Builds 6.0 Vortec LQ9 - FJ60 Engine Swap - Old Blue's Heart Transplant (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 1803312

If you zoom in on the rear hub you may find a solution to your desires ;)
Well maybe after your bank account recovers from the swap.

Yeah. The old account has seen better days. But theres plenty more mods on the way when it recovers and I have the urge to wrench again. Need a little break.

Heading down South to Puerta Vallarta in a couple weeks to “Re-Coup” Heh. Prob wont help on the account front - but.... Senoritas & Margaritas has a nice ring to it right about now. Well maybe just margaritas - the Mrs. may have a say in the Senoritas part. :hillbilly::beer:

Last edited:
Was it a nice size Ram?
I’ve got Elk hunting in November. I hope to take my cruiser too. Haven’t driven it since January before the diesel swap.

Yeah Nice Ram. Scored 164. Good luck on the Elk!

Do you have pictures?

Yeah wasnt sure if there are sensitive folks that get offended on Mud. But if ya drive a FJ - Figure ya can’t be too sensitive. It was my father’s tag. Here in Nevada.

C3D98C8B-FA6B-41FA-BD27-89AC66529530.jpeg

DF63C24E-BB85-4A9B-8E9E-351AC3CF16EA.jpeg

Think most of us are used to it here and there is no real "sensitivity" like you might find on other forums.

So been meaning to ask, is your truck actually up in Tahoe with you or elsewhere? Thought you mentioned a few pages back that it was like an hour away. Will be headed up to So Lake the weekend of the 21st to mtb and have beers afterwards, would love to see it. Will most likely have BeBe there with me.

Think most of us are used to it here and there is no real "sensitivity" like you might find on other forums.

So been meaning to ask, is your truck actually up in Tahoe with you or elsewhere? Thought you mentioned a few pages back that it was like an hour away. Will be headed up to So Lake the weekend of the 21st to mtb and have beers afterwards, would love to see it. Will most likely have BeBe there with me.

As of right now the truck is located in Reno (Verdi) @ my parents. It was the only spot I had available to wrench. I’m not sure if it will be back in South Lake by the 21st. It should be. However, I’m catching a plane to Mexico for some R&R on the 20th-29th. Then I leave for Elk Hunt November 4th - 13th. We’ll have to link up eventually. We’re practically neighbors. :beer:

Love to say I’ve been the enjoying the FJ. But havent gotten to. Messing around with this damn P0171 code. Too lean on fuel bank 1.

To much air or not enough fuel.

Since its only on bank 1 - that eliminates fuel delivery issues. (Fuel pump, fuel filter, regulator, etc). Otherwise it would be on both banks - both sides of motor. I checked the Fuel pressure just for s***s and giggles anyways - 59 PSI.

Checked all of the driver side injectors with voltmeter. All are good.

Next up MAF - air leaks in the intake unit itself. Would mean both banks would be lean. So ruled that out. Checked for vaccum leaks on driver side, replaced PCV valve and hose. Did nothing. Dont see or hear any leaks.

Swapped 02 sensors from one side to the other to check & see if i had a faulty 02. The driver side is the same regardless of which one I use. So not a 02 sensor problem.

Pretty much leaves a clogged fuel injector or a air leak in the intake manifold gasket. Pain in the ass. Anyone wanna buy a FJ? Heh

Intake gasket is easy dude, 30-40 minutes tops.

Intake gasket is easy dude, 30-40 minutes tops.

Yeah - its a brand new gasket. I just dont know what is causing it to run lean. Its kinda like pick something and take it apart at this point. Just want to drive the damn thing. :bang:

Sprayed starter fluid all around the gasket to see if RPMs would spike. Nothing. Who knows.

Have you checked/ cleaned your throttle body....

Have you checked/ cleaned your throttle body....

I would assume if something was wrong throttle body wise that it would produce a lean condition on both sides of the motor. I am just getting a lean condition on the driver side. P0171. If i popped both codes P0171 & P0174 then it would be both. Fuel could be an issue if it was both. Also air intake / MAF and throttle body (im assuming?) would pop both codes instead of one.

only thing i can think of other than a vaccum leak is a clogged fuel injector. Checked em all with a volt meter and listened to em with a stethoscope. They’re all firing and functioning as they should (unless they are clogged). Took a look at em tonight - they dont look clogged with the naked eye but will have to check their spray pattern tomorrow.

Intake gaskets look fine. Unless something wasnt seated right. But......

Running out of things to check. Theres not exactly many vaccum hoses on this thing and they all seam tip top. Typically you can hear a vaccum leak. My long term fuel trim on bank one is maxed out at +25% so it should a blatantly obvious condition. But no such luck. Scratching my head.

If RPMs are high the Long Term Fuel Trim drops about 5%. Which should indicate air getting in the system somewhere on driver side. If RPMs increase and Fuel Trim increases that would signify a fuel issue. Which it doesnt have and would also pop both codes for both sides.

Starting to think its a bigger issue. But no idea what that could be.

Fuel injectors are something to look into. I had the stock injectors reflowed/tested on the average mileage L92 I bought for my Troopy. All injectors were wildly out of spec, one of which was barely flowing and needed to be replaced. Funny since I reflowed my '87 BMW injectors when I bought it and all were well within spec. New Bosch vs Old Bosch.

Cycled the injectors with brake cleaner to check for clogs. 3 of em sprayed correctly. One wouldnt produce a drip. That means one cylinder is getting zero fuel and should be the reason why I’m getting a lean code as motor isnt getting fuel to that cylinder. Off to grab an injector. Hope this resolves it. If not, i’m glad I caught the issue regardless.

Make shift fuel injector de-clogger.

A68CCF58-2D1C-4F3E-8C44-ADA2B46234DD.jpeg

Problem Solved

2CA777CB-F446-4A0F-985B-E038D8667D37.png

Decided to celebrate and go get gas. And next problem happens. This motor is cursed.

2F82D1D6-3E4B-42DB-890F-E9422DB672E3.jpeg

Leaking out of this cheap valve I put on. Garbage. Now waiting for a trailer.

8B82208F-E456-4995-9C7C-FEA521CEDD2D.jpeg

Yep, that’s why I builtinenout of stainless steel.
You towed it home? Lol, you can’t just top off the water?

Yep, that’s why I builtinenout of stainless steel.
You towed it home? Lol, you can’t just top off the water?

Not when it spews half the coolant out in 2 minutes. That puddle is after i moved it.

Got this for a swap i am doing. Its nice has a treaded spot in it for temp sensor if needed. Think it was 85 bucks not plastic no valve to switch for summer winter. Maybe @cruisermatt could make you one like he made might be cheaper not sure how much he had in parts and time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom