72 FJ55 rebuild begins.....I'm going to have questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you have the original aluminum ID plate in the engine bay, the color code #s are there

Yeah I've got both plates from the engine bay but I don't remember seeing any paint codes on them.... Anyone got an original orange white pig could you check your engine bay plate for the orange code? I'll check mine later tonight when I get home.

Yeah I've got both plates from the engine bay but I don't remember seeing any paint codes on them.... Anyone got an original orange white pig could you check your engine bay plate for the orange code? I'll check mine later tonight when I get home.

If your color is Pollux Orange then the code is 304 based on the fj40 color chart. Link below.

fj40 color reference chart

These guys will sell you a small can of touch up paint and you can test the color on the inside of your gas door to confirm.

Does anyone know what the paint codes are for my truck? I think the orange is called Polux Orange 304? But that paint code chart says 1972 was only solid orange, but my truck I'm fairly sure was factory two tone? So I dont know what the white color is?

It doesn't seem like the color code charts are entirely accurate for early Pigs - before they put the color codes on the plate in the engine bay...

Yeah my engine bay plates don't have the color code on them. So I guess it's polux orange?

Does anyone make a rebuild kit or gaskets for the factory winch or am I making my own? It works fine.

The first coat is rust bullet, same thing I used on my floors it's invincible, just don't get it on your toe nail or in your hair. I'll coat it black next.

IMG_20200816_164030.jpg

IMG_20200816_164021.jpg

IMG_20200816_164017.jpg

It's funny I totally already bought the frame extensions didn't even remember. I found them and ground off those stupid factory rivets.

Glad I am not the only that does that! Going through stuff in the garage and you're all like "Wow, I forgot I bought that!"

Ah thanks. Yes the door plate is there no color code on that either.

So I've got the rear axle apart. Is it worth putting a LSD in it while I've got it apart or is it too weak to bother with? If so I assume early FJ40 parts are the same.

I have LSD in the back of our LX, I love it. She behaves like a lady in the parking lots and climbs like a billy goat. No switches to flip or knobs to turn, no hurky jerky click-click-click in the parking lot.

Not sure what LSD is available for these?

I have an Aussie in the back of the 40 (click-click-click), and an ARB in the front of the Pig. One of these days I need to see if I can move it to the rear.

Ah thanks. Yes the door plate is there no color code on that either.

So I've got the rear axle apart. Is it worth putting a LSD in it while I've got it apart or is it too weak to bother with? If so I assume early FJ40 parts are the same.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with your Pig ultimately? Do you foresee some wheeling in its future?
Do you want a compressor for on-board air? ARBs are a slippery slope...

I have ARBs in my H1, they work great but I'm not trying to wheel this thing. Im trying my best do just do a stock rebuild and leave it alone but my modifying nature is on my shoulder yelling at me. It's already apart! Put something in there! Hah.

So from what I'm gathering I am just kind of SOL on a parking brake cable, speedo cable, oil pump, and body mounts. Any thoughts on those items? I know I can substitute 4runner mounts but they dont look the same.....

they dont look the same
IF you are wanting NOS or OEM on any of those parts then yes you are SOL unless that one guy is digging through his stash and stumbles across the one part you are looking for and post it for sale in that one place you happen to be looking.
55's are always going to be a compromise between what you wish you could get or do and what you need to do to get the job done. Most of us that have finished projects embrace this at some point in our build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom