Builds 6.0 Vortec LQ9 - FJ60 Engine Swap - Old Blue's Heart Transplant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me three... will be headed up to the No Shore to family cabin to check on things. Planning to take my 60 so that I can test out the new JimC carb on the hills.

Me three... will be headed up to the No Shore to family cabin to check on things. Planning to take my 60 so that I can test out the new JimC carb on the hills.
Now I’m really want a mountain cabin!

We got a decent amount over the weekend with another system stacking up in a day or two. Unfortunately it was another example of bi-polar NV weather...
- was snowing and freezing in the morning (like in the low teens)
- then wanted to rain for a bit
- then wanted to snow for a bit more
- then sunshine broke through the clouds
- then it drizzled for a bit while the sun was shining
- then it started to snow again, this time heavily
- then it was snowing and raining at the same time
- then it warmed up and the sun started to shine
- then the dry small stuff started to fall
- then it warmed up but was overcast

The wife and I were working the city's monthly wine walk (our salon participates) and we saw everything from people in parkas and heavy winter gear to a group of people wandering around in pjs (the santa crawl was later that night) and complaining how hot they were. However, Tahoe did get hammered which was nice, never made it to the cabin though, was looking at a GX470 to possibly replace the wife's 4Runner.

We got a decent amount over the weekend with another system stacking up in a day or two. Unfortunately it was another example of bi-polar NV weather...
- was snowing and freezing in the morning (like in the low teens)
- then wanted to rain for a bit
- then wanted to snow for a bit more
- then sunshine broke through the clouds
- then it drizzled for a bit while the sun was shining
- then it started to snow again, this time heavily
- then it was snowing and raining at the same time
- then it warmed up and the sun started to shine
- then the dry small stuff started to fall
- then it warmed up but was overcast

The wife and I were working the city's monthly wine walk (our salon participates) and we saw everything from people in parkas and heavy winter gear to a group of people wandering around in pjs (the santa crawl was later that night) and complaining how hot they were. However, Tahoe did get hammered which was nice, never made it to the cabin though, was looking at a GX470 to possibly replace the wife's 4Runner.

Haha. Typical Reno/Tahoe region. If you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes. Upper elevations have a bunch of snow. Great start to the year. Should provide a good base for resorts and back country activities.

Figured I’d post a few pics of the Desert Ram hunt mentioned. Old Blue didn’t accomodate me on this one but she’ll be on all future endevors. This is on Nelis Airforce Bombing range (AKA Area 51) - Yes - you need clearance to hunt it.

Waiting on the mothership

414B29FB-477D-4C56-BFFC-0504B9684C58.jpeg

Some Local Yocal

4A1222BB-3501-4800-96ED-F09629A7D352.jpeg

Desert Life

6C935884-8584-4F00-A3F3-FF5447C7F09D.jpeg

47 Miles Hiked - Hundreds Off-Road driven. Fast asleep with eyes open.

3A8E80A7-F549-48ED-A7CB-6155EE7F2273.jpeg

Chasing a Monster - The monster is the one on the right (for non-hunters)

7B2AFB3D-7D6B-4C82-B662-D8E71C32F3EB.jpeg

Could never get on him. The tag holder is still chasing him. After 10 days I had to return home unfortanelty.

Sorry - No Alien Sightings

Last edited:
Well its officially winter here in Tahoe. Figured New motor should be complemented with a interior overhaul. My truck needs it bad.

This Includes New

Carpet Kit
Seats
Side Panels
Sound Proofing
Center Console
A Shiny Ham Radio
and altho not interior - Brighter Headlights

Any suggestion or experience with items that are worthwhile? I'm sure I'll scour Mud for a bit. But happy to hear any items/gear people have been pleased with.

Making sure Old Blue gets around.

Gentle off-road breakin

7D3D0FD1-845F-4893-81DF-88EAAFE9B555.jpeg

Hauling new Paddleboards (should get a roof rack)

Disclaimer - Could of used the company truck - but driving her with a LS is too much fun.

1B6FA980-BEAC-4FB7-8D2A-F8D27EB8D2F9.jpeg

Snow = Donut Happy :grinpimp:

1DB0C46D-7214-4F64-B2F9-86F63FA60D53.jpeg

Last edited:
Had to go Powder her nose. 6 hour accumulation. Cooler if she was wheeling, but lemme tell you a story that involves a 10 car driveway, a shovel and feet of snow - Almost a full time job. :meh:

Quick update : Everything is running smooth on the fresh motor with one exception - I believe I have a rear main seal leak. It’s not a major leak - but a leak. Food for thought - if ya buy a junkyard motor/transmission package already together - It may be worth throwing a new rear main seal in. Luckily mine isn’t too bad, but will have to be addressed at some point. Other than that she’s running tip top. 2k miles on her so far.

Also I wanted to post a vid of how the Borla
Muffler sounds. Never got around to it. Sounds better in person, but you get the jist.

While technically this is a motor swap thread. I’m going to turn it into a generalized build thread now that the motor is complete. While I don’t expect the rest of the build to go as quickly as the motor did, every now and then I’ll be posting up some progress on various aspects.

So here’s the plan.

Phase I. Motor Swap ✅

Phase II. Interior

- New Dash✅

- New Center Console ✅

- New Carpet

- New Seats

- New Door Panels

Phase III. Axels / Ride Height Dilemma

Phase IV. Paint

Phase V. - Wildcard Bolt Ons (Bumpers, lightbar, Winch, Etc)

ETA - One Day

New Dash, Stereo & Center Console Installed.

Thinking lizard skin, dynamat & fresh carpet will be next. Gonna have to wait for some snow to melt first tho. 20 degree weather and no garage space decreases motivation exponentially.

any chance you can help me understand the plumbing for the heater lines? maybe a couple detailed pictures. I think i maybe have something mixed up on mine. My rear heater blows hot but not my front. Its T into the rear but the hose doesn't seem hot past the T

It’s been about a year since my build. Must say haven’t been too active on mud. I lurk here and there though. Motor is running good! No major updates. Filled up my power steering fluid today. You get the jist of the update news.

Been so busy with the kiddo and another on the way that any major FJ revisions are on the back burner (just for a little bit). I know, I know... I have a hard time saying that too).

But.... life lessons on the things that matter most can be learned at 2 years old and re-learned at 39 years old. It’s a mad world! However, if the FJ keeps mean mugging me each day, I’m sure I’ll open a can of worms sooner or later. :p

4054BB1B-F370-4BBE-A4C6-F5B4FCDED09C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom