August Hurricane Creek Trip (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The June trip was a blast. Water was lower and trails were much drier than last year but that could all change with a good thunderstorm. Looks like they hit a few spots again with a dozer blade but it was very similar to last year without the abandoned car and local fisherman parked in the middle of the trail. The weather was awesome and the wildlife put on another show for us; hope you guys get to enjoy the same. Just watch out for the killer trees.

Also if time allows fri am or sun am the trip over to buzzards roost was worth the drive View attachment 906155View attachment 906156 View attachment 906157

Whoa. You got a pic of a Canis Catahoulus Brodus in the wild? Awesome!

Ha. Yup. Here is the rare and unusual multi beast in his natural habitat
image.jpg

Also if time allows fri am or sun am the trip over to buzzards roost was worth the drive

Glad you and Brodie (and Alex?) had a great trip.

I definitely want to make it to Buzzard's Roost. Assuming Brian is going to hook up wiht the August trip, please PM me and Brian with details on how to get there.

I never did find my screen shot maps from the last trip, Jason. Sorry for not letting you know before hand. I have some information on Buzzard's Roost, and it really just slipped my mind on the last trip. We didn't hit it up on the scouting trip either. It's definitely a hike up....

Looks like Dave is feeling pretty good about the Crockpot. That's good because someone was gonna have to tell him he couldn't take his Wriggler. :moon:

Any thoughts on what we're gonna do to accommodate more than 6 trucks? Break into 2 groups a couple hours apart?

I'd like to fish in a real stream this time (not that terrible 'lake'). I think I remember that one of our camp sites last year (near the water crossing, on day 2) led to a good looking stream that I didn't notice till it was cat hole time. Then I was too angry to fish after having to go back a suitable distance from the water to dig my hole.

Maybe anybody who wants to find fish can be the "B" group to lower our caravan number. Hafta look at a map to plan this one. Thoughts?

just a note for those going. We saw bears last year. Two weekends ago I saw a bear heading out of max patch towards hot springs and just this past weekend I saw another on richland rd. Each time they have run from the truck a safe distance, turned and watched. Point is they are out there and it would be wise to store your food in an appropriate manner. I think i was guilty of putting the cooler on my roof last year just to keep the midget bears out. As well there was one healthy copperhead spotted. Just make sure everyone has a fun and Safe trip.

John. Remember some of those are TN waters as well for license The campspot we scored last year where you fixed your brake pad indicator and we had a good swimming hole looked to be good for fishing. Depending on the route used, you may be able to shortcut to it early and claim the spot and fish while awaiting arrival of others. Or possibly a few could stop at a pulloff spot on hurricane ck to fish for an hour and then meet up with the group at max patch (about an hour climb up and back)

However that spot earlier this month had a pop up camper and tarp city in it with a dozen kids riding bikes and jumping rope. Looked like they had been there for a while. Hope you guys do better. However the bees nest is gone over by the killer trees spot.

Ah, yes, TN license required. Now I remember why I held off - didn't you have a recent Fish & Game Officer encounter somewhere just prior to the trip? I figured you were cursed and I didn't want Murphy to show up.

TN didn't sell licenses online to out of staters last year. That was what screwed me. Didn't want to leave the group and wander around looking for a store to buy one. I'll look into it again and let everyone know what I find.

just a note for those going. We saw bears last year. Two weekends ago I saw a bear heading out of max patch towards hot springs and just this past weekend I saw another on richland rd. Each time they have run from the truck a safe distance, turned and watched. Point is they are out there and it would be wise to store your food in an appropriate manner. I think i was guilty of putting the cooler on my roof last year just to keep the midget bears out. As well there was one healthy copperhead spotted. Just make sure everyone has a fun and Safe trip.

John. Remember some of those are TN waters as well for license The campspot we scored last year where you fixed your brake pad indicator and we had a good swimming hole looked to be good for fishing. Depending on the route used, you may be able to shortcut to it early and claim the spot and fish while awaiting arrival of others. Or possibly a few could stop at a pulloff spot on hurricane ck to fish for an hour and then meet up with the group at max patch (about an hour climb up and back)

However that spot earlier this month had a pop up camper and tarp city in it with a dozen kids riding bikes and jumping rope. Looked like they had been there for a while. Hope you guys do better. However the bees nest is gone over by the killer trees spot.

Not sure if we are talking about the same Richland rd or not, but spent this past weekend in blowing rock and saw came across a momma bear and her two cubs while riding the Richland rd trail. That was the first time I have ever seen a bear in NC in the wild. Brought me back to the days when I lived in BC.

BTW can't wait for this trip.

Same road thanks to your post. I had signal on the parkway and looked up the thread. Didnt realize you were up there last weekend, thought the thread was about the one before that. I only saw one other vehicle but also did some backtracking.

Bears were actually west of 321 on fsr 4110-4111 and for as much time as I've spent in the mountains really last two years have been first bears Ive come across.

Hi David,
I am interested in going. Can you add me to the "wait" list in case someone drops out?

What's the word on this? Would this be per truck or per person?

JohnVee - Thanks for the friendly reminider. I'll want to confirm with Brian but I am quite certain that it is $20 is per truck. We'll be sure to cover this in the next email to those on the list but in short, plan on bringing $20 in singles.

Hi David,
I am interested in going. Can you add me to the "wait" list in case someone drops out?
Clint - Great to hear from you! I'm quite sure there is a spot for you. Please PM me your email address and I'll fill you in.

Heading out Friday. Plans are finalized, and we've got a great group going! See all of you in Asheville on Friday!

Finally packed and ready to go.

Nathan and I just got in an hour ago. The Crockpot blew the head gasket about 8 miles from home on the way back. It started running hot so I pulled it over and let it cool down. Re-filled rad with water and made it a few miles before it got hot again. No leaks anywhere that I can find. Truck still runs fine. I'm sure it's the gasket. Probably exhaust getting into the water jacket. I'll look into it later this week. Nathan and I had sooo much fun. It truly was an epic trip with good wheeling, scenic views, great folks and even a black bear encounter. Thanks ONSC for making this a trip we won't forget!

Nathan and Dave Rushing

...via IH8MUD app

I'm not sure how folks in the club typically share their pics. I posted a few on FB and I have a ton more on my PC. Let me know if you want more. Here are a few:

Hurricane Creek 2014 14.jpg

Hurricane Creek 2014 17.jpg

Hurricane Creek 2014 2.jpg

Hurricane Creek 2014 7.jpg

Hurricane Creek 2014 13.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom