Builds A Trakka Troopy Revival (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just picked up thread. Lmfao!!! #1. Highest thermostat you can get 180dgr. if possible. At -30c put card board in front of rad,cutout a couple of holes. My bj has a rear heater. Had exactly same prob with blend door makes decent heat. As is newly turboed with intercooler in front of rad I'm not running a winter cover. What do you get when you turn on heater fan in a cruiser? Answer. WIND CHILL ha ha

Just picked up thread. Lmfao!!! #1. Highest thermostat you can get 180dgr. if possible. At -30c put card board in front of rad,cutout a couple of holes. My bj has a rear heater. Had exactly same prob with blend door makes decent heat. As is newly turboed with intercooler in front of rad I'm not running a winter cover. What do you get when you turn on heater fan in a cruiser? Answer. WIND CHILL ha ha

It was the blend door, the whole time. Go figure. Someone rerouted the wire to a position hidden behind the dash handle above the glove box. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Glad you got your heater issue fixed!

Your truck does sound like it runs a bit cold. On my tropical spec 1PZ there is no fan clutch from the factory, it is a direct drive fan. Everything in the cooling system is new and it still runs cool. Without a fan clutch I believe this is normal. You might take a look at your fan clutch, if your truck is Aussie I am sure it has one. Another tidbit of info, some 2H came from the factory with no thermostat if you can believe that. There are several styles of water outlets and one style is for no thermostat.

Cheers

Hello,

Different markets with different climates led the designers to fine tune components like A/C and engine thermostats for particular conditions, I guess.

Juan

WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING? WASTING TIME AND ENERGY AND BRAIN.

Out of boredom, I thought I'd be wise and get an electric fan. The cleaner the engine bay, the better in my eyes. I once completely shaved an http://www.stanceworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/GOOLLLLLLDDDD.png engine bay because I was 18. (also had no taste, hence Gold/Teal combo)

Anyway, here is the electric fan installed. I paired it with a Summit racing adjustable temp sensor and switch that I could program to switch on at just the right temperature along with an overdrive if I saw a bigol' hill coming up or something. Looks great huh?!

IMG_2258_zps44xfodqm.jpg

It seemed to work good. Worked great the first few weeks of commuting (short, city commute). Then I took it on the highway, noticed it got hot. Took it up a hill, also got hot. Mmhm, strange. What do I do? I definitely don't come to my senses yet - of course not, I am determined. Instead, I add another fan where the AC condenser used to be; Double fans! Surely enough right? NO. Weeks (okay a few hours spread out over the course of a few weeks) of dicking around with this and I finally put the OEM clutch fan back on. Guess what? COOLS PERFECTLY, RUNS PERFECTLY, DOES NOT OVERHEAT IN ANY SITUATION.

What have I learned? Don't be stupid, don't try to fix something that isn't broken especially if it was designed by mr. Toyota.

Price for Lesson? $300~

Good things that happened:
Trakka was stoked on my photos or something and sent a bunch of swag. All the shirts are too small so my wife wears them. I used the keychain though so that's cool.
IMG_2272_zpsxkyyanlt.png

My friend sewed me up some panels for the sides of the rear. These are INCREDIBLY useful. Made of 16oz waxed duck canvas, they are durable and should patina well. They are attached with snap buttons so they can be popped off easily and you can store things behind them. All of this wasted space is finally utilized. Also he added pockets and such. I am stoked!

IMG_0104_zpssz10a8dv.jpg

IMG_0107_zpsyvtdzqit.png

Last edited:
What else happened? My wife and I finished her plant trailer? It's a mobile nursery/plant store. I towed it with the 70. That was really cool.
IMG_0366_zpsgxnzkjl4.jpg

DSCF0951_zpstu8dapbl.jpg

It's been doing really well. Who knew?! Apparently people (IE girls) will pay big bucks for succulents and cacti. No Ferrari yet though.

Also in other bad choices I have made: As the owner of a tire shop(and a huge fan of General/Continental), I figured I had to try out the new GENERAL GRABBER ATX that just came out a few weeks ago. They don't come in a 33x10.50 like the BFG KO2 does though, so I had to go with a 33x12.50. I actually love the way they look being two inches wider. Seem to fit the long troop carrier better, but they are definitely a bit slower up hills (or it could be in my head) as they are 3 lbs heavier than the BFGs.

DSCF0037_zpsr3fojdus.jpg

Maybe a bit slower, but this 435,000km NA motor was pretty dang slow regardless of tire size.

It's a good thing I just ordered this then, huh?

IMG_0509_zpsdux0dvht.png

Hello,

Different markets with different climates led the designers to fine tune components like A/C and engine thermostats for particular conditions, I guess.

Juan

Absolutely. The 2H in some HJ47 (tropical spec I assume) had no thermostat from the factory. In the parts books there are two options for thermostat housing, one with thermostat and one without. It is the first and only Cruiser I have ever heard of that came from Toyota without a thermostat.

Cheers

I have built some v8 Cruisers and also had a super built up diesel. Electric fans don't work so good in my opinion, especially at speeds and under loads. This being retro fitted ones anyways, when the entire vehicle is engineered to run an electric fan they seem to work well. Fan shroud is also super important. When we built the diesel we looked at electric fans but after some testing, it was very obvious the stock mechanical fan and shroud pulled way more air, the only exception being at idle. So a pusher fan was installed on a switch for low speeds to compliment the mechanical fan, like off-roading. Mostly due to having a large front mount intercooler and wanting to keep lot's of air flowing at slow speeds and low rpms. It worked excellent for the intended purpose.

Cheers

I have built some v8 Cruisers and also had a super built up diesel. Electric fans don't work so good in my opinion, especially at speeds and under loads. This being retro fitted ones anyways, when the entire vehicle is engineered to run an electric fan they seem to work well. Fan shroud is also super important. When we built the diesel we looked at electric fans but after some testing, it was very obvious the stock mechanical fan and shroud pulled way more air, the only exception being at idle. So a pusher fan was installed on a switch for low speeds to compliment the mechanical fan, like off-roading. Mostly due to having a large front mount intercooler and wanting to keep lot's of air flowing at slow speeds and low rpms. It worked excellent for the intended purpose.

Cheers

Lesson learned for sure! I left the outer the fan on just to be extra, so now I can have the best of both worlds!

Engine is in the states and seems to be running well.

We'll see when it arrives at my shop. Take a couple weeks to refresh all the gaskets and seals then drop it in.

IMG_0840_zpstguqb6pi.png

Got out camping a few times as well, managed to take some pictures of the interior in use. It's working great so far!

DSCF1872_zpsosgzcemq.jpg

DSCF1889_zpsbhdgnoia.jpg

DSCF1817_zpseoggnx7w.jpg

DSCF1786_zps1lrd1r3o.jpg

DSCF1812%202_zps6oysm0ln.jpg

DSCF1844_zps79vgi3ds.jpg

DSCF1834_zpsnbgwhakw.jpg

Camping over the Memorial Day holiday? We met last winter in Bend.

Engine is in the states and seems to be running well.

We'll see when it arrives at my shop. Take a couple weeks to refresh all the gaskets and seals then drop it in.

Got out camping a few times as well, managed to take some pictures of the interior in use. It's working great so far!

Hello,

This is material for the Artistic Cruiser Pictures thread.

Juan

IMG_0937_zpsf8ve95ln.jpg

IMG_0938_zpsnmjzi4rq.jpg

IMG_0948_zpsh8tuontw.jpg

Engine Arrived and the teardown began. Was hoping to get it in within a couple days, but we know how that goes. Someone had recently replaced the clutch, pressure plate, etc with a Safari Tuff Exedy unit, which was awesome but unfortunately the throwout bearing was missing a clip so it was pushing sideways on the pressure plate(which explains the squeaky throwout bearing at idle). While waiting on the new clutch I replaced most all of the external gaskets and seals.

Powdercoated the valve cover and intake plenums along with a cerakote on the exhaust manifold shields.

IMG_1025_zpsdsa3bw7a.jpg

IMG_1027_zpsbn2cii7t.jpg

Flywheel resurfaced and new clutch kit. Hopefully it's as strong as the exedy that it's replacing.

IMG_1026_zpsfq0zx9tf.jpg

IMG_1028_zpsxbgrwpln.jpg

Then while waiting on parts I also did a few suspension upgrades including greaseable shackles and 555 steering links. Also degreased my shocks which actually look awesome! Vintage Konis! Stoked on those.

IMG_1029_zpsc4bgsuht.jpg

IMG_1032_zpsx2u9wpqh.jpg

IMG_1030_zpsk9n2fkxb.jpg

SAD BOI

IMG_1031_zpslrtou3zy.jpg

very slick interior, what a great idea on the canvas! what kind of light is this?

Last edited:
The 12ht will pull that trailer easy but remember 5th gear is a overdrive so any slight hill or headwind pull her back to 4th gear you will get a longer life from the gearbox doing this.

Good to know! Not actually looking to pull a trailer more than a few miles around town. It's a mobile plant store so it stays in one place for months at a time.

I do try to get into 4th when going up hills.

Engine is in, had a hell of a time getting the tranny lined up and the engine mounts in but with enough prybars and tricks we got it happy in it's home. Give me a few days to figure out the VSV shutoff wiring along with routing vacuum and it should be moving on it's own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom