77 FJ55 Montana to Florida (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like it’s all there and then some 👍

hopefully...
Check out the shot of the driver's door, interior shot at the bottom.. door stop in bright red... may need new hinges... LOL
but the completeness is a +++++
It does look complete. Great find. My '77 has an October '76 manufacture date. Will be interesting to see this one. Guessing the driver's door is missing the spring from the hinge. One of my rear doors has the same problem. I have the new hinge but it's a pain to change so I haven't done it yet. My seats are also cloth/vinyl but different cloth.
1644591575075.jpeg

Saw that. It looks like a limiting strap. May have, or feared it may, swing open too much and fold against the front fender.(?)🤔
But possibly a factory radio, and is that AC venting below the dash? CB…two spares…exciting!!!
I'm pretty jazzed... owner sent a video w it running...sounds good. I'm going to take some time and first clean her up... no lipstick, just see what she looks like and see how to get her down the road.. front windshield took a hit so that's got to be replaced which is a shame because it's got the chrome trim OEM gasket... my thought is the chrome trim gasket is unobtanium plus... it has a brake line leak, which is within my skillset to repair... as is the knuckle rebuild if needed, TRE swap. Midgainc is lined up tom do the hinges... and the rear window is inop... I think she's Sophia Loren, (possible name??) just waiting on the sideline in a bathrobe... and....and...and... lucky to get this and I know it...
grins

It does look complete. Great find. My '77 has an October '76 manufacture date. Will be interesting to see this one. Guessing the driver's door is missing the spring from the hinge. One of my rear doors has the same problem. I have the new hinge but it's a pain to change so I haven't done it yet. My seats are also cloth/vinyl but different cloth.
View attachment 2921414
Are those OEM? I like that look... I talked to SOR about a year ago and they show NA on our 76-80's front seat. But will do 'made to order' front seats for these.. possibly doing a cloth insert like yours ?? Nice... I may put the new ones on my red/white, and move my red/white to Sophia.. you still in the sand??

Yes that damn windshield gasket is not to be found anywhere; at least not by me. I have some ideas how to possibly make one and have invested in some materials but will be hard to tell if it works until I remove my windshield.

Are those OEM? I like that look... I talked to SOR about a year ago and they show NA on our 76-80's front seat. But will do 'made to order' front seats for these.. possibly doing a cloth insert like yours ?? Nice... I may put the new ones on my red/white, and move my red/white to Sophia.. you still in the sand??
I assume they are OEM but not sure how to be 100% positive. I already spoke to an upholstery shop and they can replicate the material very closely. The story on my pig is that Redline Cruisers bought it as a 25+ year barn find (The for sale ad is still in the mud classifieds). The odo was showing around 50k at the time and if you look at the armrests, floor vinyl, etc. it's entirely plausible that the odo has not rolled. It went through two owners in South Carolina in relatively quick succession before I bought it. Neither of them put much mileage on the rig. Unfortunately a couple of years in the South Carolina humidity was not good for keeping the rust under control so my plan, for better or worse, is to do a complete frame off.

I assume they are OEM but not sure how to be 100% positive. I already spoke to an upholstery shop and they can replicate the material very closely. The story on my pig is that Redline Cruisers bought it as a 25+ year barn find (The for sale ad is still in the mud classifieds). The odo was showing around 50k at the time and if you look at the armrests, floor vinyl, etc. it's entirely plausible that the odo has not rolled. It went through two owners in South Carolina in relatively quick succession before I bought it. Neither of them put much mileage on the rig. Unfortunately a couple of years in the South Carolina humidity was not good for keeping the rust under control so my plan, for better or worse, is to do a complete frame off.
If you ever get the bug to see if those are OEM (mine are not), look at the underside of the seat and see if you can determine if the seat belts that bolt to the floor behind the seat ever came up and went thru the foam and bottom seat cover. Some pics of these indicate the seat belts actually came up thru the front seat bottom... Mine are like yours, they rest on the front seat after coming up between the backrest and the seat bottom... I had my seat out for floorboard repair (thanks BobM) and discovered that yeah, mine came up thru the foam of the seat bottom when new... but they're 55's, who can explain all the variances.. either way I like those seats..

If you ever get the bug to see if those are OEM (mine are not), look at the underside of the seat and see if you can determine if the seat belts that bolt to the floor behind the seat ever came up and went thru the foam and bottom seat cover. Some pics of these indicate the seat belts actually came up thru the front seat bottom... Mine are like yours, they rest on the front seat after coming up between the backrest and the seat bottom... I had my seat out for floorboard repair (thanks BobM) and discovered that yeah, mine came up thru the foam of the seat bottom when new... but they're 55's, who can explain all the variances.. either way I like those seats..
THere's a newly listed 1978 FJ55 under 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser, its got a pic of the front seat that shows the belts coming up thru the seat...

Interesting. Here are the part number changes from around 75 to 78. I will try to look under my seat for evidence. It looks like there was a change in the middle of the '77 year model which could have included the seatbelt route (or not?).

70011CUSHION ASSY, NO.1 SEAT
71410-90362(09/1975 - 02/1977)1
71410-90365(03/1977 - 06/1977)1
71410-90368(07/1977 - 12/1978)1
70012BACK ASSY, NO.1 SEAT
71430-90363(09/1975 - 02/1977)1
71430-90366(03/1977 - 12/1978)1
70013COVER ASSY, NO.1 SEAT CUSHION
71071-90364(09/1975 - 02/1977)1
71071-90367(03/1977 - 06/1977)1
71071-90370(07/1977 - 12/1978)1
70014COVER ASSY, NO.1 SEAT BACK
71073-90358(09/1975 - 02/1977)1
71073-90361(03/1977 - 12/1978)

Interesting. Here are the part number changes from around 75 to 78. I will try to look under my seat for evidence. It looks like there was a change in the middle of the '77 year model which could have included the seatbelt route (or not?).

70011CUSHION ASSY, NO.1 SEAT
71410-90362(09/1975 - 02/1977)1
71410-90365(03/1977 - 06/1977)1
71410-90368(07/1977 - 12/1978)1
70012BACK ASSY, NO.1 SEAT
71430-90363(09/1975 - 02/1977)1
71430-90366(03/1977 - 12/1978)1
70013COVER ASSY, NO.1 SEAT CUSHION
71071-90364(09/1975 - 02/1977)1
71071-90367(03/1977 - 06/1977)1
71071-90370(07/1977 - 12/1978)1
70014COVER ASSY, NO.1 SEAT BACK
71073-90358(09/1975 - 02/1977)1
71073-90361(03/1977 - 12/1978)
Ahhhhh.... thanks... interesting..

Well for once I was able to just walk down to the shop and look at my pig. Based on what I am seeing the covers are OEM and came from the factory with the belts routed between the seat bottom and back. I am guessing the change to through the bottom cushion was made in either 03 or 07/77.

E25530E0-60F6-43EC-ADF7-FA55B4168197.jpeg

BEB210B9-BBBA-4F87-8AA9-ADF6F8901178.jpeg

Last edited:
hopefully...
Check out the shot of the driver's door, interior shot at the bottom.. door stop in bright red... may need new hinges... LOL
but the completeness is a +++++
OK.. here's one for the SME's...
my Florida bound 77 fj55 came with the electric window switch, dash, and tailgate operable... looking at photos, a PO prior to seller installed a manual window crank, that works...
So... HTF did that happen ??? Grins.... I like it... not certain I'm going to keep or go back to electric.. can't see how they both work..????

THoughts?

PS can't get the pic to transfer... but it's not in the OEM crank location ... and the electric tailgate keyed switch is in the correct position for the USA models...

my Florida bound 77 fj55 came with the electric window switch, dash, and tailgate operable... looking at photos, a PO prior to seller installed a manual window crank, that works...
So... HTF did that happen ??? Grins.... I like it... not certain I'm going to keep or go back to electric.. can't see how they both work..????

THoughts?

PS can't get the pic to transfer... but it's not in the OEM crank location ... and the electric tailgate keyed switch is in the correct position for the USA models...
Anyone ever done an electric to manual changeover..? Advice?

THoughts?

So to be clear, the electric still works but it also has a manual option?

no on the electric...seller says electric is non functional.. albeit other markets have both.. maybe someone who has a history w this will provide some SME perspective... interested in getting it and looking to see how they did it... I may be surprised and find the plastic gear is broken and the motor is still there... replace the gear, and both the electric and manual work... but I'm thinking too good to be true..

no on the electric...seller says electric is non functional.. albeit other markets have both.. maybe someone who has a history w this will provide some SME perspective... interested in getting it and looking to see how they did it... I may be surprised and find the plastic gear is broken and the motor is still there... replace the gear, and both the electric and manual work... but I'm thinking too good to be true..
I looked at a few European and General countries diagrams and they show the option for one or the other, but not both at the same time. At least not in the diagrams that I have looked at. I'm not saying it isn't possible; I just haven't found it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom