Builds Barn Find 1983 FJ45 Troopcarrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...and there were this old shed in the back of a family home..
There I found this 1983/01 Troopy with genuine 138,000km (85,700 miles)in the clock. The first and only private owner bought it from South Australia's Forestry Emergency Dept. in 2003. It was parked the following year in 2004 after taking the family with it on a holiday trip to Flinders Chase National Park at Kangaroo Island, SA.
Totally genuine, all complete and featuring a denso knee freezing aircon.
Its 4spd only.
I would like to see the troopy fully restored and I even considered shipping her to reputable restorers however I'm more and more inclined to do it myself.
I'd be happy to hear your opinions even though I'm pretty keen on doing the resto alone, slowly and extremly precisely. Enjoy the first photos and let me know what are your first impressions.. Thanks!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great Find !!!

Im agree with @Racer65, keeping it original is special

First get it on the road again, drive it, enjoy it, and then see what you want to do with it.

:cheers:

Very nice.....^^^ agreed! It's only original once... Spend the cash on maintenance.
Can we get more pictures.

Thank you for your notes. Well keeping it original is truly one option that one would never regret. if I had it restored I probably wouldn't like to take it out much especially not off road.
I could clean it up, touch up the rusty areas (hardly any) and continue giving it a good maintenance.
Hmm.. Decisions, decisions
Anyway, adding to genuinity and historic correctness pls see images of all original booklets, manual, warranty.
Also I have a photo of the AU roadworthy plate showing date of manufacture.
I will continue to post more specific photos of various areas open for discussion.
Thanks again for your ideas!
Keep Safe, A

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

thats killer....... the AU VIN plate says Land Cruiser Bus :)

what a great find, most the troopies are used up. I wouldn't restore it unless there is a ton of rust I don't see

What a find! If it were mine, I would not restore it. I'd give it an once over maintenance and keep everything as original as possible.

Agree - they are only original once. Something that tidy looks far better as it is, rather than 'semi restored'.

I'd refurb the mechanicals as needed, maybe replace a few 'bolt on' parts here and there with OEM, and enjoy!

Arrived.. very unfortunately it was painted white. Simply brushed over the oem beige paint. The body is great shape nearly no rust anywhere. All doors and tub is healthy metal.
I guess I will not be able to remove the overpaint without damaging the original under paint. Interior is as good as it gets. Its a fairly easy cabin. Seats need re-trim. Dash ok, clocks ok, ..
Mechanically can't comment yet as it hasn't been started yet.
The exhaust header is changed to aftermarket exhauster and the entire exhaust system is thrown away to fit lpg tank. The spare wheel lowering mechanism is missing too. They fitted a 40 series spare wheel carrier to the back. Barbaric drill through the doors!!!
The back doors are fixed with garden gate hinges behind the swing carrier's door.
Rear seats in good condition. Roof lining is in good condition.
I'm more and more inclined towards a full chassis up resto.

IMG_6138.JPG

IMG_6128.JPG

IMG_6139.JPG

IMG_6129.JPG

You might try a pressure washer on the white paint to get it loose... Or there is a product called aircraft stripper that works pretty good at taking off spray paint overspray that might work as well.

You might try a pressure washer on the white paint to get it loose... Or there is a product called aircraft stripper that works pretty good at taking off spray paint overspray that might work as well.
Sounds like a good idea, i thought of pressure cleaning too. What exactly that other stuff you say? Maybe we dont have it. In aussie only the government got airplanes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom