Best Price on a Steering Rack? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks I’ll give that a shot. Is there any downside to using that Re-Seal?
Nope. If it doesn't work, you're just out the cost of the product and you still need to buy a rack. Don't pour too much in, just an ounce or two. as on the directions. There's a few threads on MUD regarding power steering flush and leaks. Most recommend a synthetic ATF such as the Valvoline MAXLIFE ATF.

Check these:

Nope. If it doesn't work, you're just out the cost of the product and you still need to buy a rack. Don't pour too much in, just an ounce or two. as on the directions. There's a few threads on MUD regarding power steering flush and leaks. Most recommend a synthetic ATF such as the Valvoline MAXLIFE ATF.

Check these:

Check these:

My power steering fluid is low. Can I just add in some of the ATF and the sealant until I get around to a flush? I’m not sure which type of fluid is in there now.

I’ve noticed my steering has become “loose” over the past few months... I haven’t noticed any steering leak or anything like that... what should I be looking for in regards to needing some rack attention?

My power steering fluid is low. Can I just add in some of the ATF and the sealant until I get around to a flush? I’m not sure which type of fluid is in there now.

That’s what I would do until you have time for the flush.

I’ve noticed my steering has become “loose” over the past few months... I haven’t noticed any steering leak or anything like that... what should I be looking for in regards to needing some rack attention?

check rack bushings tie rod ends

Looking at a 2000 LC w/86 K on the clock. Former New Orleans one owner that in the last 4 months passed through a Lexus mechanic and now owned by a car salesman. Both front axles have been replaced. The rack is leaking and boots are missing. Is that normal for a LC with only 86,000 miles on it?

^^ NO!
For example: my 97 4runner at 214K miles and 92 corolla at 270K miles still got Factory steering racks and no drips. TOYOTA's are made right!

Why would one replace front axles at 68K miles? Very fishy here... Check carfax and see the mileage is recorded properly.

Looking at a 2000 LC w/86 K on the clock. Former New Orleans one owner that in the last 4 months passed through a Lexus mechanic and now owned by a car salesman. Both front axles have been replaced. The rack is leaking and boots are missing. Is that normal for a LC with only 86,000 miles on it?

I'd question the 86k miles. That's extremely low for a 2000. CVs should last much longer than 86k. Mine on my 98 LX lasted nearly 200k before they needed replacing. And that was with daily driving and some seriously hard off-road miles under a lot of weight. As for the rack, mine has lasted nearly 250k. I had to replace the bushings once and have had a small leak for the past 6+ months that has been addressed with ATP205 Stop Leak.

I'd see if you can pull the complete service history because something seems a little "off".

obtained this from a very trusted source:

GREAT NEWS!

Like they did last year on radiators, Toyota is becoming more price competitive many more of their OEM parts. in 2020 these items will be the same great parts but at a lower price point.

Toyota is excited to announce, effective January 1, 2020, significant price adjustment to align the following part categories to be more competitive within the market. With these price reductions, there should be an opportunity for increased parts sales across the board.

Product CategoryReduction %
Air Flow Meter-22%
Brake Caliper-44%
Throttle Body-31%
Steering Rack-30%
Starter-51%
Alternator-50%
A/C Compressor-43%
Serpentine Belts-45%
Power Steering Reservoir-25%

Remember that you will have to ship your core back when you buy online, and there might be requirements for timing of that. I bought a Cardone reman from Partsgeek for a good price. But it cost me $50 to ship the core back (FL to NY), and they gave me a hassle because I had to delay the install and did not send the core back in their 30-day allowed window. AND they lost the core on their loading dock. I did send it tracked, though, so they are giving me the credit. Should be getting my core credit this week, hopefully. If I'd know what a pain it would be, I would have bought local for a few dollars more.
I've had very poor service from partsgeek.

obtained this from a very trusted source:

GREAT NEWS!

Like they did last year on radiators, Toyota is becoming more price competitive many more of their OEM parts. in 2020 these items will be the same great parts but at a lower price point.

Toyota is excited to announce, effective January 1, 2020, significant price adjustment to align the following part categories to be more competitive within the market. With these price reductions, there should be an opportunity for increased parts sales across the board.

Product CategoryReduction %
Air Flow Meter-22%
Brake Caliper-44%
Throttle Body-31%
Steering Rack-30%
Starter-51%
Alternator-50%
A/C Compressor-43%
Serpentine Belts-45%
Power Steering Reservoir-25%

Just in TIME for that 30% reduced price on the steering rack!

Steering rack is 508 and 545 for lexus version at toyotapartsdeal and lexuspartsnow, so let's see if they update their pricing.

Steering rack is 508 and 545 for lexus version at toyotapartsdeal and lexuspartsnow, so let's see if they update their pricing.

Yes, someone please keep an eye on this...and let's see if it really happens.

Yes, someone please keep an eye on this...and let's see if it really happens.

I paid about that for a replacement for my LC last year, so . . .

Since this seems to be a common trend on our 100s, who are people going to for replacement steering racks? $550 seems to be about average delivered looking online for OEM.
$523.72 for a new, not rebuilt, rack from Toyota parts online sans shipping.
I'd question the 86k miles. That's extremely low for a 2000. CVs should last much longer than 86k. Mine on my 98 LX lasted nearly 200k before they needed replacing. And that was with daily driving and some seriously hard off-road miles under a lot of weight. As for the rack, mine has lasted nearly 250k. I had to replace the bushings once and have had a small leak for the past 6+ months that has been addressed with ATP205 Stop Leak.

I'd see if you can pull the complete service history because something seems a little "off".
Rack boots are completely missing. Last Toyota record indicates a key was made in 2008. Mileage was 58,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom