80 Series H151F 5 Speed Manual Transmission Swap - Includes RHD HDJ81 & LHD FZJ80 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dave, thanks for your insight, it's much appreciated. I have all new clutch components and I'll start mating all this stuff together soon.

On a side note, the engine wiring is likely going to prove to be a large challenge that previously expected. When the 24 valve was removed, the harness was just hacked off at the rear of the engine block, splicing that or finding factory plugs (to add pins to) is going to be a PAIN. The 12 valve 1HD-T harness is fully intact so I may investigate whether or not I can switch the harnesses around.

Contact Garry and see if he's willing to send you a complete harness... he may give you a deal since you bought a lot of stuff from him.

He sent me the early model dash blank by quick mail for free.

One of the great things about a diesel is the minimal wiring needed to get it to run, on the 12 valve it is ONE wire plus the starter cables!!

Do you have the factory manuals for the HDJ80 12 valve, I have them in PDF if it helps?

regards

Dave

How about a PDF manual for the H151F? I'm looking for one.

The H151F repair manual is part of the giant chassis FSM. It can easily be downloaded on the offroad80s forum.

Thanks! Found it, had not heard of that forum before.

It is a good site, I have been a member them for about 6 years, has it's 'ups and down' in activity, so I would not say I am regular.

regards

Dave

Thanks to all who have chimed in here with wisdom. I now have both the 12 valve and 24 valve I'm my shop and I've begun to prep the 24 valve and the H151 for the swap.

Nick, I'm going to start a new swap thread to document the future work on my 96' LHD, I don't want to clutter up this 5 speed thread too badly.

Just a note on your prep work, I assume you will replace the cam belt and tensioner, also replace the water pump AND the core or freeze plug behind the water pump. Unsure why but that particular one tends to get rusty or porous before the rest, it may be because it is so close to the impeller, perhaps you then get some cavitation? Either way not to be missed.

regards

Dave

Dave, thanks for your input, I've actually already started the water pump and timing belt replacement. After driving 22RE's and GM V8's for many years, I had no idea that a water pump replacement could be such a bear.

I didn't know about the freeze plug though, thanks for the tip

The pattern is the same, I believe the inner dimensions are different between gas and Diesel engines however and therefore not comparable

Does anyone know if I can use my A442f bellhousing with the H151f, or do they have different bolt patterns?

The pattern is the same, I believe the inner dimensions are different between gas and Diesel engines however and therefore not comparable

I wouldn't think you could. There probably isn't a hole for the clutch fork and the fork pivot bolt threadolet probably isn't there.

Watching.

RHD and LHD side by side (LHD is new). Though the brackets have a different P/N, I can't visually see any difference. Bolts all line up with the master and captive nut above. The pedals have a different bend, but no reason I can see why you could not use a RHD in a LHD truck, perhaps with a little bending if any clearance issues cropped up.

full

Factory lower bracket is priceless for locating the holes for the shifters. Less than $13 from Japan 4x4! Tons of drilling and grinding to get to this point, but will ensure that the boots will fit right. Have an upper plate to cover up everything, almost done and will post when it is ready.

full

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom