Another CV Axle Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are these the regular Cardone or the Cardone HD? Good to know as I am debating between rebuilding a set of OEM for around $600 or getting a set of the Cardone. First world problems I know... and most will likely say OEM.
dese ones, they had the standard boot, not the upgraded one.

1590028656768.png

Are these the regular Cardone or the Cardone HD? Good to know as I am debating between rebuilding a set of OEM for around $600 or getting a set of the Cardone. First world problems I know... and most will likely say OEM.

I seem to remember you figured out the difference between regular Cardone and Cardone HD is just the boots.

I seem to remember you figured out the difference between regular Cardone and Cardone HD is just the boots.

That is correct. The HD (which is what I purchased) have thick Thermo-Plastic boots (supposed to hold up longer).

CV_1.jpg
Parts4.jpg
Parts6.jpg

Due to a mishap this evening pulling my f'ing DS CV axle for the third time to address a leaking axle oil seal, the inner shaft popped out of the tulip, jacking up the c-clip that holds it in. So after getting the cv on the bench to address this, I discovered the inner shaft on Cardon CV's does indeed have 6 bearings. Just thought I would share that tid bit with the group.
I'm also happy to report a standard toyota c-clip for holding the axle in the tulip also fits the cardon axle tulip. I believe at this point the Cardon could be rebooted down the road in one chose to do so, using Toyota kit. I have to wonder if the same plant makes the Cardon as the ones for Toyota, just the Toyota ones receive more fit and finish milling etc for a "like a glove fit".

I'm also happy to report a standard toyota c-clip for holding the axle in the tulip also fits the cardon axle tulip. I believe at this point the Cardon could be rebooted down the road in one chose to do so, using Toyota kit. I have to wonder if the same plant makes the Cardon as the ones for Toyota, just the Toyota ones receive more fit and finish milling etc for a "like a glove fit".
Definitely could be or could be something as simple as the Toyota ones receive a slight higher "quality" material base vs. the others. Could come from the exact same machines and whatnot. Or could be the quality of internals like the grease, ball bearings, races, cage, etc. that are made of higher quality material vs. a lower quality "cheaper" material.

Definitely could be or could be something as simple as the Toyota ones receive a slight higher "quality" material base vs. the others. Could come from the exact same machines and whatnot. Or could be the quality of internals like the grease, ball bearings, races, cage, etc. that are made of higher quality material vs. a lower quality "cheaper" material.

If they fit and work - the only way to know is to have some evidence of them not lasting. I doubt we will have this evidence. I plan to put them on. If they fit - I am pretty sure they outlive my relationship with LX

That is correct. The HD (which is what I purchased) have thick Thermo-Plastic boots (supposed to hold up longer).

View attachment 2313708View attachment 2313709View attachment 2313710

How are the Cardone HD's holding up for you so far with the OEM hub flanges? My driver side clunk is noticeable worse after my last wheeling trip on the driver side so I'm going to order at least one OEM hub flange and Cardone axle for that side. I may end up getting both sides, but the passenger side wasn't that bad.

currently Partsouq is out of hub flanges though.....

How are the Cardone HD's holding up for you so far with the OEM hub flanges? My driver side clunk is noticeable worse after my last wheeling trip on the driver side so I'm going to order at least one OEM hub flange and Cardone axle for that side. I may end up getting both sides, but the passenger side wasn't that bad.

currently Partsouq is out of hub flanges though.....

Perfect so far. But only have a few thousand miles on them.

No leaking from differential (some have experienced), no vibration over 65 mph (have had it up to 80 mph).

Mine is mostly a Daily Driver, not much off-road use....so I can't speak to that.

But so far....I am satisfied with them.

Perfect so far. But only have a few thousand miles on them.

No leaking from differential (some have experienced), no vibration over 65 mph (have had it up to 80 mph).

Mine is mostly a Daily Driver, not much off-road use....so I can't speak to that.

But so far....I am satisfied with them.
Agreed, I’ve put about 10k miles since installing and no complaints.

Cardones on mine as well. Highway & primarily off-road. No issues so far. About 8k in.

my cardones are about 7k and 3k on them, highway and offroad use. no problems so far. i feel like buying and storing replacements in my garage since they are soo cheap.

my cardones are about 7k and 3k on them, highway and offroad use. no problems so far. i feel like buying and storing replacements in my garage since they are soo cheap.

I hope I made the right choice, so far mine have done well. They are on my Wife's D/D (mostly highway use) so are not subjected to any hard use. The only thing about them (so far) that I found a bit troublesome was fitting them to new drive flanges. The 'fit' was VERY tight and could not be accomplished by hand.

Prior to installation I ran the drive flanges on and off of the CV splines quite a few times and that helped somewhat. But IF a roadside emergency were to occur.....I am expecting to have to wedge something under the drive flanges to remove them. Now....perhaps with use... they will wear 'in' and loosen up, I don't know. But you'll not have any 'clunk' with these if you also have new drive flanges, I can tell you that. ;)

Has anyone else received an OEM CV axle with only 1 yellow boot clamp? Is this real or a fake OEM part?

I ordered from Discount Parts Monster

Cv axles are about $450 now plus $40 core fee!!!! Wish they were only $400 or less like the original poster 😁

20210730_092931.jpg

20210730_092918.jpg

20210730_092914.jpg

20210730_092856.jpg

20210730_092901.jpg

Has anyone else received an OEM CV axle with only 1 yellow boot clamp? Is this real or a fake OEM part?

I ordered from Discount Parts Monster

Cv axles are about $450 now plus $40 core fee!!!! Wish they were only $400 or less like the original poster 😁

View attachment 2747387

View attachment 2747389

View attachment 2747390

View attachment 2747391

View attachment 2747392
Correct, OEM has yellow bands on the outboard tulip and silver bands on inboard. Also, OEM has black painted intermediate shaft and tulips while (most) aftermarket do not and will develop surface rust very quickly because of it.

New Axle 1.jpg

New Axle 2.jpg

Last edited:
Correct, OEM has yellow bands on the outboard tulip and silver bands on inboard. Also, OEM has black painted intermediate shaft and tulips while (most) aftermarket do not and will develop surface rust very quickly because of it.

View attachment 2748227

View attachment 2748228
Should I be concerned that mine is fake since I only have one yellow band on the outboard shaft? Or seems legit? Everything else looks legit, both tulips are black

Should I be concerned that mine is fake since I only have one yellow band on the outboard shaft? Or seems legit? Everything else looks legit, both tulips are black
Yours looks to be OEM, I would not worry

3566AE25-D4DC-4A44-BDF6-B6F123847AD1.jpeg
Hey everyone. Can I get some help here wrapping my head around what might be causing this gap between my axle and hub? I tore down everything to the bearings and made sure everything was tight and to spec but am still getting this gap and I’m not sure if this is excessive play from the axle and if it’s something that needs to be addressed right away?

Picture above shows a comparison of the driver and passenger side.

View attachment 2813485Hey everyone. Can I get some help here wrapping my head around what might be causing this gap between my axle and hub? I tore down everything to the bearings and made sure everything was tight and to spec but am still getting this gap and I’m not sure if this is excessive play from the axle and if it’s something that needs to be addressed right away?

Picture above shows a comparison of the driver and passenger side.

If the gap is between your hub and CV I would think it has something to do with your snap ring being too thin (or maybe fell off)

If the gap is between your hub and CV I would think it has something to do with your snap ring being too thin (or maybe fell off)
Hmm... The snap ring is definitely OEM. I believe it came with the CV axle boot kit when I rebuilt them. I'll double check that this weekend.

Hmm... The snap ring is definitely OEM. I believe it came with the CV axle boot kit when I rebuilt them. I'll double check that this weekend.
There is a specific gap you need between the hub flange and snap ring. Can't remember what that number is, but it's definitely on here somewhere.

You probably just need a thicker clip. They come from Toyota in thicknesses A through F or something like that. I had to install a thicker one when I replaced my hub flange and CV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom