Builds Bear, My 200 Series Newbie Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. I started a build thread over on ExPo almost a month ago and I wanted to 'echo' that thread here on Mud. Much will be the same until I finish playing catch-up a little bit on Mud. Hope you enjoy!

I've been a ghost on Mud and ExPo for well over 3 years, and finally joined ExPo just over 2 years ago. I haven't really been much of a contributor, though I have PM'd with a few on here, and mostly used my countless hours of surfing ExPo to soak in the amazing wealth of information there is on here and a few other forums. That is going to change now. There are so many of you I have learned from, will be emulating, and have spoken to by now. I will try to note how I was able to get here and how each of you have helped. What I have come to learn is that this community is so tightly knit, most everyone has heard of or knows everyone else, and no matter what, everyone is always willing to take a phone call, meet up, or help however they can. This is also part of the reason I love this lifestyle so much, it is one of the few places in the world where you can still find this level of involvement and commitment. If I leave any of you out, I sincerely apologize for that oversight!

I have been into camping, hiking, etc. for many years. I have always wanted to start a build like the one I am about to share with you for some time. The ability to take off, go literally anywhere, and be self-sustained almost indefinitely has intrigued me since I was very young. I have finally decided to jump right in and go for it...well, that and it took several years of convincing my wife Lauren that all would be OK, and that we are only dipping our toe into what enjoying life really feels like.

It all started with Theron Humphrey's build thread of his FJ60 over on here. If you haven't seen it, or don't know of him, follow him on Instagram @thiswildidea...he does some pretty cool stuff. This wasn't nearly the first build thread I dove into, there was Paul May/Equipt1's 100 series thread, his 4R build, Kurt from CruiserOutfitters 100 series build and now his 200 series build, AdventureDriven's Lexy build, and many others had their part in my learning, interest, excitement...but something clicked with Theron's thread...Needless to say I was engulfed. I shared some of the captions and pictures with my wife, again slowly beginning the master plan, and Lauren started listening.

Next came finding Expedition Overland. These guys are amazing! I somehow came across their various build threads, their website: www.xoverland.com, and their SERIES!!!! If you haven't seen them, it is a MUST! I, of course, plugged my laptop into the tv to watch...Lauren was doing something and got curious passing by, she was hooked too. Watching the XO family and their adventures really helped us get serious about the potential for a build, what we would ultimately do to Bear (our 200 series), and where we would want to explore.

Why a 200 series, besides the fact that the truck has been used worldwide for decades as exploration and safari vehicles, there were a few other reasons. I have owned a 4R (V8), Tundra, and some other vehicles. With the 4R V8 option no longer being available and the supercharger not being available for the newer gen 4r's a bug reason was the engine. Where ever we might go, I wanted the capability to confidently climb high altitudes, fully loaded with little concern. Capacity, the 4R is a great chassis but I thought for the longterm that the Land Cruiser would be better suited for us, with potentially starting a family in the next year or so, gear, etc. Additionally, the materials used the build the 200 series are vastly higher quality than the 4R, and most other vehicles for that matter. Thus, we ended up purchasing Bear very lightly used (dealer demo) with about 8500 miles on it.

I will outline most of my build list in the next post, but some of my plans include a custom drawer system which I will build, OME suspension running 440lb springs in the front and 880b springs in the rear, full front back and underwear treatment (much more to come on this very soon), K9 roof rack, national luna fridge, clamshell storage for the 60% side of the middle row seats, IBS dual battery solution with a rear bluesea saftey hub for my rear cargo electrical distribution which I will install, and potentially a water system of some sort behind the drivers seat. I am sure much more will be added as we go like compressor, small inverter, hot water, etc. I am thinking this project will take me about 12-18 months to complete.

I do want to preface this build thread by stating that I am not mechanically inclined, I do not know that much about electrical, nor woodworking - but with the help of many, and Google at our fingertips, I have been able to learn a lot which has led me to this point. I know there are more and more aftermarket accessories, drawers, etc. available in the market today, but there is something about having a slight hand in actually building your vehicle..you are emotionally invested, part of you is in it. So here we go...this build has been a long time coming and I am excited to share it with you. I put this plan together to suite my needs, which won't be everyone's needs, but it works for me..I am just hoping that someone takes a little away, or sparks an idea, like so many threads have done on here for me....Also, I do tend to over analyze things and take my time with them so the progress of this build may be a little slow for some.

Sorry for the novel, wanted to provide some background....On to the FUN!

Below are some pictures of when we brought her home:

thumb_IMG_4435_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4436_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4437_1024.jpg

So I thought I would provide everyone with a list of current/upcoming projects for Bear. I am sure more will be added and some may change but this is the current build plan:

• OME Suspension with Spidertax spacers (Purchased & Installed)
  • Custom Built Drawer System (Built & Installed) - More coming very soon in this thread on the completion of the drawers
  • Clearview Accessories Easy Slide Drop-down Fridge Slide from Australia to fit a National Luna 90L fridge (Purchased and awainting install) - Let me know if anyone is interested in these, they have various sizes and I may be thinking about bringing them to the US
  • IBS Dual Battery System (Purchased)
  • Slee Battery Tray for the 200 Series - Primary Group 31 (Purchased)
  • CBI Custom Group 31 Battery Tray for secondary battery (Purchased)
  • Odyssey Group 31 Main & Group 35 Aux
  • BlueSea Saftey 150 Hub for rear electrical distribution (Purchased)
  • Wiring, Switches, Plugs for rear electrical (Purchased)
  • National Luna 90L Fridge
  • K9 Roof Rack
  • sPOD LED setup for all lighting and communications (Purchased and awaiting install at CBI Offroad)
  • Various Rigid Dually D2's and E2 Lightbar (purchased D2's and waiting on E2 30" lightbar)
  • 305/65R18 BFG KO2's (Purchased & Installed)
  • CBI Offroad Front Bumper (CBI will start in a few days!)
  • Warn Endurance 12K Winch with Synthetic Rope (Purchased - CBI to install)
  • CBI Offroad Rear Bumper and swingouts (CBI will start in a few days!)
  • CBI Offroad full skidplates (CBI will start in a few days!)
  • CBI Offroad sidesteps/rock sliders (CBI will start in a few days!)
  • CBI Offroad Auxillary Fuel Tank - Feeder setup (CBI will start in a few days!)
  • Rooftop Tent - Tepui Gran Sabana Ruggedized (Secured and awaiting arrival)
  • Alu-Box 81L on top
  • Frontrunner 67L or 60L water tank with custom pump and fittings for install in front of future clamshell storage center floor of truck
  • Awning - potentially an Ostrich Wing from South Africa - more information here
  • Communications 2M - not decided yet
  • Custom Built Barrier for rear cargo - potential order coming from South Africa

I am very interested in the aux tank!

I am very interested in the aux tank!

Meeeee Tooooooooooo. Auxiliary tank details? ;)

We are still working through the details of the Aux tank. I spoke with Steve, CBI's Lead Fab, extensively this morning about it. Living in CA introduces some SERIOUS restrictions on what is possible, well that the states laws will allow... :deadhorse: I originally wanted a true aux fuel set-up where I could transfer on the fly but emissions have been tied to the EVAP sensors and pressure cap sensors that could throw codes and pose some complex issues. I then wanted to be able to separate the dual filler neck and simply pump and dump into the OEM fuel filler neck, this also posed issues (in California) as they could deem your rig off-road or closed course only.

I think what we are going to do is to create a 25-30 gallon transfer tank where the spare tire is located. I had discussed the thought of using a shaker siphon to transfer without the need of an electrical fuel pump, adding things that can break, but that is a no-go to due stupid gravitational pull issues - trust me, I spent the weekend completing science projects with water and gallon jars at 50 different levels, it won't work. I will keep the shaker siphon as a backup. What we will do is plum the transfer tank to a fuel pump, and potentially put a disconnect by the OEM fuel cap to plug a hose in when needing to transfer and call it done.

Does this provide an on-the-fly solution? No. But if I am driving on the highway I will get around 250 miles of range. I will stop anyway between 2.75-3.25 hours of driving so I can easily take a few minutes to transfer fuel when needed. If I am on the trail, it will be very easy for me to stop for a few and transfer, so the need for me to really be able to transfer on-the-fly, isn't a need at all. What this does is provide a great way to carry nearly 6 Jerry cans of fuel in between the chassis, low center of gravity, and protected. I will use the remaining Jerry mounts on the swing arm for water, etc.

I heard ARB had aux fuel tanks on display at SEMA (can anyone confirm?). Don't know if they're planning on a more concerted effort to bring them stateside...

I heard ARB had aux fuel tanks on display at SEMA (can anyone confirm?). Don't know if they're planning on a more concerted effort to bring them stateside...
That would be great and am sure it would get a lot of attention, though they would need to do a lot of collaboration with DOT and local state emissions committees.

Removal of the rear seats was cake - 4 bolts on each of the 3rd row seats after removing the plastics and viola, out they come. I thought I had taken some pictures of actually removing the seats but apparently I did not... again, my ability to remember to take photos along the way has also increased.

Here is a picture of how much room the 200 series has, middle row tumbled:
thumb_IMG_4440_1024.jpg

I used cardboard to make a template of what I was thinking - width, depth, height wise. I also sketched out several build plans for my drawer system but I believe they were misplaced in the move.

thumb_IMG_4441_1024.jpg

And starting to build the carcass of the drawers. I used 3/4" Baltic Birch Ply for the Carcass, center support, and wings, and will use 1/2" birch for the drawers themselves.

thumb_IMG_4477_1024.jpg

Welcome. I would like to see what you come up with on the Fuel tank as well. CBI builds some nice stuff. I have been looking at one of their rear bumpers for my daughters 4runner, but then I thought she is 28 now and can buy her own.

Welcome. I would like to see what you come up with on the Fuel tank as well. CBI builds some nice stuff. I have been looking at one of their rear bumpers for my daughters 4runner, but then I thought she is 28 now and can buy her own.

Thanks, Ken! They do, and they will be manufacturing most of what you will see on my rig for 200 series owners. Feel free to give Nathan a call over there as he will be putting together for a timeline to production, pricing, etc. in the coming weeks.

Haha, yep, probably the same thoughts I would have! The T4R bumpers are great though!

I can't wait to see the drawers you build. I have been thinking I might give it a try. All of the drawer systems out there are expensive and seem pretty straight forward.

I can't wait to see the drawers you build. I have been thinking I might give it a try. All of the drawer systems out there are expensive and seem pretty straight forward.
Coming very shortly. I will try to post most of them up today for you.

I measured four times for every cut, predrilled, and glued/screwed everything. Looking back, a definitely not needed add on were the metal L brackets I used on the inside 90's and up the spine of the carcass... oh well, when I do this again in years to come I will remember that...

thumb_IMG_4478_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4481_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4482_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4484_1024.jpg

In the middle of building my drawers our landlord had decided it was time to raise the rent. We had been there for 3 years but a rent increase of over 30% was not justifiable, and we received the notice in early November no less. Our landlord was phenomenal but we simply decided to find another place that would be a more even commute for my wife and I...a 30% hike with Bay Area rents which are already astronomical, time to go.

This put a damper on my drawer build for about 3 months, with finding a place taking priority, packing the house and moving ourselves, it was a tall enough task. Then finding our way through the boxes and putting the new house together took another month.

Anyway the holidays came and went, we brought 2016 in with a trip to Lincoln City, OR and stayed right on the beach at this awesome house. Here are some pictures, it was nice the first day then dropped to low 30's and low 20's with the windchill factor:

thumb_IMG_4724_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4727_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4733_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4746_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4753_1024.jpg

I measured four times for every cut, predrilled, and glued/screwed everything. Looking back, a definitely not needed add on were the metal L brackets I used on the inside 90's and up the spine of the carcass... oh well, when I do this again in years to come I will remember that...

View attachment 1225525 View attachment 1225526 View attachment 1225527 View attachment 1225528

Drawers are looking great! I'm taking notes from your build as are many others, and I wondered if doing it over you'd use pocket holes instead of the L brackets? I know pocket holes, when done properly, are fairly strong and flush/outta sight. I wasn't sure if your comment about the L's not necessary was due to excessive re-enforcement or if they caused a physical interference with slides/upholstery?

Anyway, nice build!

Ok, so this is pretty much where I left off. You can kind of see the bottom half of the carcass under the moving blankets:
thumb_IMG_4876_1024.jpg

When I finally go the time, I measured the the top of the drawer system with a slight (3") overhang on the passenger side. This will be so that I can bolt the drop-down fridge slide I got from Australia further to the right so it doesn't take up the complete cargo area. Disregard the driver side overhang, that will be made into one of the wings.

thumb_IMG_4885_1024.jpg

Drawer slide time. I had purchased a few sets of Accuride slides from Allegis 9308's combined with 9301's. I got two sets of 40" slides and on set of 36" slides.

thumb_IMG_4888_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4891_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4892_1024.jpg

The slides are rated for 500lbs, approximately 300lbs in a mobile setup. They are heavy duty and you can tell! Very happy with these slides and I highly recommend them.

Drawers are looking great! I'm taking notes from your build as are many others, and I wondered if doing it over you'd use pocket holes instead of the L brackets? I know pocket holes, when done properly, are fairly strong and flush/outta sight. I wasn't sure if your comment about the L's not necessary was due to excessive re-enforcement or if they caused a physical interference with slides/upholstery?

Anyway, nice build!

Thanks Kevin! I actually thought about this for a while. Having the right tools would have made this drawer build 60% easier to be honest. I think the L brackets are easy and do provide added rigidity in the carcass. Can you get away without them, absolutely, but I wanted this to last for 5-10 years, or until my list of changes gets large enough to justify building another set of them :)

Pocket screws for the face frame or cutting Dados with a router or table saw for the carcass box are also very good options, it's all about what you have (tools and skills) that will lead you to the right path/method.

For me, I didn't want to spend $300-400 for a decent table saw. would I have loved it, yes. Is it now on my list to purchase in the coming years, yes. :)

With all the glue, countersink, and screws I used, I do not have any concern with strength and durability. The brackets do not interfere with the slides or anything else. I did end up removing the brackets on the outside of the carcass which you will see in the coming posts.

In the middle of building my drawers our landlord had decided it was time to raise the rent. We had been there for 3 years but a rent increase of over 30% was not justifiable, and we received the notice in early November no less. Our landlord was phenomenal but we simply decided to find another place that would be a more even commute for my wife and I...a 30% hike with Bay Area rents which are already astronomical, time to go.

This put a damper on my drawer build for about 3 months, with finding a place taking priority, packing the house and moving ourselves, it was a tall enough task. Then finding our way through the boxes and putting the new house together took another month.

Anyway the holidays came and went, we brought 2016 in with a trip to Lincoln City, OR and stayed right on the beach at this awesome house. Here are some pictures, it was nice the first day then dropped to low 30's and low 20's with the windchill factor:

View attachment 1225530 View attachment 1225531 View attachment 1225532 View attachment 1225534 View attachment 1225535
Lincoln City is a super cool little town! Cool build man!

Excellent work right there! I am in the Bay Area too so if you need an extra hand (to hand you the cold bear) do give me a shout!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom