94 delayed cranking. Starter, ignition switch, or other?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A year later still starts solid.
Solenoid terminal with pigtail 82998-12480
Solenoid connector 90980-11400 (only needed if your latch is broken like mine was)

I'm about fed up w/ the click no start, but want to try this repair before I go with the aftermarket solutions.

The terminal with pigtail plugs into the starter? I assume you have to splice the wire judging by this picture from Partsouq:

1721746988219.webp
 
I'm about fed up w/ the click no start, but want to try this repair before I go with the aftermarket solutions.
The terminal with pigtail plugs into the starter? I assume you have to splice the wire judging by this picture from Partsouq:
Correct.
 
Just to update on this mod I did 7 years ago, still working perfectly and HIGHLY recommend if you own an 80 series.
Thanks to @jvazquez53 for the original help on this.
 
I'm about fed up w/ the click no start, but want to try this repair before I go with the aftermarket solutions.

The terminal with pigtail plugs into the starter? I assume you have to splice the wire judging by this picture from Partsouq:

Does anyone know if this connection to the starter (S1 from EWD) is part of the engine harness part # 82121-60343 ?

If so, I've had that harness replaced within the past few years. I pulled the S1 connector and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner, it did not appear in bad shape. Wanted to verify before I replace a good connection with the aftermarket splice kit.

1722383777422.png

 
Last edited:
"I pulled the S1 connector and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner, it did not appear in bad shape."
I think "cleaned with electrical contact cleaner, it did not appear in bad shape" is why this connector was so often overlooked.
The Ford starter relay works because it pumps more current / voltage into a weakened connection and overcomes the weakness.
The connector replacement works because it eliminates the weakened connection.
Buy the part from Toyota and no aftermarket issues.
 
I think "cleaned with electrical contact cleaner, it did not appear in bad shape" is why this connector was so often overlooked.
The Ford starter relay works because it pumps more current / voltage into a weakened connection and overcomes the weakness.
The connector replacement works because it eliminates the weakened connection.
Buy the part from Toyota and no aftermarket issues.

If it’s the cause then sure but the Ford solenoid diesnt need as much to activate.
 
Does anyone know if this connection to the starter (S1 from EWD) is part of the engine harness part # 82121-60343 ?

If so, I've had that harness replaced within the past few years. I pulled the S1 connector and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner, it did not appear in bad shape. Wanted to verify before I replace a good connection with the aftermarket splice kit.

View attachment 3690643​

I wonder if anyone has looked at the E-19 splice? Hint, hint, wink, wink.
 
I have this Exact Issue - Finding this Thread made my Day.
It is Totally Random when it Happens - ie Costco Gas Line with everyone in Line.

I ordered the 40amp Bosch Relay. OReilly's $15.06 Shipped to store this Wknd.

Do not really want to add the Solenoid (yet) as I have a Viper Car Starter installed which also has an Alarm.

Next will be this Route.
Hot Shot Kit Part No 30202
1787325055137.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom