for now. That was 6 months ago on a daily driver, 316,000 mi.

Before you completely give up, try ATP AT-205 Re-Seal. I had a leak from the bellows on the driver side and I poured an ounce or two in and the leak has stopped, at least for now. That was 6 months ago on a daily driver, 316,000 mi.
Thanks I’ll give that a shot. Is there any downside to using that Re-Seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom