58/59 FJ25 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So does that mean that if I go with tubes I also need to find some rubber bands?
Dumb question...do they sell these??

The next question is do you guys back east still have that rubber band on all your wheels or are you risking have those round rivet holes wear a hole in the tube?

This is going to be a good one! I love the super vintage restores. Watching with anticipation!

~Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

The next question is do you guys back east still have that rubber band on all your wheels or are you risking have those round rivet holes wear a hole in the tube?
Yes, keeps the centers from rusting. :)

So in the past month in a half I have managed to collect some of the parts that i need for the restoration. THANK YOU everyone who has helped out with my parts list.

During the winter my Cruiser spent some time on the frame machine at the body shop. Because it had rolled the rear quarters were bent in a little from the B pillar back. They were straightened but still needs a little tweeking to be better.

Since I got it back its mostly been sitting under a tarp, until last week when it went inside the shop for the first time.

I pulled the fenders,bib, and running boards off. Straightened the d-side fender and running board. I also banged out some random dents, and the dents in the d-side rocker panel. Going to work on the p-side this weekend.

I know that the steering knuckle arms dont look right in the pictures, but wanted to double check. They look like they have been cut/bent/reinforced. They aren't uniform at all.

If they dont look correct, does anyone have a spare set of steering knuckle arms?
IMG_1500.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg
IMG_0255.jpg

Last edited:
Those arms have been altered to clear regular rims. I probably have a set, I'll take a look.

I have replaced mine on our '64 FJ40 and over here there called rust bands. 15 inch band are not available and I made mine from 10 inch inner tubes. Cut very carefully with no sharp edges that will damage the inner tube. 45mm wide and they snapped on perfectly.:)
Regards
Steve

Finally got started again. All my free Cruiser time has been taken up by my friends rusty red 79 FJ40, and another friends not so rusty 76 FJ40.( no photo of 76)

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3884.jpg

Last edited:
I got every hole patched except the floor of the bed. I need to remove the body to fix that. Its in good shape, just needs to be banged back into shape, then fill holes. Ill do the rear sill at the same time.

Also spent some time on the other parts.( fenders, aprons, windshield frame etc...)

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

I was working on some of the small parts the other day and found this stamp on the inside of the lens cover of rear license light bracket. The (what i think is the part #) is R3-211.

Does anyone know what years had the tall 24mm lug nuts. I have a mixture some short some tall. Ive mostly seen the tall ones up to around 1963, i was wondering if the short ones were for earlier models??

IMG_3936.JPG

IMG_3940.jpg

That's pretty cool the stamp survived in that light. The R- is part number for the Toyopet sedan where it was also used between the bumper and trunk lid. I believe the short lug nuts were only used on the spare tire mount, tall lug nuts on all the road wheels.

Looking good, nice to see someone working on their projects. :)

I was working on some of the small parts the other day and found this stamp on the inside of the lens cover of rear license light bracket. The (what i think is the part #) is R3-211.

Does anyone know what years had the tall 24mm lug nuts. I have a mixture some short some tall. Ive mostly seen the tall ones up to around 1963, i was wondering if the short ones were for earlier models??

That's pretty cool the stamp survived in that light. The R- is part number for the Toyopet sedan where it was also used between the bumper and trunk lid. I believe the short lug nuts were only used on the spare tire mount, tall lug nuts on all the road wheels.

Looking good, nice to see someone working on their projects. :)

Curious Jim where you found the info on the lug nuts? Looking in the hard copy of the 63 version of the FJ25 parts book it doesn't even show the spare tire carrier we got in the US just the earlier version. The R on the license plate light I believe is the get away for the Toyopet part. Again my parts book shows nothing on the light for our 25s. Do we know for sure if the lens is NLA? Is there any demand to reproduce them?

Curious Jim where you found the info on the lug nuts? Looking in the hard copy of the 63 version of the FJ25 parts book it doesn't even show the spare tire carrier we got in the US just the earlier version. The R on the license plate light I believe is the get away for the Toyopet part. Again my parts book shows nothing on the light for our 25s. Do we know for sure if the lens is NLA? Is there any demand to reproduce them?

:lol:That's why I said "I believe", only because the number of shorts and longs I have roughly matches the number of trucks I parted out, and I've seen them on the carrier. But since you made me check, the lug nuts in the parts book on the axle are 90942-01005 and the hardtop shows the conventional carrier with 94110-41200 shown for lug nuts with a quantity of three. ;)

Never saw a part number for the license lamp, I can check my lens to see if there is something on there. Maybe someone has a Toyopet parts book? I think I found another application that uses the reverse lamp shown in the parts book, I'll post up in a separate thread sometime.

:lol:That's why I said "I believe", only because the number of shorts and longs I have roughly matches the number of trucks I parted out, and I've seen them on the carrier. But since you made me check, the lug nuts in the parts book on the axle are 90942-01005 and the hardtop shows the conventional carrier with 94110-41200 shown for lug nuts with a quantity of three. ;)

Never saw a part number for the license lamp, I can check my lens to see if there is something on there. Maybe someone has a Toyopet parts book? I think I found another application that uses the reverse lamp shown in the parts book, I'll post up in a separate thread sometime.

I checked this weekend, and I have 20 of the short lug nuts, 6 tall. I guess they were either replaced with small ones at some point, or maybe the small ones were on earlier Cruisers???

Im assuming that 90942-01005 is the tall ones, and the other # is the short one?

Thanks Jim for making the repair manuals available , I had the CD turned into books.
I started to go through the electrical this weekend, and it was nice to have a dedicated manual for it.

IMG_3961.jpg

Thanks Jim for making the repair manuals available , I had the CD turned into books.
I started to go through the electrical this weekend, and it was nice to have a dedicated manual for it.

Curious the cost to have this done? I am living in the past and would really rather have a paper copy I could put my greasy hands on.

Curious the cost to have this done? I am living in the past and would really rather have a paper copy I could put my greasy hands on.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm thinking between 40 and 60 dollars. I was surprised that it was so cheap because I had them bound and had the cover page in color. You could go cheaper with just the paper copies, but making them into books is pretty nice.

Even if I had the real books, I would probably go this route to prevent greasy hands or ripping the old manuals since they are so rare and old.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm thinking between 40 and 60 dollars. I was surprised that it was so cheap because I had them bound and had the cover page in color. You could go cheaper with just the paper copies, but making them into books is pretty nice.

Even if I had the real books, I would probably go this route to prevent greasy hands or ripping the old manuals since they are so rare and old.

For that price I would have gone the same route and X2 using repo in the shop and keeping a originals inside.

I am kicking around the idea of reproducing some of the license plate light lens. Only good one I have is from #16 which had the main housing dented.:confused: Anyway if their is enough interest might make some out of plastic, would think glass would be out of the question. This might be a home project.

For that price I would have gone the same route and X2 using repo in the shop and keeping a originals inside.

I am kicking around the idea of reproducing some of the license plate light lens. Only good one I have is from #16 which had the main housing dented.:confused: Anyway if their is enough interest might make some out of plastic, would think glass would be out of the question. This might be a home project.

I was going to try some 1/8" or 3/16" plexiglass, heat it with a heat gun and try to shape my own light lens for the 25. ( and my LWB 45 license plate light as well)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom