62 40 rear door/tailgate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3_puppies

SILVER Star
Threads
found this 62 for sale somewhat locally. 62 FST no bows or top. should it have a tailgate? currently has half doors.
P9230030.jpg
P9230028.jpg
P9230029.jpg

That sure is a FST

Door strap eyelets
FST door hinges
Common sence fasteners around the sides
Early cruiser FST door openings
Darth Vader helmet interior light
Welded on windshield FST channel
And I think I can see the b piller FST hardwear

Should it have a tailgate is debateable ... I say no

It has the original stamped bezel ... Very Cool!

However... Since it has no bows... You would need to fab some... And a bigger minus with early FST is the lack of people making a canvas.... Nobody

Last edited:
Phil in MT has a FJ25 soft top with barn doors. I believe if came from south of the border. The VIN plate on the firewall is in Spanish. I have seen factory literature of soft tops with barn doors. I picked up a tub off of what was suppose to be a 63. The frame went to TLC to use on a Icon. There was a insurance card in the glove box with the VIN. It was a 62 soft top with barn doors. How much they asking? Original engine/transmission? What PTO does it have OEM or Ramsey? Johnny is right about the soft top. Bows aren't impossible to make but the factory doors are tougher. I'll still hoping someone makes the canvas, I just bought another set of early bows last month.

Like John and Johnny already said, the early style FST didn't always come with a tailgate like later FST.....

And that is a very cool rig, I thought I was done with buying cruisers but I'd love to have that one... it looks very original and unmolested... very much a "survivor" in my eyes :beer:

It does look very original. Not sure are those aftermarket wipers. Biggest problem I see is a PO decided to drill a hole in the rear crossmember to install the trailer light socket.:frown: Not sure why it was so common to install it in the crossmember or the rear sill. Bolting it to the bottom of the crossmember it's still not as low as the hitch. Even if it does get damaged it's a cheap fix.:meh:

The pintle hook was standard on the early soft top models. But would it have a rear step with barn doors?:hmm:

While soft top model with barn doors were only imported here in the early years other markets got them for many years. Possibly until the end of the 40 series. The ambulance style soft top doors were available in the early FJ40s but we never go any. Has anyone ever seen a 63 soft top with barn doors here in the US?

Does it have a centered rear end? And ditto on what transmission, top shift or side shift 3 speed? Also, what heater does it have?

It's got the grill that doesn't say Toyota too.

Curious only one reflector on the passenger's side and on the back or driver's side. Also it had the custom front bumper of the day, heavy channel iron. Still has drive plates. Possible ranch vehicle? Right part of the country. If you look the upper part of the rear license plate bracket is bolt on not spot welded. The footman loops on the barn door are bolted on also so. Just another thing that points to this being original.

This is so much more complete then mine. But I have collected almost all the parts for mine. Anyone making canvas yet?

I called Phil right after I got home, he didn't want another.

Yes on the centered rear diff, ramsey PTO, haven't picked it up yet, not sure if I will.

The guy who has it is, bought it at an auction/sale and he is just flipping it. I was in good clothes and didn't want to crawl all around it.

Hey 3-puppies PLEASE give us a frame number. Thank's in advance, John

Looking at a old service bulletin I can tell you the VIN will be lower than 2FJ40~16593, from then on there would be a ask tray in the dash.

Funny the bulletin was under the electrical section. Dated 10-4-62. Main reason for the bulletin was so dealers wouldn't report the trailer light socket and pintle as missing or stolen. They were no longer longer included in the package (soft top?).

From 2FJ40~16618 Improved front vacuum shifting unit.

Haven't been able to find any info on when the transmission changed or when the center rear diff ended.

From 2FJ40~16042 Power take-off drive gears are installed in the transfer cse for original Power take-off.

Guessing this was to improved sales of the OEM winch over the Ramsey winch which was also offered to the dealers. This way the transfer case didn't need to be pulled apart to install the PTO gear for Toyota winch.

From 2FJ40~16628 Defrost nozzles.

This I'm sure was to work with the Eaton heaters they offered the dealers. Just to bad it wasn't until mid 65 with the vent in the windshield went away that you could fold the windshield down without removing the defrost nozzles (vents).

I have a 61 with a vin of 1FJ40~108XX (would have to check the title for the last two digits) and it still had four of the five FJ25 carry over thinks that were gone by 62. Of the the ones I can see this doesn't have any.

Here are the five item

1. Inlet on the driver's front apron to the oil bath air cleaner. My later 61 didn't have it.

2. Same front bumper as the FJ25.

3. Large gas cap

4. Front and rear arm on the rear jumps seats. While it had two in 61 they were shorter than the FJ25.

5. Ribs in the rear floor were all straight not the like the later ones that the two outside ribs formed a U.

Guessing the screws in the back were just flat head and not phillips. Also going to guess it still has the original transmission, transfer case and engine.

I also noticed that we have another 100 series owner. You need to get on your work clothes then make another trip for VIN and pictures.:idea:

:cheers:
John

I also noticed that we have another 100 series owner. You need to get on your work clothes then make another trip for VIN and pictures.:idea:

:cheers:
John

John, lots of info, it's the wife's LX, you'd think I'd know to throw a set of coveralls in when we go somewhere. Atleast she's getting used to screaching to a halt and doing a quick U turn to look at a rig. Not letting the location or the price out just yet.
John, I also still have those parts for you.
I had a 63 with a centered rear diff.
Not sure when I'll get back that way, as it's snowing and mid 20's and it's over a pass to get there, 1 hour on good roads.
Paul

John, lots of info, it's the wife's LX, you'd think I'd know to throw a set of coveralls in when we go somewhere. Atleast she's getting used to screaching to a halt and doing a quick U turn to look at a rig. Not letting the location or the price out just yet.
John, I also still have those parts for you.
I had a 63 with a centered rear diff.
Not sure when I'll get back that way, as it's snowing and mid 20's and it's over a pass to get there, 1 hour on good roads.
Paul

Don't know about coveralls but always carry something I can throw on the ground if nothings else to change a flat tire. When it's a 115 degrees outside no way can you get down on the pavement without burning yourself. Even with AAA I'm not going to wait a hour for someone to come change a tire. I would think it would be the same in super cold weather. I do have a few of those lightweight bunny suits for painting, those take up no room.:idea: Your are lucky I already have a early FJ40 soft top tub or your PM box would be full. As for those parts I think I sent you a PM a couple months back. It has been over two years I guess we should get the deal finished.

Your killing me saying it's snowing and that poor old cruiser with no cover. I have gone to great lengths over the years to protect my projects. Nothing sits out in the rain, snow or sun. You really need to make a trip over there if nothing else to throw a tarp over it. That's a survivor that needs to be saved.
Img_0483.jpg
cruisers%20covered%20018.jpg
cruisers%20covered%20017.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom