AC Evaporator box install advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some AC experts to give a bit of advice on the best way to get the AC evaporator box installed. How much of the dash needs to come out? Have the glove box out already, but it will not fit in.
IMG_5404.JPG

Do these other AC parts it hooks up to on both sides need to be loosened? Removed?
IMG_5402.JPG

Does the evap box that clamps together need to go in apart in two pieces? Hoping it's a simple solution, but we are pretty stuck at the moment and can't figure it out. Couldn't find anything in the fsm that covers evap box installation. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!!!

I did it exactly like you have it. Takes a good bit of wiggling and pushing. Tried a few different approaches before it popped back in.

I did remove some of the ducting across the trans tunnel.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out for you. Mine is out waiting on parts. I'll be in your shoes in a few weeks.

remove as much stuff surrounding as possible. then be patient and wiggle this way, and jiggle that way...they didn't make that easy, but it is doable...I posted pics when I did my AC refresh last spring. I'll see if i can find the pics...

Quick update on this. First, thanks for the all the suggestions to help get this in. For anyone doing this, here is what we had to do.
You don't need the entire dash out, just the glove box removed and it helps if the dash trim is removed from around the heating/cooling controls. We also have a non factory AC 60, so we had these metal L brackets on both the blower and heater core sides (we had an hvac tube connecting both sides that came out).
IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5405.JPG

If you had an evaporator box in yours, then you may not have these metal L brackets, as appears they do not fit back in with the evap box installed.
Next, you need to unscrew all the screws from the floor AC ducts that cross the trans hump.
IMG_5408.JPG

We couldn't get ours out from all the insulation and padding we put in over the trans hump, but if you just unscrew them you can push it down enough to get the evap box to wiggle through.
IMG_5409.JPG

It is also helpful to remove the L shaped hvac tube that is just above floor vents, and can easily be taken out by unscrewing the bracket bolt that is located just inside the glove box, 10mm if I remember correctly.
Then you just shimmy the evap box back and forth till you feed the firewall AC tubes through and hang the evap box from the 2 bolt studs to the underside of the top of the dash. Plugs for the AC wire harness are all right there as well. Hope this helps anyone else putting their evap box in or taking it out.

Quick update on this. First, thanks for the all the suggestions to help get this in. For anyone doing this, here is what we had to do.
You don't need the entire dash out, just the glove box removed and it helps if the dash trim is removed from around the heating/cooling controls. We also have a non factory AC 60, so we had these metal L brackets on both the blower and heater core sides (we had an hvac tube connecting both sides that came out).
View attachment 1450815
View attachment 1450816

If you had an evaporator box in yours, then you may not have these metal L brackets, as appears they do not fit back in with the evap box installed.
Next, you need to unscrew all the screws from the floor AC ducts that cross the trans hump.
View attachment 1450817

We couldn't get ours out from all the insulation and padding we put in over the trans hump, but if you just unscrew them you can push it down enough to get the evap box to wiggle through.
View attachment 1450818

It is also helpful to remove the L shaped hvac tube that is just above floor vents, and can easily be taken out by unscrewing the bracket bolt that is located just inside the glove box, 10mm if I remember correctly.
Then you just shimmy the evap box back and forth till you feed the firewall AC tubes through and hang the evap box from the 2 bolt studs to the underside of the top of the dash. Plugs for the AC wire harness are all right there as well. Hope this helps anyone else putting their evap box in or taking it out.

Im in the middle of my project as well.

The mount the top left well behind the ash tray seems to hang up on things. I sorta kinda snapped it off wiggling it in and it now goes in and out much easier. Its still useable but seems a bit redundant.

I found unbolting the fan housing helps when putting this in. Mine just popped in after following Jen's advice.

image.jpg

@Willard how did you go about removing/unbolting the fan housing? My ecap box is stuck between the brace for the dash and the firewall, but I can imagine if I can move everything to the right, it'll move past.

Look at everything make sure you have all of the bolts undone. Also make sure you unplug everything.
It comes down not up.

I moved the carpet down and wiggeled it out. IT is a bit of a paint to get out. IT does go in easier.

wonder if anyone has ever come up with their own version of a cabin air filter for the A/C . Yeah I know...but I was looking at ideas and like in the pics my foam is dust, which is not going to make much difference but I actually did clean some of the duct work when the heater core had to come out.

There is at thread somewhere about this. One where someone put a K&N filter cloth over the intake in the cowl. That was probably the best option mentioned in the thread. I'll probably do the same unless someone else comes up with a different brilliant idea.

I'll see if I can find the thread and link it here.

Here it is.

@Willard how did you go about removing/unbolting the fan housing? My ecap box is stuck between the brace for the dash and the firewall, but I can imagine if I can move everything to the right, it'll move past.

I took mine out as one piece. Are you sure you have all of the bolts removed.
There should have been enough room to push the Evap box forward then the fan box down. It is tight but will come out.

I took mine out as one piece. Are you sure you have all of the bolts removed.
There should have been enough room to push the Evap box forward then the fan box down. It is tight but will come out.
I got the evap box out with some pulling, but couldn't figure out how to get the fan box out. Haven't tried to put it back in yet. It was late, so I'll finish later this week.

I got the evap box out with some pulling, but couldn't figure out how to get the fan box out. Haven't tried to put it back in yet. It was late, so I'll finish later this week.

IF the fan box is not coming out nice, you must have a bolt still in. I believe there is on at the top. With the EVAP out there is no reason it should not come out easy.

There is at thread somewhere about this. One where someone put a K&N filter cloth over the intake in the cowl. That was probably the best option mentioned in the thread. I'll probably do the same unless someone else comes up with a different brilliant idea.

I'll see if I can find the thread and link it here.

Here it is.

I'll check it out. I was wondering about some type of box frame and maybe wire mesh to keep the filter material from sucking into the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom