8x Series V8 Swaps (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am using there adapter and found that with the truck accessories on the front of the motor i could not get the engine/trans perfectly straight
If i bolted the trans mount to the original holes in the cross member and split the clearance at the front so a/c and power steering resevoir fit between the frame rails the whole thing sat a little crooked. I decided to re drill the cross member by moving the holes to the passenger side 3/4" and forward 1/2". That left me with a motor/trans that was parallel with the frame but off set to the passenger side slighly and improved firewall clearance so it did not need to be hammered in to clear the valve cover. If you look through my posts you should be able to see the pics showing the tie rod and oil pan clearance.

Here's a couple pic's of the battery box i put in yesterday. It's the same optima 34R as in the previous pic's, I just used a trail gear steel box to better secure it

IMG_4642.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

Here are some pics of my completed exhaust. I opted to build it all from 304 stainless, helps that my friend offered to tig weld the whole thing. I used Cadillac CTS-V manifolds and went 2 1/2" into a Y collector. 3" from there to the back. I went over the transfer case output with the pipe and there was plenty of room to do it with 3" mandrel bends and no rattling. Let me know what you all think. I have been driving it for the past week and am very happy with the way it all came together

View attachment 1369693

View attachment 1369694

View attachment 1369695

View attachment 1369696

View attachment 1369697

IMG_4387.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

IMG_4545.JPG

Here's a couple pic's of the battery box i put in yesterday. It's the same optima 34R as in the previous pic's, I just used a trail gear steel box to better secure it

How much lift on that truck? Tons of room for my 1.5" deeper LS3 pan and oil cooler idea as long as I avoid wrapping the exhaust around the pan..

How much lift on that truck? Tons of room for my 1.5" deeper LS3 pan and oil cooler idea as long as I avoid wrapping the exhaust around the pan..
I'm using Old Man Emu springs and shocks. They are the longest springs ( heavies) about 3-4 " lift

According to Mark's 4wd site the 6LXX adapter works for 80 and 90E.. though they say the 90E is 35mm longer so you need to move the transfer case back. Since I'm not using the Marks motor mounts I'd consider moving the engine forward, personally.. should cut down on firewall modifications and from what I'm seeing there is also room between the engine accessories and radiator. I may not know enough about oilpan and tierod/frame crossmember clearance, though..

6L80E to LandCruiser 4-speed auto HF2A transfer case

Well.. did a bit more digging and.. NOPE.

Apparently the 6L90E uses a couple output shaft designs, and both are different and much larger than the 6L80E. Mark's kit is only designed for a 32-spline output.. on the site they mention a Holden HSV with the 6.2L LSA engine.. I'm currently trying to figure out if this is available in the states.. and talk to someone that has done a 6L90E swap into a cruiser already.

Just wanted to post that detail

Well.. did a bit more digging and.. NOPE.

Apparently the 6L90E uses a couple output shaft designs, and both are different and much larger than the 6L80E. Mark's kit is only designed for a 32-spline output.. on the site they mention a Holden HSV with the 6.2L LSA engine.. I'm currently trying to figure out if this is available in the states.. and talk to someone that has done a 6L90E swap into a cruiser already.

Just wanted to post that detail
I would be careful of the width. My cv front driveshaft is close to the corner of the pan. any extra width on the passenger side would be bad. I don't know if the trans cases are the same but ]they were all meant for a 4wd with the driveshaft on the drivers side not passenger like ours.
Mine clears with the cv and 4" lift but not a lot to spare

I would be careful of the width. My cv front driveshaft is close to the corner of the pan. any extra width on the passenger side would be bad. I don't know if the trans cases are the same but ]they were all meant for a 4wd with the driveshaft on the drivers side not passenger like ours.
Mine clears with the cv and 4" lift but not a lot to spare

Thanks for that info.

Mark's lists their adapter working for the 6L90E as long as you account for the length of the transmission and the output shaft.. so I'd guess the pan clearance issues aren't any worse than yours, but that's just a guess. It may also be that they aren't counting on that CV front shaft.. though I'm not sure what other options people have with the common 4-inch lift.

I'll post an update when I get it.

I've not been tracking this thread very well , but has anyone got a swap up and running (using the 6l90E or 6L80E / 6 speed auto)? Just wondering, as I thought most of the swaps were using forms of the 4L80E (4speed). I'm just trying to tag along as I may jump off into the 5.3 or 6.0 swap game either on my current FJ60 which has a 5.7 or an 80 at some point.

I've not been tracking this thread very well , but has anyone got a swap up and running (using the 6l90E or 6L80E / 6 speed auto)? Just wondering, as I thought most of the swaps were using forms of the 4L80E (4speed). I'm just trying to tag along as I may jump off into the 5.3 or 6.0 swap game either on my current FJ60 which has a 5.7 or an 80 at some point.

L92 (6.2L) + 6L80E:
LC9 (5.3L) + 6L80E:

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones I have bookmarked

Thanks for that info.

Mark's lists their adapter working for the 6L90E as long as you account for the length of the transmission and the output shaft.. so I'd guess the pan clearance issues aren't any worse than yours, but that's just a guess. It may also be that they aren't counting on that CV front shaft.. though I'm not sure what other options people have with the common 4-inch lift.

I'll post an update when I get it.
True, i have scene some pics of guys running the standard front shaft and it clears with a lot more room. I have been driving mine for the past several weeks and no interference issue. it clears the cv by about 1/2"
having the slightly longer trans and moving the engine forward that extra amount will help with the firewall on the right side.
I have tons of room between the factory radiator and the water pump fan hub 5 1/2" of it.

There are a few of us running the gen IV/6L trans combos
I have a 2013 5.3 All aluminum with the 6L80E. Not as many cubes as *bloc's but still plenty of fun

I am running a 2010 5.3 aluminum block with the 6L80 as well. The 6 speed pan is narrower than the 4 speed and that helps with front DS clearances.

Last edited:
L92 (6.2L) + 6L80E:
LC9 (5.3L) + 6L80E:

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones I have bookmarked

thanks...I'll have to explore the details (fine print)...

There are a few of us running the gen IV/6L trans combos
I have a 2013 5.3 All aluminum with the 6L80E. Not as many cubes as *bloc's but still plenty of fun

I don't have mine done yet.. those videos are builds from @RockJock82

I'm currently trying to figure out exactly which engine to go with.

Iron 6.0 L96/LY6 360HP/380TQ on RUG Plus 6L90E that I'd have to swap the tailshaft on

Aluminum 6.2L L92 403/415 on premium plus 6L80E for a few hundred extra bucks.

Or, save like $3k and go with an older Iron 5.3 and 4L60/65 making 300hp/320tq

In no way do I "need" more than 300hp, but I'm pretty set on the 6-spd transmission, and to get that I'm close to the 6.0/6.2L cost

I don't have mine done yet.. those videos are builds from @RockJock82

I'm currently trying to figure out exactly which engine to go with.

Iron 6.0 L96/LY6 360HP/380TQ on RUG Plus 6L90E that I'd have to swap the tailshaft on

Aluminum 6.2L L92 403/415 on premium plus 6L80E for a few hundred extra bucks.

Or, save like $3k and go with an older Iron 5.3 and 4L60/65 making 300hp/320tq

In no way do I "need" more than 300hp, but I'm pretty set on the 6-spd transmission, and to get that I'm close to the 6.0/6.2L cost

I'm fairly content with the power of the 5.3 (you can always use more though, right?), but I'd really like to have the 6spd. Some of the jumps between gears are just too much, IMO, in a perfect world.

Anybody knows if one of these 6 speed transmissions can be mated to the 5.3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom