Aftermarket horn? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried searching, but didn't come up with anything.

The stock horns on my LX450 is just plain wimpy. Here I am driving this soon to be lifted monster and I need something that matches what it will look like.

Anyone have any aftermarket horns they've used that sound better?

TIA

Last edited:

The stock horns on my LX470 is just plain wimpy. Here I am driving this soon to be lifted monster and I need something that matches what it will look like.

TIA
Some folks are inclined to use train horns. Not kidding. But you're not going to fit them under the hood… :)

This is the best upgrade if you have compressed air:
98 Snakeeater Train Horns.JPG

Credit @98 SNAKE EATER

Most go with the Hellas you can get on Ebay

Aftermarket Horn Wiring

junkyard vw horn. Hella typically or klaxon. one of the best cheap upgrades you can do.

Just put a set of PIAA 85115 Superior Bass Horns in place of the OE ones. I'm no longer embarrassed to honk at those that deserve it. Not ridiculously loud (although I'm contemplating train horns for use here in SF!), but a proper clear & robust "HONK" when needed.
Picked 'em up from Amazon - Amazon.com: PIAA 85115 Superior Bass Horn: Automotive

Hella supertones in red, $50 from Amazon, I have them on my 80. Plugs into the stock wires, or you can run a relay and have direct power from the battery for more oomph. I have found them to be quite devastating against the inattentive motorist !

Hella supertones in red, $50 from Amazon, I have them on my 80. Plugs into the stock wires, or you can run a relay and have direct power from the battery for more oomph. I have found them to be quite devastating against the inattentive motorist !

I just decided to pull my old unit today and I think I can clean the bracket up, but these look much nicer than my crusty old horns. Did you find a need to wire them directly from the battery, or was using the old wires satisfactory? I am not a great electrical mind, so keeping it simple has always been a better match for my skill set.

I kept my stock horns but added a pair of the Hella Dual Air Horns. It all fit nicely mounted on a single piece of flat stock behind the grille on the pass side.

I just decided to pull my old unit today and I think I can clean the bracket up, but these look much nicer than my crusty old horns. Did you find a need to wire them directly from the battery, or was using the old wires satisfactory? I am not a great electrical mind, so keeping it simple has always been a better match for my skill set.

I just re used the factory wiring.

The stock horns on my LX470 is just plain wimpy. Here I am driving this soon to be lifted monster and I need something that matches what it will look like.

TIA

I posted this a while back.
I really love the new sound these put out.

The stock horns on my LX470 ... I need something that matches what it will look like.

So, a minivan, there are lots of those horns at the pick & pull?!:hillbilly:

$5 Volvo Car Horns from the Junkyard. For some reason all 90's Volvos came with super loud horns. I also put a relay triggering the horns with thicker cable. Don't know if it makes any difference but I just wanted to squeeze every last decibel out of the new horns.
The orignal horns for the cruiser are not appropriate for a vehicle this size.. But the Cruiser horns now live on my motorcycle. :)

Both my rigs had them, it wakes sleepy people behind the wheel.

20170121_123806.jpg

20170121_123853.jpg

20160921_164512.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom