Any Vise Collectors Here? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For SALE $300. The 506 cleaned up really nice. Tightened everything up and there is almost now play at all. Super smooth! I’m in the Houston area. Nearly 100 pounds and beautiful jaws. A really good deal on a great vise.

image.jpg

9464C064-AEBC-4795-9632-B7410BA5A51B.jpeg

ABAA6DFD-34EE-444F-A185-3639C4AAEFEA.jpeg

Last edited:
how are those jaw inserts held in there? Just a press fit?

Super excited about these 3 I just got. Found a guy whose dad had an old school machine shop and the dad recently passed away.
Originally met just for the Columbian and the Parker. When he dropped the tailgate the Reed was back there so had to grab it also lol

Talking right before I left he mentioned there were some miniature vises laying around the shop.
Only had a picture of one and pulls out his phone....a mint original paint baby bullet on the swivel stand.
Going to try and get that one as well once he sees what else he has

1.jpg

3.jpg

5 (2).jpg

5 (1).jpg

6.jpg

@bhsdriller JACKPOT! Great vises in very usable sizes. Can't wait to see the babies!

Ok, here’s my humble offerings to the group.

Columbian 604. Actually my first half way decent vice. I will certainly clean it up, but this will be a worker. Picked it up today at a local garage sale for $40.

DBC19C49-681C-4461-937B-29DD9DE5F61B.jpeg

AB220728-5B1F-4DC2-8087-475E950C718F.jpeg

763276CD-AF15-4784-BE06-97D436399396.jpeg

@John McVicker That's a fine ol' Columbian (my favorite)! The arch script Columbians are older late 30s-40s. Enjoy having a useful tool that will likely outlast your kids!

Did a quick cleaning on the Reed. Can tell it was used but in super good shape. Thought it would break the tailgate for a minute
Stamped "4 71"

Only thing is the regular jaws are virtually non existent lol they're completely smooth. I'll have to look around think there's some guys making jaws.
The pipe jaws are fine

20220708_193534_HDR.jpg

Great job @bhsdriller! I'll check, I think someone was doing Reed jaws. I know a guy doing Wiltons now.

A vintage-looking vise. The only cast markings on it are "No 131" and "3 inch". But no manufacturer name that I saw. Any idea who might have made this?

131 vise.jpg

131-2 vise.jpg

The jaws look cast in.(?)
The lower front of the dynamic is unusual in that there’s no rectangular or square shape in that area like lots of other makes have.
I can think of more vises that it’s not than I can think of that this one could possibly be 🤔

maybe a generic vise made for resale by a big retailer like Sears etc? or a foreign knock-off?

@e9999 It is a very early Rock Island vise. The rounded hood over the lead screw is rather unique to them. Handsome vise!

Interesting. Why would it not have a manufacturer marking?
What would the vise I showed be worth, roughly, if you know?

@e9999 3" vises are tough "sells" (even Wilton and Reed). Not small enough to be "cute" and not really big enough for a lot of jobs. I'd be a buyer at $100-125 if very local.

OK, good to know, thanks. I take it those don't have replaceable jaws either?

Like @RUSH55 said, they appear to be cast. Most turn of the century vises were made that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom