Are all 40 series transfer cases compatible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day.
Recently I bought an 82 HJ47 Landcruiser, my second 40 series cruiser.

The transfer case is rooted and now the outputs shaft flops around like nothing else and the only gear that goes in is 4L (they go in but they grind and do all sorts of s***. Also the case itslef is cracked.)

I bought a new gearbox with the transfer case, but because it was pretty cheap I got a bit ahead of myself.

The one I bought has a 10 spline t-case output shaft/hamdbrake drum. where as the output shaft/handbrake drum on my ute's t-case is 19 spline. Does this mean they are not compatible?

If not what do I need to look for?

You will need a Split case type transfer case from either a FJ45 or a HJ47 from 1980 -1984.

Last edited:
You will need a Split case type transfer case from either a FJ45 or a HJ47 from 1979 -1984.

1981-1984

You’ll want to stick with one sourced from an HJ47 or be prepared to source (or swap your existing) parking brake components.

1981-1984

You’ll want to stick with one sourced from an HJ47 or be prepared to source (or swap your existing) parking brake components.

I Know 10/82 and later should have the provision for a fifth gear oiler but what is the deal with the holes on the bottom. Haven't got that straight yet. Also the H55 was used until 10/99 in the 70 series. Is it possible to use a split case out of one of those and rebuild it using the hand brake parts from the current one from the 82. Believe the spline count stayed at 19. Unless you replace the transmission and transfer case as a set your taking apart the split case anyway. I know different transmissions had different gearing in the transfer case and the idler shaft went from 34MM to 38MM so best to use the gears from the case your installing. Only other thing I can think of is use the front driveshaft flange from the 82 if the new case doesn't match the bolt pattern.

Did US market FJ's of that era have the split case with the hand brake?

This was a model thing not market. The LWB got a hand brake on the split transfer case pretty much on all markets on the HJ47 and 8/80+ FJ45. The US did not get any LWB 4X series after 67.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom