Builds Barn Find 1983 FJ45 Troopcarrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Headlights prepared for final assembly.

022AA931-1F5D-4315-9DFA-1CF5DB3282B8.jpeg

0F6984F7-3170-428E-9AF1-55B3DC2DB1DE.jpeg

FDE9A8D7-3CB0-4D65-9DA7-424E0A437267.jpeg

Wow, looks showroom fresh man.... Great freaking job!

D

Amazing experience today at Autocool in East-Perth!
These guys been in business when the Nippondenso a/c were installed by the dealerships.. in fact not by the dealership but by one of three subcontractors them back in the day, Mike says.
Today morning I came here to have my a/c re-gassed, they pressure tested the compressor 6 months ago and they managed to find me an original nos clutch assy for it.
The owner Mike after admiring the final stage of the resto, suddenly walked back in the office and came out with these genuine original document stickers ... I was totally blown away... A hughe thank you for you guys.. this is an unreal experience...

5716C612-4079-4B16-95AD-138086F6FF10.jpeg

21C200BE-6576-4CE8-9768-8D64A8920582.jpeg

33B2A1AF-3867-4755-8216-8B1772F41D1C.jpeg

Last edited:
Fine somebody to duplicate those before you fit them. :hmm:

The kneefreezer is running perfectly. I never knew how this will exactly work in concert with the Idle Up control. Maybe others know, maybe not everyone so this is what it does... You have the - FSM calls it - Amplifier or a/c control unit on with both of the two slider adjustment switches for temp and fan turned on.
Then before that, you had switched on the Idle Up at among the dash control buttons. The compressor then turns on just in a few seconds right after the idle up mechanism rews up the engine. Its an electric driven governor for the need increased output Or under load. Running the comp pulley is that load. The lower end of the rew range for the compressor to turn can be set by the screw on the side of the control box with a fine screwdriver. This will also allow some fuel economy settings or engine performance as, you may adjust your a/c to turn on only at certain rews are a set. [great little features] for example if your rew is set high it will economise to idle up later for light load conditions but if your next camping trip the troopy will carry more passengers, maybe towing etc then wind down the rew so the idle up will kick in early and the a/c will provide the same cold under excessively loaded engine conditions too.
The evaporators unit fan will run irrespective of the a/c comp but not the other way around.
This complete system of Denso Air is another facinating marvel looking at early analog programming topped with some engineering marvels of running the Idle Up function at the carburettor.
This is one of the problems of aftermarket or non-complete a/c installations when running the a/c will equate to loss of engine performance or even lead to overheating issues.
There is a secondary vsv controlled diaphragm similar to the fast idle control assy at the front it is only at the back of the carby. The fast idle is adjusting the top jet and venturi while the a/c Idle Up is adjusting the bottom butterfly valve with the side jet at the bottom slice of the carby “sandwitch”. Ah, and before I forget there is another switch a simple pressure control so the entire sys will only run when adequately regassed.
We had to add 70ml oil to the gas that is the amount of stock requirement if a/c newly installed.
Anyway, it may sound a bit messy but its running in perfect order. I had this early Denso a/c in my HJ47 but diesels are slightly different. Those need no idle up like the petrols and of course non of the vsv and etc are on them.

Last edited:
OCD alert. You may want to double check the bezel color. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it appears to be pure white. OEM color is more like cream / green.
Its the photo.. the bezel and the roof are both Cygnus White T012, you’re right its a lot of other colours in that white. Green, yellow, gray, cream,

F26DCACF-FCD3-4CC9-89E8-F9FE34AF63AA.jpeg

CA4585BD-0965-4277-BB4A-A258AC8E766D.jpeg

AF769A33-3748-46B3-9428-156BC0AA21A4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom