Ostrich Wing Awning - Any Experience? (1 Viewer)

Would you be interested in seeing this awning brought to the US?

• Yes

Votes: 51 96.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, newer to Ih8mud but have been posting my build thread on ExPo. Thinking about posting a build thread on Ih8mud as well.

To the point, I have been looking at different awnings for some time now. There are some fantastic awnings out there like Eezi-Awn and Alu-Cab but they are very expensive. I would like the ability to pull over and deploy without the need of support legs for a quick bite, but also like the flexibility to put awning walls up and use the Awning as an additional sleeping area if needed.

After many searches, I came across the Ostrich Wing awning which is out of South Africa. The build quality looks great, the coverage area is one of the largest, and the price is not too bad. Looking at approximately $1050 shipped to the US and approximately $1550 for the awning with the walls and additional support poles, shipped.

Have any of you had any experience with Ostrich Wing?

20140607164705-300x174.jpg

Awning open.jpg

Corner Mounting.jpg

Frame.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

Thanks for voting everyone, please continue to vote whether you would like to see the awning brought to the US/Canada for availability or not. I have spoken with several folks in Australia who have one or have used one and they all say it is the way to go. I am trying to judge whether there will be interest here or not.

Thanks again.

how much does it weigh?
what kind of wind speed does it handle before you have to tether it down?
can you post the dimensions of it packed up and deployed?

what is the lead time? is the fabric water proof? UV coated? Can you put a sunroof clear panel in a section of it for a skylight?

are the mounting points fixed, or can they slide to match my rack towers?

looks awesome, send me the truck with it!

how much does it weigh?
what kind of wind speed does it handle before you have to tether it down?
can you post the dimensions of it packed up and deployed?

what is the lead time? is the fabric water proof? UV coated? Can you put a sunroof clear panel in a section of it for a skylight?

are the mounting points fixed, or can they slide to match my rack towers?

looks awesome, send me the truck with it!

Hi PabloVTA,

Weight: 28kg | 62lbs Size: 270 X 23 X 22cm | 106.2" X 9" X 8.6" inches

Material: Canvas: 360gsm rip-block, UV Resistant and Rot proof

I seriously doubt that the warranty would be honored if you put a sunroof panel in the material.

Straight from their website:

Made from 360gsm rip-block canvas supported by a number of aluminium frames, this product will provide you with 11sqm of shade in less than 30 seconds. It only takes one person to open it up and it can be used without support poles.

The aluminium frames are built from purpose made extrusions, constructed in a “truss” design and pivoted on nylon bushes to provide unmatched sturdiness.

Side panels and additional support poles are available. Panels can be bought in a kit or separately. The panel kit consists of a “door” panel, 2x “window” panels and a “plain” panel. Panels attach to the main awning with a Vislon zip and can be fitted in any position.

An LED light kit is also available to fit to the frame.

In conditions of mild wind, this product is suitable to be used without any down-pole support. However, should the wind become gusty additional precautions should be taken (deploy the single pole provided, fit a further 2 poles, tie the frame down using the eyelets provided). Should poor conditions prevail then it is best to be safe and pack the awning away. DO NOT go to bed and leave the awning open as weather conditions can change very quickly.

Here is the installation guide

CAD1.jpg
CAD2.jpg
Dimensions Picture.jpg

Hi All, newer to Ih8mud but have been posting my build thread on ExPo. Thinking about posting a build thread on Ih8mud as well.

To the point, I have been looking at different awnings for some time now. There are some fantastic awnings out there like Eezi-Awn and Alu-Cab but they are very expensive. I would like the ability to pull over and deploy without the need of support legs for a quick bite, but also like the flexibility to put awning walls up and use the Awning as an additional sleeping area if needed.

After many searches, I came across the Ostrich Wing awning which is out of South Africa. The build quality looks great, the coverage area is one of the largest, and the price is not too bad. Looking at approximately $1050 shipped to the US and approximately $1550 for the awning with the walls and additional support poles, shipped.

Have any of you had any experience with Ostrich Wing?

View attachment 1225031

View attachment 1225032

View attachment 1225033

View attachment 1225034

View attachment 1225035

My question is... Can it auto-deploy...so that if you drive off a cliff...you can use it as a parachute.

Holy smokes that things like a pop-up gymnasium! ;)

Hahaha, it might, depends on the speed entering the cliff drop-off.. if you hit 80mph it may. It does provide a lot of space :)

I currently have the 8' fiamma F35 Pro on my rack and would be be interested in this awning. Seen some videos and they look pretty sharp. I haven't had any issues with my current awning hanging forward due to its length. I like the extra coverage it provides.

Do they offer it in a smaller size? At 2.7M long that is a couple feet longer than the roof lone of my 80. 2 meters is about perfect for most wagons. That one would be great on a Troopie or full sized Van.
They don't offer anything smaller at the moment. Though, for a wrap around I am not sure I would want anything smaller. I would look at Eezi-awn bat or manta offerings.

I currently have the 8' fiamma F35 Pro on my rack and would be be interested in this awning. Seen some videos and they look pretty sharp. I haven't had any issues with my current awning hanging forward due to its length. I like the extra coverage it provides.
Thanks, Salue. I will be working with them to try to bring them to the states in the coming months.

How much does it weigh? Is it a one person operation?

How much does it weigh? Is it a one person operation?

Most of the info is about 8 posts above. I have requested a video to show the operation but it is definitely a one person operation and very easy to deploy as well as fold away.

My question is... Can it auto-deploy...so that if you drive off a cliff...you can use it as a parachute.

Holy smokes that things like a pop-up gymnasium! ;)
You can now hang glide with your truck

Yep, or you can have plenty of shade on a hot day in the desert, fit more campers under the stars in the mountains, and literally have a spare room with the awning walls up to get out of the wind and cold while having a small propane campfire inside roasting marshmallows or a good steak. :) just sayin'. All for similar weight and decent pricing compared to options available.

I've been looking at the Foxwing, but this looks sturdier. The walls and poles for the annex look sturdier also. Kinda pricey, but looks to be well designed & built. Please keep us informed.
Absolutely. This awning is much sturdier than many others, not needing to deploy support poles at all if the winds are calm. You can also add support poles (which come with the awning walls package) to ensure everything stays tight and tidy in windier conditions.

I have heard from several folks on this forum and others, of having their awning blow away with gusts of wind. I do not want to deal with that worry hence my wanting to import something that is quality yet more affordable than the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom