80 Series General Tech and Classifieds (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks, hopefully, I wont need any major work done anytime soon, but I already know there is a lot to do for a basic baseline. I hope to get it out on some trails this summer, and I know that is where the problems will really start to arise

49 Tire, Chris!
Rob, offroadlimo is great mechanic and tech.
Both are great friends and cruiser heads!

They can do anything that you need and check over all the systems for you while there.

Thanks Guys.

Sweet looking 80! Good to see someone else from the Free State of Jones. Grew up there and went to HS there, then was banned for life d/t my predilection for fractious behavior. :flipoff2: Still got inlaws and outlaws in the area, though.

Looking for a blown up 1fz. Let me know if you’ve got one pulled somewhere.

Sweet looking 80! Good to see someone else from the Free State of Jones. Grew up there and went to HS there, then was banned for life d/t my predilection for fractious behavior. :flipoff2: Still got inlaws and outlaws in the area, though.

I messed up and met a woman from here, so I guess I'm stuck here now. I grew up in the Florida Panhandle, and my teenagers ask me on a daily basis why we don't live down there. We actually live in Jasper County and they seem to be pretty lenient on all fractious behavior out here.

The 80 is gonna be a work in progress, obviously, the previous owner has done some work and added a few parts already.

Well, that was sooner than I had hoped. My son just called and said the truck died. He started it and heard a metal on metal sound, immediately shut it off. Now if he tries to stay out he hears the starter but nothing else. The engine does not turn over.
He is 4 hours away in Oxford. Only thing I now to do is to get it towed to the dealership. I wish 49 tire was closer, but is not an option at this time. Are there any shops in Oxford better than the dealership?
Anyone close by that could take Look and give their opinion?

Well, that was sooner than I had hoped. My son just called and said the truck died. He started it and heard a metal on metal sound, immediately shut it off. Now if he tries to stay out he hears the starter but nothing else. The engine does not turn over.
He is 4 hours away in Oxford. Only thing I now to do is to get it towed to the dealership. I wish 49 tire was closer, but is not an option at this time. Are there any shops in Oxford better than the dealership?
Anyone close by that could take Look and give their opinion?
My opinion is you'll pay more and not get a job you'll like at the dealership. Towing shouldn't be terrible, and your repair money will be better spent / you'll get a MUCH better job by Rob at 49 Tire. The main thing is, they'll do it right and will only do what needs to be done, two things you rarely get from a dealership. (By the way, unless it was overheated or run without oil, I'm betting the problem is unlikely to be catastrophic. 1FZs usually don't do that.)

My opinion is you'll pay more and not get a job you'll like at the dealership. Towing shouldn't be terrible, and your repair money will be better spent / you'll get a MUCH better job by Rob at 49 Tire. The main thing is, they'll do it right and will only do what needs to be done, two things you rarely get from a dealership. (By the way, unless it was overheated or run without oil, I'm betting the problem is unlikely to be catastrophic. 1FZs usually don't do that.)
I just spoke with him, and he said the sound was similar to the noise an ignition makes when you try and start a car that has already been started. So I am hoping it is just a starter issue. I had already talked to my wife about towing it to 49tire this morning, but I think it will turn out to be a smaller issue than I was originally thinking.

Time to rebuild your starter. Sounds like the spring that pulls back the starter gear is weak and not pulling back into the starter casing after starting the engine. You can get a rebuild kit from Wits End or a complete rebuilt starter.

Time to rebuild your starter. Sounds like the spring that pulls back the starter gear is weak and not pulling back into the starter casing after starting the engine. You can get a rebuild kit from Wits End or a complete rebuilt starter.
Would this cause the vehicle not start at all any more? Hopefully that is all it is. If so, I will look at a Remanufactured one. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Would this cause the vehicle not start at all any more? Hopefully that is all it is. If so, I will look at a Remanufactured one. Thanks for all the help, everyone.
Yes, the bendix will get stuck and not engage the flexplate to turn over the engine. It can also get stuck and sound like the noise you described. It sounds like you engage the starter on accident after the engine is already running and get a grinding sound.

I just spoke with him, and he said the sound was similar to the noise an ignition makes when you try and start a car that has already been started. So I am hoping it is just a starter issue. I had already talked to my wife about towing it to 49tire this morning, but I think it will turn out to be a smaller issue than I was originally thinking.
We are here if you need us. We keep the Denso starters in stock for 60, 80, 100, GX and 200 series. Alternators as well.

^^^^^^^^^^

Just in case someone local is hunting a head light

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom