Beeps when locking/unlocking doors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When locking / unlocking the doors in my LC with the remote it has always armed the vehicle with 2 blinks but no beeps. Today, for the first time ever, when locking and unlocking with the remote I got beep-beep along with the turn signal blinks.

Is there a way to make it beep all the time??? BTW, it stopped beeping.

First you gotta figure out which alarm you have. As I understand it, a lot of us have an RS3000. Somebody on the board has linked to the manual for the RS3000 system somewhere on this site. Can't remember who it was off hand. I believe I have an RS 3000 but need to dig into it to get the "beep beep" back. When I got the truck it beeped, but I was screwing around with the alarm one day and it hasn't done it since :) Once I confirm that I have an RS3000 I'll track down the manual and reprogram it.

Eh...

If the "beep" and "beep-beep" is radomly working and not working then most likely it is the little piezo dealyo under the hood giving up the ghost. Both my '97s radomly work, or don't :)

If you get the beep occassionally then the alarm system is already programmed to send the signal to that little beeper, it just isn't working. IIRC, the steps for turning on and off the "beep" is in the owner's manual (at least on my LX it is). Do the steps to insure the system should be beeping and if it continues to radomly beep, or not, then replace the piezo if you choose.

If you do a search on the 80s section for "piezo" you'll get hits on threads telling you exactly which piezo you need to buy and ideas on where to buy them from (i.e. Radio Shack).

The one sometimes helpful thing about the "beep" (aside from not having to watch your lights to see if the rig locked itself) is that it will emit a long "beep" if you try to arm the system and a door isn't fully shut. Without that long "beep" warning you could think you armed the system when in fact you didn't or that your alarm system isn't working when the real problem is you just have a door ajar (DAMHIK).

I tried to track this down on my 80 last year and gave up. On mine there is no beep, except one random beep one afternoon, and my lights don't flash at all. I just listen for the sound of the locks.

Resurrecting this rather than make a new one. The piezo on my 96 LX450 has not worked since I bought it in July. After some mudsearch, I replaced it with a Radio Shack buzzer tonight. It now beeps when I go through the steps to turn the buzzer on (Key to ON, Press both buttons on the fob, wait for security red light to go solid, press bottom button on fob once, turn key to OFF). It beeps the three times while the lights flash, and it will give the long beep if you try to arm the alarm with the door open.

Unfortunately, it still does NOT beep when unlocking or locking. The lights flash and the doors lock, but no beep, just like it always has since I bought it.

Any ideas?

Yeah, I was hoping replacing the piezo would solve the problem, but it still won't beep on lock/unlock. It does beep when programming the fob, so it has to be something else.

Hmm, sounds more like a programming problem :hmm:

This got me thinking. I went outside and followed the owner's manual instructions on how to turn the beeper OFF. Then I got out, closed the doors, pressed the lock button on the fob, and BEEP. BEEP BEEP unlock.

So it's working now, maybe it has a wire crossed somewhere.

This got me thinking. I went outside and followed the owner's manual instructions on how to turn the beeper OFF. Then I got out, closed the doors, pressed the lock button on the fob, and BEEP. BEEP BEEP unlock.

So it's working now, maybe it has a wire crossed somewhere.

That's weird

Does it use the same programming steps to turn the beep "ON"?

Hehe no, the steps are similar, but you push the button once for ON and twice for OFF, and it will beep two or three times depending on whether you are trying to turn it ON or OFF.

I am having the same problem.
I want the beep, but not the alarm.
I was able to turn the alarm off a while back following directions.
When I tried the above suggestion, my alarm is back on but no beep. Damn.

My piezo is new as I thought that was the problem. I got one beep out of it while trying the above procedure

Direction to turn on and off the piezo element

I just got it working following this page.
Please note that I started with the Piezo off (I guess). While programming using direction, The piezo WOULD not chirp as indicated in the manual which was confusing.

The piezo element start chirping only ofter I got out of the car (or open the door)

To summarize:
So if starting with piezo off, follow directions attached, Open and Close the driver door. And then test if you are successful.
RS3000 Owners Guide Page 20 of 27.jpg

rhyary, that is the procedure I used also. I wanted to turn the buzzer on, but it would not happen when I tried the PIEZO "ON" procedure. Iwent ahead and did the PIEZO "OFF" procedure, then got out of the vehicle, closed the door, and tried the fob....and it worked.

The only thing I can think of is something is wired wrong in my particular setup, or something was lost in translation in the manual.

Looking at the page page in your post, maybe "select operating mode" is your current mode, and you follow the steps to go to the opposite mode. That's how it worked in my case.

Similar issues with the intermittent beep here as well. Who knows where the piezo is mounted?

is the beep you are hearing a real beep, or the horn "chirping"?

Similar issues with the intermittent beep here as well. Who knows where the piezo is mounted?

It's inside the engine bay, driver side toward the firewall. It will probably be wrapped in some black foam tape.

is the beep you are hearing a real beep, or the horn "chirping"?

The beep I am hearing is the replacement piezo I got from radio shack. It is a high pitched beep. I have never heard what the stock piezo sounds like.

LOL nice. I remember seeing that video before now. I can't hear my radio shack beeper more than 10' away, so maybe I will go ahead and get a stock replacement. I will have to skip the train horns though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom