87 FJ60 - "Willie" "The Beast" Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
This started as a "help me spend my money thread, but it's now going to be my build thread. I'm editing this post to include everything I've done to date.

1. Started with Stardust Silver '87 FJ60 that I found in Texas, but was originally a California truck. I wanted to call it "Willie" since it was Stardust Silver and I found it in Texas, but the kids named it the Beast, so there you go.
2. New Master Brake Cylinder and rear break cylinder to fix spongy and leaking brake system.
3. New Oil pain gasket.
4. OME 2.5" springs, shocks and stabilizer (has the lean, so I purchased add a leafs that I still need to install as of (2.10.20)
5. Trailer hitch and trailer brake controller (required in CO if pulling more than 2,500 lbs).
6. All new interior - Carpet from Mudder, Dynamat all over the place, local upholstery shop did seats in Marine Grade vinyl (see below).
7. Rebuilt Carb and all new vacuum lines.
8. New EGR gasket to fix decel backfire
9. Saginaw PS upgrade with kit from George. Took me a couple of times, but I got it right and absolutely love the '79 Caprice Classic feel to my steering
10. Recent fluid change on diffs, transfer case, etc.

BURNT TWO EXHAUST VALVES (3 & 4).. which resulted in.

11. Overpaying for shop to R&R head and send out head to get rebuilt (discussed on another thread - MUDDERS were right i SHOULD HAVE pulled it myself and sent to machine shop) #nomoremechanics. I'm doing all the work on this from here on out.

so.. The mechanic didn't replace interior gasket on thermostat, rendering the t-stat useless. When I called to discuss they were reticent to include that as part of the warranty, "if it's our fault, it's covered, but we won't know until we look at it". I got an idea - when you are testing it out, make sure it gets up to operating temp!. I fixed it for $20.

12. New Radiator (mechanic didn't replace hoses when R&Ring head)
13. Shortly after getting truck back from mechanic, the smog pump seized. the quick drive to my house with no WP resulted in a a cracked lower t-stat housing.

So... I decided to do what I should have done in the first place.

14. New (to me) smog pump.
15. New belts and hoses all round.
16. New (to me) lower t-stat housing
17. Fixed Saginaw connection proper with line that was 17MM on truck side and 5/8 - 20 on pump side)
18. New water pump and fan clutch. Replaced remaining vacuum lines that weren't updated last time around.

--- as of June 8th, 2020 ---

19. Replaced pushrod cover gasket
20. Replaced hacked up air rail with OEM fittings and nozzles.
21. Resurfaced intake/exhaust manifold by hand in my garage.
22. Fixed 4 different exhaust leaks and now it's running so smooth. Details and a lot of meandering and such can be found here - Not Needed (hopefully): Over-priced Machine Shop with experience resurfacing 2F intake/exhaust manifolds

That's where it sits, right now. Lots more on the list, so I figure it's time to make this an official build thread.

------ THIS IS WHERE THE ORIGINAL "WHAT SHOULD I SPEND MONEY ON" THREAD STARTED ---------

So.. what should I spend it on.

It's completely stock, down to the still working smog equipment except for the recently upgraded OME springs and shocks .

The paint is in good enough shape for me, with a nice patina, but still shiny in most places.

The front seats could use refurbishing/replacing as the foam is shot and the left drivers bolster is torn (typical).

So... I'm leaning towards SOR front seat foam and maybe covers. Other than that, I'm coming to the ih8mudders for your suggestions..

Desmog and engine work?
ARB bumper and winch (I do travel solo in somewhat remote areas?
H55f 5 speed?!
Rear swing out bumper so i can get 37 gallon tank?

Help me spend my money!!

Last edited:
:grinpimp:

af27a0c7243b326109bcdd57513e11aa47fc82a596946a3167a7a585a6830a87_1.jpg

It's not sexy but...

Baseline everything.

No need to desmog if everything still works

H55F puts you near over budget on it's own, all said and done.

Bumpers are nice but those should have come before springs
so it depends on what springs you bought.

Do a front knuckle rebuild, do the brakes, flush the radiator
do plugs, wires, cap, rotor, get the carb rebuilt by Jim C,
filters, new oil and gear oil for the Trans/TC/Diffs, Forerunner
wiper mod. maybe new Procar seats or something similar,
replace vacuum lines with silicone lines.

Just generally get everything to where you know it's condition.

And if, as a fellow Durangotang, you need help with your

Yes.

Booze, Women and Horses and then throw the rest away;)

If you run alone and remote, nothing beats a winch in my opinion it can even self right a rollover God forbid that happen. You still have money left to fix the little things and baseline it.

okay. Fixed my avatar. I don't want to bring shame to the four corners. :) I don't have to worry about beer... that comes out of a different pocket! "Like my dad said, I spent all my money on wine and women. The rest I just wasted." Mrs. Rusto doesn't care for that saying much.,

1. I have a pretty good roof rack. Need to tweak it a little bit, but my buddy's welder will take care of that.
2. It could definitely use a carb rebuild and Jim C is where I'd send it. Unfortunately, it's my DD, so I can't be without it for too long. Does Jim do swaps? He sends me a rebuild one, I send him mine? Jim - are you out there? What's his handle on here?
3. I'm definitely going to fix the seats. And probably go to town on the rest of the interior now that I think about it. New rear wheel vinyl covers, the rear cargo carpet and tailgate carpet needs replacing.. I like the idea of sound-proofing some of that while I'm in there. I did that on the cab of my old 84 Toyota Pickup and it made a world of difference.
4. Cap, rotor, plugs and such were done recently. A good fluid change all around is a good idea. Knuckles are in good shape with barely any leakage.
5. Suspension is dialed in, although I could tighten up the steering with new bushings.
6. 4Runner wiper mod... hmm not familar. Will have to dig into that. Maybe replace the windshield while I'm at it. It's cracked top to bottom, but original so I'm on the fence. Should probably replace it.
7. I could add a leaf to the front springs for the bumper. I didn't think I'd be coming into any money for the rig this soon, so I went with the stockish OME lift on front, thinking a good bumper and winch were years down the road.
8. Would absolutely love a H55f, but like it's been mentioned, that just about blows my budget. I don't mind cruising along at 60-65 anyway. Will have to most likely put that off (again...)
9. Headlights are a good idea. Replaced those with Hella on the truck and that was a nice upgrade, too.
10. Why do I need two batteries?
11. Tires have plenty of good tread on them, too.
12. Replacing the vacuum lines is probably a good idea, too.

Ohhh. this is going to be so much fun!!

"sliders" would be #1.... maybe a winch and front bumpter, maybe a rear bumper with spare tire swing out.

A new H55f from American Toyota in Albuquerque with a 25% MUD discount will run about $2,200, excluding tax. Plus you'll need a 5-speed shift lever, 5th gear oiler cup, and 5-speed shift knob. You can take a nice drive and pick it up, not a bad drive since they widened US 550 to 4-lanes. Everything is bolt-on. While you're in there a new rear main seal, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing. Also remanufactured clutch components. Throw in a transfer case re-seal kit with gaskets and seals. If you do the work yourself you could probably get the H55f done for a tad over $3,000, even with buying new/remanufactured OEM parts in Albuquerque. That would leave almost $1,000 available for seat foam and covers, baselining, etc.

Found Jim's contact info. LVM and sent email. It has begun.

$2,200 for a H55f puts that back on the list. I could do the interior up real nice for $1,000... And I could do the work myself on the tranny...

decisions, decisions...

i like the idea of a 2Fe as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom