AltFuel Anyone making "black diesel" (WMO/ATF/hudraulic oil) out there ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the info!
I wil be using 10% old engine/gear oil next time but the filtering process is blurry to me
To get John Galts poo out of the oil I will use a shopping bag and industry magnet (holds 75 kg),
But from there on 1 micron filter bag. The dieselfilter filtration rate is 10 micron.
And this has to gravity drain and drip without a pump.

OK, spend some money: http://www.oilsystems.de/Oilsystems.us.htm
file.php

Last edited:
What about mixing something in like "Seaform" (fuel additive). I know you'd be buying it which kinda defeats the purpose but maybe it would help some especially in cold weather locations.

I think the issues with WMO in regards to emmisions may be more because of lubrication additives than contaminants.

And I think the additives are smaller and more difficult to filter.

So, filtering will make it safer for your fuel system, but centrifuges may be better for separating out the stuff you dont really want to burn for emissions (in WMO). Though Im not sure where one could find a study to indicate if centrifuges would be the best method. Perhaps an enhanced catalytic system would improve emissions as well.

Maybe contacting the german vendor from the link above you could find some more on that.

edit: I just emailed them, Ill post anything interesting.

Last edited:
I've tracked down a transmission shop that will sell me their waste ATF cheap. I have two questions:

• What can you use to mix with your WMO (ATF) other than diesel?
  • I was cautioned by the guy at the transmission shop that a lot of their waste fluid was synthetic. I haven't seen anyone mention anything about syn oils. A lot of waste motor (crankcase) oils would have synthetics in it. Is that a problem? Does it burn along with the petroleum based oils?
Thanks in advance.

Ray

I've tracked down a transmission shop that will sell me their waste ATF cheap. I have two questions:

• What can you use to mix with your WMO (ATF) other than diesel?
  • I was cautioned by the guy at the transmission shop that a lot of their waste fluid was synthetic. I haven't seen anyone mention anything about syn oils. A lot of waste motor (crankcase) oils would have synthetics in it. Is that a problem? Does it burn along with the petroleum based oils?
Thanks in advance.

Ray

All I can comment on is my experience and all I have access to is motor oil and atf. Those mixed with gasoline are all I have used.

The motor oil I use is a synthetic blend and I have no problem with it. I can get full synthetic but have never experimented with it. I have heard that guys would have to add a little more gas to full synthetic to get it to burn well but I have never tried.

One thing I love about Ih8mud is all the technical research that goes into the posts. Ive been a watcher for a long time on this site gathering any advice I need for my FJ40. I tow with diesesl and have been running WMO for a long time...with over 300,000 miles logged on a 1990 1st gen Dodge Cummins and a1999 7.3 Powerstroke...each! I basically run anything I can get my hands on, run it through a couple of filters, cut it with either gas, kerosene, or diesel and pour it in. I get a lot of donations for fuel and it gets me to the trail. Thanks to you all for all the input. I love seeing the science side of this topic.

Hi ToyHauler!
I am not a member for a long time but: welcome to mud!

My WVO setup is finished and filling up with sunflower oil with two 200 liter barrels so waiting for the first drip to come out in a few weeks.
But I can get ALL oil from a Massey Ferguson dealer!
He warned me for some hydrolic oil that is suitable for gear boxes and contains friction additives.

for 80w90 the info/safety pdf says:
Wear NITRIL Gloves! (breaktrough time 480 minutes)
(these are sold by a 1000 and very cheap!)

boilingpoint: 280 degrees celcius.
dangerous fumes in case of fire, Metaloxyden.
CO, CO2, POx, NOx, SOx, H2S
flamepoint >200 degrees celcius
selfcombustion temp >240

So do you think I should make a second 400 liter setup for tractor oils only?
Or mix the stuff with sunflower oil?
Maybe I have to test in a jar what happens if I mix them. (tractor) oils keep the germs and bacteria algeas away I read somewere.
I allmost used the HJ60 motoroil but in this thread it is mentioned as very dirty oil and not suitable

Last edited:
Hi HJ 60,
Im not sure on how "friction additives" would afftect anything. Maybe some one here can help....

Sunflower oil? Tell me all about it!

I havent used any really heavy weight oils such as 80w90 but have used 15w40 and hydraulic oil, and a whole lot of it I might add. Usually I save the heavier oil (diesel trucks, semi's, heavy equipment, commercial compressor hyraulic oil) for the summer months and thinner oils (lawn mower, car, ATF) for the winter, as I have noticed a difference in my engines with cold thick oil. I have mixed vegetable oil with different oils without any issues, but it was in very small amounts this last summer. My process is a little more crude than most, and I typically only mix a total of 1/3 oil to a tank of diesel. I dont have any seperate tanks, filters, lines etc.

The cleaner the oil the better! Like I said in a previous post, I just run it through two filters, mix, pour into tank!

I just run it through two filters, mix, pour into tank!

As a lot of SVO users have found out the hard way, if you don't make sure the VO is dry to less than 500ppm moisture you will rapidly destroy the fuel system, but hey if it saves as few bucks in the meantime....

I use a pabiodiesel 120gph centrifuge to make my wmo blend. I make w85 (15% regular unleaded to 85% waste motor oil. Runs great in the p-pumped cummins. In the winter months I do use some diesel. Summer none. Now I just need a diesel cruiser. The Dodge is a constant project.

I use a pabiodiesel 120gph centrifuge to make my wmo blend. I make w85 (15% regular unleaded to 85% waste motor oil. Runs great in the p-pumped cummins. In the winter months I do use some diesel. Summer none. Now I just need a diesel cruiser. The Dodge is a constant project.
How many miles have you put on the Cummins using the WMO? I've been stock piling oil for awhile just in case I want to start.

I get more WMO than I could ever use as fuel so have just ordered these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171620586544 for experimentation.

I'll run it thru a €750 Merc and see how it goes. How long should it settle for, couple of weeks OK?

I have been making black diesel and running it in my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 as well as my 1997 Ford F-350 for about 3 years now and I have not had any issues with it whatsoever! I have been combining 80% WMO with 20% regular unleaded gasoline. After about 24 hours (this allows separation of the contaminants) I filter it through a 10 micron filter into a storage tank.

Ran a turbocharged 3L in a truck (18psi) up to 80% WMO For around 60k km's. Any higher % and lift pump had trouble keeping up. Just finished reco of 2h n/a in 60 series , done 500km so far, first tank of 50/50 at moment hydraulic oil. Can't tell difference in performance or aroma as per 3L
Turbo goes on in next couple weeks

I wonder if something like this can be made for cheap as it looks like one of those oil suction tanks at oil change shops with a filter attached

1683671726130.png

I think it would be great in processing your own WMO but I don't think it would beat a centrifuge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom