ARB Bumper Differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since there is not a thread specifically about the differences between the ARB bumpers for the 100, I decided to make one.

Hopefully we can come to some conclusion about which one of the ARB bumpers is the best one to get.

Here is what I know about them:
98-02 ARB Combo Bar uses a winch cradle and accepts a M12000
98-02 ARB Sahara Bar uses a winch cradle and accepts a XD9000

03+ Combo Bar mounts to the face and accepts a M12000
03+ Sahara Bar mounts to the face and accepts a M12000

From what I have read:
  • The wings on the 03+ bars are stronger
  • The 03+ combo has fog light and highlift mounts, the 98-02 combo does NOT
  • The 98-02 don't suffer from droop due to the weight of the winch NOT being on the accordion mounts
  • ALL THE ARB BUMPERS FIT ANY YEAR 100 SERIES LC OR LX (with very minor mods;))
Hopefully Slee, Shotts, 1Loudlx, and all the other ARB Bumper owners can chime in with their experiences and pictures of their mounting systems. I think the more the pictures there are, the more useful this thread will be for those who have not gotten their bumpers yet.

One more thing, try and keep it ARB specific.

The whole idea of 'Crush Cans' in the bumper system is ridiculous. Those accordian pieces can be taken out and the bumper fit with other stronger pieces as needed to prevent the droop, sag or whatever. I don't own one YET, but when I do I can assure you no Crush Cans will go in. Land Cruisers use inertia sensors from what I have been told, so the idea of the impact itself causing the airbags to deploy would be false.

The whole idea of 'Crush Cans' in the bumper system is ridiculous. Those accordian pieces can be taken out and the bumper fit with other stronger pieces as needed to prevent the droop, sag or whatever. I don't own one YET, but when I do I can assure you no Crush Cans will go in. Land Cruisers use inertia sensors from what I have been told, so the idea of the impact itself causing the airbags to deploy would be false.

If you were ARB and wanted your bumper airbag compatible within the US, you probably wouldn't find them so ridiculous. Also, not having them would mean that any serious blunt force applied to the bumper would xfer straight into the frame of the truck. With the crush zones, there's a buffer there to absorb the energy from an impact. I would much rather replace the crush zones or bumper than 2 airbags, or worse - straighten a frame.

LC's do use inertia sensors and Toyota has been criticized that their sensors may be dialed up too much (re: Camry's going under semis and no airbag pop). So, you'd have to factor in whatever force "x" is required for the airbags to deploy and subtract out the "y" force that it takes to crush the accordians. It may be a marginal difference, but it's there.

pman - there was a recent thread about new, cheaper lights ARB was using for the fog kits.

Since you find so much fault with my opinion, just delete my post and I'll keep my opinions to myself then.

Crush cans are designed to crush and take impact, much like a mercedes car is designed to accordian. Talking strictly about off road applications here where minimal impact under 5mph is concerned, I think it's safe to say the Crush Cans are not needed. If you're on road 99% of the time and don't care about bumper sag etc, put them in if it makes you feel safer.

Since you find so much fault with my opinion, just delete my post and I'll keep my opinions to myself then.

You put up your opinion, I put up mine - no reason to get all butt hurt.

Back on topic, can someone post up a pic of the moulding ARB uses with the Sahara bar to fill the gap between the body and bumper? Preferably off truck/cross section type of thing. If it looks like an easy to find item or could be replaced with something similar, it could be something the commercial bar owners who don't want that gap could use.

Trunk reminded me of something that is one issue I personally would like clarified. The Sahara bars are obviously less popular than the Combo bars, and I understand the attraction to the combo bars. However, I personally like the sahara for the LX and the combo for the LCs, but since I have a LX I want to get a sahara bar.

Anyone got any idea which is better 98-02 or 03+

Also Greg B posted this pick of the winch cradle for a 98-02 combo bar winch cradle in an other thread. Does someone have the 03+? Sahara Mounts?
ARB Bumper Install 2.jpg

Crush cans are designed to crush and take impact, much like a mercedes car is designed to accordian. Talking strictly about off road applications here where minimal impact under 5mph is concerned, I think it's safe to say the Crush Cans are not needed. If you're on road 99% of the time and don't care about bumper sag etc, put them in if it makes you feel safer.

When I eventually get mine, I'm leaving the crush cans in because unfortunately I have to do a bit of highway travel just to get to my off road destination...why Illinois, WHY!? 'coz we have the best pizzas and hot dogs and polish sausages!
*ahem* back on topic.

For FAQ purposes...
arb.jpg

Hoser, I noticed that the picture you posted has a discrepancy for winch compatibility on the Sahara bars. Can anyone clear it up?
arb.jpg

What is the difference in appearance?

• ALL THE ARB BUMPERS FIT ANY YEAR 100 SERIES LC OR LX (with very minor mods;))
That'd be correct, the combo bars will need the CB tabs cut off on top of the bull bar to fit a LX470. Reason? Well unless you feel like taking the front bumper off every time you want to open the hood, I'd cut them off.

pman - there was a recent thread about new, cheaper lights ARB was using for the fog kits.

Also apparently the whole plastic insert is different too, not allowing the old IPF ones to fit on the newer model.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...nstallation-directions-arb-fog-light-kit.html

Another point on LC vs. LX - LX owners loose the top bar tabs to clear the one piece grill and hood.

correct, on the Combo only of course.

When I eventually get mine, I'm leaving the crush cans in because unfortunately I have to do a bit of highway travel just to get to my off road destination...why Illinois, WHY!? 'coz we have the best pizzas and hot dogs and polish sausages!
*ahem* back on topic.

Bull****, New York has better pizza :flipoff2:
What is the difference in appearance?

I'm going to run to the grocery store (no not in the 100), get some food and I'll be back. I'm going to post pictures of both versions of the combo bar. Zane, Fish2live, shotts, even christo's white LX470 are good examples of the sahara setups.

Hmmmm maybe this is why my wife's airbags didn't deploy when she was hit head on. The LC sustained $8500 in damage, and the other car (ford focus) was totalled.

[/LIST]
That'd be correct, the combo bars will need the CB tabs cut off on top of the bull bar to fit a LX470. Reason? Well unless you feel like taking the front bumper off every time you want to open the hood, I'd cut them off.

Also apparently the whole plastic insert is different too, not allowing the old IPF ones to fit on the newer model.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...nstallation-directions-arb-fog-light-kit.html

correct, on the Combo only of course.

Bull****, New York has better pizza :flipoff2:

I'm going to run to the grocery store (no not in the 100), get some food and I'll be back. I'm going to post pictures of both versions of the combo bar. Zane, Fish2live, shotts, even christo's white LX470 are good examples of the sahara setups.

If you were ARB and wanted your bumper airbag compatible within the US, you probably wouldn't find them so ridiculous. Also, not having them would mean that any serious blunt force applied to the bumper would xfer straight into the frame of the truck. With the crush zones, there's a buffer there to absorb the energy from an impact. I would much rather replace the crush zones or bumper than 2 airbags, or worse - straighten a frame.

LC's do use inertia sensors and Toyota has been criticized that their sensors may be dialed up too much (re: Camry's going under semis and no airbag pop). So, you'd have to factor in whatever force "x" is required for the airbags to deploy and subtract out the "y" force that it takes to crush the accordians. It may be a marginal difference, but it's there.

IMG00282-20090209-1414.jpg

I'm just in the process of adding a 03+ Combo bar to my 1998 LX470. I am colourmatching it as well as adding a M12000 Warn.

I have removed the tabs here.

Took maybe 20 minutes to cut/grind them off.

Here are some shots of the bumper before removing tabs.

Hmmmm maybe this is why my wife's airbags didn't deploy when she was hit head on. The LC sustained $8500 in damage, and the other car (ford focus) was totalled.

The Cruiser seems pretty intact. They might not deploy until greater forces occur because the vehicle is so strong and protective in the first pace. Because of this it might be possible at lesser impacts that the airbags could do more harm to the occupants than the collision itself. How was your wife after the crash?

Does anyone have any information about the strength of the bumper wings? Especially comparing the 98-02 sahara to the 03+ sahara.

The Cruiser seems pretty intact. They might not deploy until greater forces occur because the vehicle is so strong and protective in the first pace. Because of this it might be possible at lesser impacts that the airbags could do more harm to the occupants than the collision itself. How was your wife after the crash?

Shotts,
She saw it coming and braced for it. That didn't help and caused her to tear her rotator cuff, bilateral distal radius fractures, and a tear in the tendon by the scaffoid.
On a side note...when you get that call that your wife, seven and four year olds are in a head on collision... I never second guessed my decision to buy the LC knowing that they would be safe in a rolling tank.
Thanks for the info.
Bendfj

Shotts,
She saw it coming and braced for it. That didn't help and caused her to tear her rotator cuff, bilateral distal radius fractures, and a tear in the tendon by the scaffoid.
On a side note...when you get that call that your wife, seven and four year olds are in a head on collision... I never second guessed my decision to buy the LC knowing that they would be safe in a rolling tank.
Thanks for the info.
Bendfj

Lord, that's horrible. Sorry to hear that. Not sure on the airbag vs non-airbag deal/topic.

And yes, the 100 is a rolling tank. Can't imagine experiencing that collision in a say a Tahoe.

I have a 99 LC with the early ARB combo bar. I rear ended a mini van at low speed, under 5mph. I contacted the rear hatch and light with the outer part of my drivers front bumper. The impact was in the area of the turn signal in the bumper. The bumper flexed and the upper light mount on passenger side scraped the front edge of the bumper. The bumper flexing bent the inner fender, thus bending the fender itself and breaking the passenger turn signal. It sounds strange but the bumper never touched the outer fender. I was suprised to say the least. The bumper is bent on the front around the openning for the light and behind the upright. The body shop says it is twisted and needs to be replaced.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom