72 fj40 revival after sitting for 41 years

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a thread from Frt end section in the FAQ's, which is at the top of this section.

 
As I wait on my rear brakes I think I'll be pulling the oil pan tonight to get the sludge out. When I did my first oil change there was some oil sludge in the bottom end. I just drained it and refilled with fresh filter. Once I go to fill it up tho is there any additive I should be adding to the oil? I know new oil is a bit different from old oil but how much will it matter?
 
Don't toss those old brake shoes, they look basically new. The silver lining of having a seized slave cylinder I guess.
I don't throw Toyota parts away 😭 I only ordered new ones cause they were cheap and one of those "ah well since I'm here" ill inevitably get another 40 that's in worse shape and need brakes eventually
 
Well I got my rear brakes on and replaced a bunch of hard lines. The soft lines will have to get replaced as well but I didn't get that far. Front brakes drag hard so I'll have to look into them in the future along with rear wheel bearings.
Next was oil pan had a bunch of sludge in the bottom and low oil pressure.
IMG_0379.webp
IMG_0378.webp

Drained, cleaned pan, checked pump, new gasket, reinstalled, new filter, vr1 oil. Helped a bit but I think I'll be replacing the pump. Can't get a 1f pump from my short research but I have plenty of 2f pumps and pans so hopefully I can just swap.

Now that I can drive it around the block I learned it needs a clutch... I don't have a trans jack for my lift and as a might as well I pulled the trans cover.
IMG_0377.webp

Cleaned it up
IMG_0376.webp

Barely..
anyway I have a new Asian clutch on the way but I also have a Toyota car show on oct 17th I wanna take this and the yellow one to so now it's just fix anyway possible to be able to drive there.

IMG_0375.webp

Wonderful cage to lift from
I'll be putting in a used clutch disc unless my new one shows up very soon. Don't worry I'll pull it back out and put the new one in... someday.

Thoughts on sound deadening? I did it to my Miata and I liked it but I cared very little about that car when I did it and I care more about the longevity of this. Any other suggestions past the sticky foil sheets to lay down?
 
I was able to get an OE clutch from Amazon for my 2F. Best price around. Quick shipping.
Hate to say it.
 
I hadn't thought to check Amazon, I'll go look now, I just got prime too! The Asian one I got was 80$ shipped. That was parts geek and they are only one state over so sometimes a good turnaround
I won’t use Parts Geek since they tried to charge me $15 to ship a $4 nut the size of a nickel.
 
I won’t use Parts Geek since they tried to charge me $15 to ship a $4 nut the size of a nickel.
I've had plenty of times they have done that to me, and returning parts is terrible to do with them. But at 80$ for the clutch and claimed Asian I figured I might as well just do it.

Not that I'm just looking for the cheapest one I can find but at 80$ I wasn't going to look much further
 
I've had plenty of times they have done that to me, and returning parts is terrible to do with them. But at 80$ for the clutch and claimed Asian I figured I might as well just do it.

Not that I'm just looking for the cheapest one I can find but at 80$ I wasn't going to look much further
Hope it’s legit, sounds a wee too good of a deal.
 
I'll update once I get it, I did think the same thing but I have gotten lucky in the past ordering cheap things that turn out to be pricing mistakes 🤞🤞
Get two!
A lifetime supply.
 
Where is the show on the 17th?

Let me know if that link actually takes you to their page, it's in reading pa I've never been to it and I don't have any affiliation with them but I like Toyotas so I wanna go see
 
I'll give a better update later but I need help, my front brakes are currently acting like there's a check valve in the line, I push the pedal and it hold the brake on, comes off just fine if I crack a line but sticks on?? Disc brakes. New master cylinder. Any ideas??
 
Wrong residual valve in the new master cylinder?
I just found it, it's the little rod in the brake booster. The rod in the brake booster I took out originally is hacksawed shorter?? But then I have another but the threads were no good from rust so I chased them with a tap... then dropped it on the ground and snapped the tap in it now I'm upset 😭
 
Back
Top Bottom