77 FJ40 - Eliminating Points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

overton

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.myfj40.com
I want to update a 77 FJ40 and eliminate the points. I see Marks Off Road sells a Pertronix Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit that fits 1974-1977 FJs. This unit can als be run with the stock coil, but for maximum performance gain, the Flamethrower coil [010-30EA] is recommended.

Any suggestions or guidance would be of interest.

Thanks!
G.

Late model distributors '79+ do not use points either. If you can find someone parting out, I would also grab the coil, ignition control, and the dented side cover.

My USA '77 has points... have been considering the later model distributor with dished side cover.
:meh:

Late model distributors '79+ do not use points either.

77 shouldn't have points? is it a south American truck or something?

'77 and earlier has points, '78+ is electronic.

Pertronix seems to get rave reviews. The alternative is to get a '78 small-cap dizzy if you can find one, or an later large-cap dizzy and matching dented side cover.

Or a Trollhole electronic dizzy

@brian

I had seen quite a few issues with people and HEI... Maybe there's so many now... Or cheap Chinese knock offs ... Bad internals now made in China :meh:

Just seems like HEI issues pop up every so often

IMHO If it were me I wouldn't do HEI

Either get a late model 40 dizzy even one from a 60 series, or a trollhole. I dig my trollhole no problems.

My 78 non us had points. I went pertronix and never looked back. Starts and runs perfect every time.
I carry a spare set of points in the glove box "just in case". They cost <$10. and I can set them with a set of matches.

Or a Trollhole electronic dizzy

@brian

I had seen quite a few issues with people and HEI... Maybe there's so many now... Or cheap Chinese knock offs ... Bad internals now made in China :meh:

Just seems like HEI issues pop up every so often

IMHO If it were me I wouldn't do HEI

i already have an old hei in it...like 20 years in it. it runs like a raped ape. i also have a pertronic dissy and the all trimmings, purchased the better part of 10 years ago, if not a few more years...also picked a 60 series dissy and dented side cover some years ago....been thinking about getting rid of the hei awhile, you could say.
it's looking like the pertronics is going in it while it's parked this winter.

I run a TH electronic dizzy with the '77 coil (igniter not wired), on my recent rebuilt '86 2F that sits in my '77....I have the '86 large cap dizzy and coil ready to install, but I don't plan on messing with the TH dizzy that is working as it supposed too. Should the TH decide to crap out, in goes the large cap Toyota unit. Heck, I'z already have the dented side cover installed. :hillbilly:

I put a Pertronix via Mark in my dizzy. Works great. The later Toyota dizzies seem to be great too, but easier to just drop the Pertronix into the one you have than try to track down a motor side cover and the newer dizzy.

Just an fyi - if you are considering going with a Pertronix - I'd pull the current stock unit out and measure out it's end play and runout , it may be worn to the point it's just time for a replacement . Personally , I'd run the 60 series unit as the shaft runs on bearings - other versions are just bushings and they do wear over time . I have the Trollhole unit - no complaints at all and it's a good inexpensive option .
Sarge

16 years on my pertronix with no issues. I do keep the points, ignitor and stock coil in a plastic bag under the seat just in case but have never needed them. Easy upgrade and no more points to gap. Good luck! ☺

I had a Pertronix for a day, don't leave the key "on" for 30 seconds with the engine off...it'll burn up, ask me how I know.

then I installed a Chevy HEI from a late 70's GM inline-6 car. worked awesome. there's some info on 'Mud on how it's done. If you get all AC Delco parts, there should be no issue with parts quality.

I really like the big cap fj60 dizzy, ignitor and dented side plate, did this on my 64 fj45(w 2f) and love it

I've been running an HEI for over ten years, never a problem, but I've been looking at changing it out lately because of its size. Other changes have made having that oversized distributor a PITA.

I still like its reliability, it's easy repairs, easy hookup, and its tach pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom